Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nobel Peace Prize committee at it again
The internet!?! Are you insane?
In all honesty, I have to say that it is a far better choice to what has recently been winning the prize. After Algore and Obama, what else could be worse?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I have to say it makes far more sense than algore and obama.

although I have to wonder... are they going to award it to the people who created the internet, or are they going to give it to THE internet itself?

because the first part makes sense, but the second part would be downright moronic if they actually went though with that.
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!
Aurora Moon Wrote:although I have to wonder... are they going to award it to the people who created the internet, or are they going to give it to THE internet itself?

Probably to the Internet creator, who they most likely think is

Al Gore!

[Image: thudal5.gif]
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
It isn't the creators of the internet who were nominated. That wouldn't be too bad. It was the internet itself that was nominated.
I will accept the nomination for the Internet. I could use the cash.

Hey!, I'm as good a choice as anyone.
I take that back - I am a better choice than Al Gore. He claimed he invented the Internet, because he was put in charge of a project to make an anti-Internet, actually an intranet called the Internet II to be used in education. His handlers and he used the phraseology from bits and pieces of many speeches and presentations he made and purposefully melded the two together, especially at less-informed rallies of older voters to make them think he was responsible for the real Internet. It was a callous strategy, which I personally heard him use. When caught by those who knew better, he would then qualify his grandiose claims and refer to the real project he was involved with and point to the speeches given at more knowledgeable rallies, where he was required to talk straight.

If anyone deserves a Nobel for the Internet, it would be that young scientist who had the idea to tie together several French and Swiss nuclear labs, or else Otlet. ARPA came later.
The idea is seducing.
The problem is that the internet is not an organisation, it's a technology like electricity or railroads. It can be used, and it is, for both peace and war.
You can nominate for the Peace Price a thing that includes Jihadist websites, the Iranian Atomic Agency portal and neo-nazy forums.

But after nominating Obama and Arafat, the commity is obviousely not thinking that far.
Fredledingue Wrote:But after nominating Obama and Arafat, the committee is obviously not thinking that far.

And Gore.

Also, I agree with most of what you said, Fred, you just went too far -

" the committee is obviously not thinking" - end the sentence there.

(Spell check fixerated everything.)
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Let's nominate 'Q' for the Nobel Prize.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The EU gets Nobel Prize of Peace Fredledingue 0 1,008 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Last Post: Fredledingue
  Guess who is nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize? Canuknucklehead 11 5,196 02-10-2012, 01:16 AM
Last Post: Gunnen4u
  Recent Nobel Peace Prize Palladin 7 2,425 05-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Last Post: JohnWho
  Sheehan and Nobel Peace Prize? John L 8 3,274 10-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Last Post: eaglestrikes
  Mohamed ElBaradei wins Nobel Peace prize. WmLambert 5 3,147 10-14-2005, 07:20 PM
Last Post: WmLambert