Poll: Is it time for the US to lift the Cuba trade embargo?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes lift it all immediately
25.00%
1 25.00%
Yes lift it all conditionally on actions from Cuba
50.00%
2 50.00%
No, leave the current special rights for Cuban Americans
25.00%
1 25.00%
No, and also cancel the special rights for Cuban Americans
0%
0 0%
No opinion, not familiar with the issue, other ...
0%
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it time for the US to lift the Cuba trade embargo?
Our esteemed President Barack Hussein Obama (from now on to be referred to as the apple of my eye \S2/ ) has deemed it appropriate to loosen up just a little on the trade restrictions to Cuba. This involves special rights for Cuban Americans. Personally, I am very offended by that.

I favor:

Fully lifting the trade embargo with Cuba without any conditions, for these reasons:

-- the embargo didn't work
-- the only reason the embargo lasted as long as it did was the bizarre power base of right wing Cuban Americans in Florida
-- those very same Cuban Americans are now in favor of lifting the embargo by a slim margin (so the domestic political reason is gone)
-- Americans are supposed to be free and allowed to travel anywhere we wish, I have always resented this travel restriction
-- The embargo has just helped our trade competition who now are firmly established in Cuba, Venezuala, China and Spain for examples
-- Special rights for Cuban Americans is extremely offensive. I oppose special rights for any class of Americans, for example the special rights currently enjoyed by heterosexuals, and denied to homosexuals

So how did you vote in the poll, and what are your reasons?
The Cuban embargo has been a huge failure. For many years, I have been against an embargo on Cuba, because it has done absolutely nothing but hurt the little guy, not Fidel and his gang of tyrants.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I agree with that. Being pro free trade and travel with Cuba is not the same as being pro Castro. I also detest Castro, as well as the neo Castro, Chavez.
Thaiquila Wrote:I agree with that. Being pro free trade and travel with Cuba is not the same as being pro Castro. I also detest Castro, as well as the neo Castro, Chavez.

I hope you are not expecting the "Apple of Your Eye" to lift the embargo. He's already in enough trouble, that doing such would cause his poll numbers to drop even further. After all, he has to keep them up a little bit in order to ram through more outrageous spending, so the country can go bankrupt sooner.

You DO know that we are about at that point now, don't you?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I do realize I am going to have to be very patient with President Apple Of My Eye \S2/ over the course of his progressive two terms in office.

I share your fiscal concerns. That is why I support George McGovern's idea to extend Medicare to all citizens. That way we cut out the parasitic health insurance scam industry which takes 30 percent of all our health care costs. For health care we need both full access and radical cost cutting. One or the other will not do.

Its really great that we seem to be agreeing on just about everything these days!
We need to give sanctions time to work.

:lol:
Pixiest Wrote:We need to give sanctions time to work.

:lol:
Good one.
Conditionally, if the Cubans will give back the private property stolen from the family of my friend. I realize that the pharmacy was trashed and rendered unusable a week after being seized - but it is the principle of the thing.

BTW to Michael Moore: How can Cuba's health care be so good when all the pharmacists were considered wealthy and had their stores and drug supplies seized one day - destroyed the next - and never restored?
Why should Cuba have to meet democratic conditions? That is outdated imperialism. We trade with many countries that do not meet such conditions. Why do we persecute Cuba?

Cuba has good health care for a poor country. Everyone has access but the quality is rather basic and they don't have access to all the latest stuff, partly due to our embargo.

The USA is wealthy enough to provide good quality access to all our citiazens. But we don't unlike all the other advanced industrialized nations. Our health care system is a shame and an embarrassment.
I think it should be lifted now,not during the cold war.
Thaiquila Wrote:Cuba has good health care for a poor country. Everyone has access but the quality is rather basic and they don't have access to all the latest stuff, partly due to our embargo.

I was agreeing with you, up to that point. I've seen pictures of their hospitals, and I wouldn't wish them on even you TQ. If you think they offer good health care, your standards are pretty low.

Quote:The USA is wealthy enough to provide good quality access to all our citiazens. But we don't unlike all the other advanced industrialized nations. Our health care system is a shame and an embarrassment.

Wealthy? Let's see, how many trillion dollars in debt are we? Where are we going to get the money for it? We are bankrupt, to the point where we are just one step away from filure to meet our obligations, and you think we are wealthy?
H. L. Mencken
Quote:Special rights for Cuban Americans is extremely offensive. I oppose special rights for any class of Americans, for example the special rights currently enjoyed by heterosexuals, and denied to homosexuals
You did good til you got there.
No Go.
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government
Edward Abbey
[Image: eagle_1721.png]
I wonder if the average Cuban hospital is better than the ones where I live? I can't say,just wondering. I tend to think not. What's the deal here??? Thaquila and Pixie?
What a boring thread.

It's TQ with some stupid shitwipe sheet of music like always and he throws it out there most likely knowing it'll get shut down and cease to play.

Really, it's all the same unsubstatiated and incoherent or dogmatic statements as usual.

I am so not amused. Let's fire up the woodchipper and start getting some real work done. I know one person that we could toss...

I do want Cuban Cigars though. Something about the leaf and soil.
It saddens me to report that Juan Almeida Bosque, a giant and hero of the 1959 revolution which led to the buildup of a fair and just society in Cuba, passed away last week.

[Image: ce-juan_almeida_bosque.jpg]
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
So? What does that have to do with lifting the embargo?
H. L. Mencken
quadrat Wrote:It saddens me to report that Juan Almeida Bosque, a giant and hero of the 1959 revolution which led to the buildup of a fair and just society in Cuba, passed away last week.

I'm shocked that the US MSM hasn't reported this.

Shock
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
He was one of the heroes who made the revolution happen, against which the embargo was completely useless, wasn't he? There are no destitute or homeless people in Cuba, there is no illiteracy, no hunger, nor lack of health insurance. That's Cuba, not the USA.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
quadrat Wrote:He was one of the heroes who made the revolution happen, against which the embargo was completely useless, wasn't he? There are no destitute or homeless people in Cuba, there is no illiteracy, no hunger, nor lack of health insurance. That's Cuba, not the USA.

And you're derranged, we're not.

Don't let TQ bring you down, man. At least you were somewhat interesting for a time.
Don't lump me in with Thai. I don't buy for a second that Cuba has health care anywhere close to ours.

My joke about giving sanctions time to work was a reference to what the left says every time we need to invade somewhere. They always want to give sanctions time to work.

But here it is 40+ years later and they never worked for Cuba and they'd never work for anywhere else either.