Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iraq PM makes first foreign trip
[Image: _41167365_jaafari2203body.jpg]
Talks between the prime ministers are said to have been productive

Iraqi Prime Minister Ibrahim Jaafari has been holding talks in Turkey, on his first official foreign trip since the new government was formed.
Mr Jaafari and his Turkish counterpart Recep Tayyip Erdogan reached agreement on security co-operation and increased power supplies, Turkish officials said.

Electricity exports will be more than tripled to provide a fifth of Iraq's supply and help ease ongoing shortages.

Turkey also offered help with military training and security.

Agreement was reached to open a second border crossing.

Mr Erdogan also handed Mr Jaafari a list of names of people - believed to be Kurdish paramilitaries - who Turkey wants extradited for allegedly carrying out attacks.

The physical security of Turkish lorry drivers in Iraq - around 100 of whom have been killed - was also discussed.

In a separate development, the European Union and United States are to sponsor a 25-nation conference on rebuilding Iraq, to be held in Brussels on 22 June.

Pressure

In a news conference with Mr Erdogan after their meeting, Mr Jaafari outlined a number of security measures, including border controls, the monitoring of insurgent groups and persuading neighbouring countries to prevent infiltration by foreign fighters.

He said his government would also soon have talks with another neighbour - Syria.

""There are some armed groups infiltrating from Syria," he said. "We will talk about how much the Syrian government knows about these infiltrations."

"There will be a visit to Syria soon and one of the dossiers will be security."

It is not clear whether Mr Jaafari himself will go to Syria.

On Wednesday Iran said it would tighten security on its border, and denied any role in supporting insurgents.

More than 400 people have been killed in an upsurge in violence in the three weeks since Iraq's new government was unveiled on 28 April.

Diplomatic coup

Although the Turkish government is well used to receiving foreign visitors, there is particular pleasure amongst officials about this one, says the BBC's Jonny Dymond in Ankara.

Not only is it the first visit Mr Jaafari has made since his government was formed, but he is also accompanied by a high-powered ministerial team.

The ministers of finance, oil, water, electricity and industry were all expected to have talks with their Turkish counterparts.

Before the first Gulf War in 1991, Iraq was a major trading partner of Turkey's, but that trade virtually halted during the 1990s.

Turkey had high hopes of a resumption in the aftermath of the US-led invasion. However, the lack of security in Iraq has kept many Turkish firms away from the country.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/mi...564799.stm
I personally think Turkey could be very helpful to Iraq,but I think Turkey needs to take a longer view than just the PKK problem. If Turkey can assist with training(and should always have been urgently offering this help it seems to me)their police and Army,this will only help create the stability the Turks need to do business with their southern neighbors.

It also would facilitate the transfer of Iraqi oil to Turk ports,which would enhance Turkish revenues from pipelines.

I think Turkey,just like the most of Europe,has held back from really assisting these people simply because the USA is involved. Let someone's grandmother get raped before your eyes because someone else you don't like gave her a free cup of coffee.

That's the general attitude of western Europeans and Turks,IMO.
drivers killed in Iraq. I think if security gets improved we will see much more Turkish involvement in businesses.
Quote:Electricity exports will be more than tripled to provide a fifth of Iraq's supply and help ease ongoing shortages.

If this doesn't directly sway the Iraqi people away from the terrorists, then I'd be surprised. This will seem like a gift from Allah, and Iraqi families will begin to reminisce about the "good old days" when Turkey was such a strong trading partner.

Besides throwing stones at buses, how will the Muslim fundamentalists compete with this? How do they win the hearts and minds of the people when all they do is make things worse?
William,

The radicals aren't into winning hearts,but they are into winning minds.

FEAR is how they win. I gotta hand it to the Iraqis,they are not going to let these really good mass murderers stop them,they are impressive in the courage department.
You know, looking at all this ethnic violence, and Turkey's war with the Kurds, wouldn't just be easier to take these people and just divide them up in their region of ethnicity, as to do away all the religious and ethnic warfare?
If historically people thought along that line, today we would have thousands of countries instead of just over 250 countries in this world.

For starters we would have at least North and South United States, perhaps even West and East United States, or even 50 Nations instead of 50 States. On the second thought, there would be even many Indian Nations between these nations.
Of course, but that wasn't my point.

In places such as the middle east where wars between various ethnicities occur all the time, wouldn't it be a better idea?

The same could go for Africa and the Balkans.
Meant to add:

The US doesn't have ethic wars or internal religious wars. There may be some events, but they are only events and not war.
It's NOT a terrible idea. In America,we tend to get along,but say in the Balkans,it would have saved a lot of lives to simply carve out Serb,Croat,Muslims regions along natural boundaries.

Bulgaria and Turkey had a massive transfer of people to prevent just that I think in 1989.
Plug in geography to the equation. Even though these regions seem to be cheek-to-jowl, they are usually separated by impassable deserts or mountain ranges, or other dividing things. In barbarian times, they were safely separate, but as camels were introduced to the desert, the nomadic tribes began wide-scale trading and had to learn to play nicely together.

As technology grows on an exponential basis - even in Arabia - dividing lines become less and less distinct and people merge without buffers. I'm sure this has been painful to the insular and inferior groups when exposed to things bigger than their petty viewpoints.

There is no alternative, These groups must learn to behave.
The Kurds have a natural boundary,but the Shiite Arabs have none between them and the Sunnis in Iraq. People,we will always have war,get used to it.

Some of us are hard headed,the Turks and Kurds are both,so they will never get along in the sense I get along with my black co-workers,they have seperate cultures and identities.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Iran leader in landmark Iraq trip Kamil 5 2,003 03-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Last Post: John L
  Most Foreign Terrorists in Iraq Are from ...????? Palladin 19 4,774 07-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Last Post: Achilles