Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is this called in the North?
I remember someone posting about Southerners and Racism.
What is this called in the North? I'm Curious?

Philadelphia-Area Swim Club Accused of Racial Discrimination

A private swim club in suburban Philadelphia allegedly discriminated against minority children from a city day camp, denying the campers re-entry amid claims of racism, camp officials claim.

Alethea Wright, executive director of Creative Steps Inc., told MyFOXPhilly.com that the camp's check for $1,950 was returned after just one 90-minute session on June 29 at the Valley Club in Huntingdon Valley.

"I get a phone call from the board chair saying, 'You're no longer going to be able to swim here,'" said Wright, adding that she was not given a specific reason. "The other members were taking their children out while our children were swimming."

Wright said several African-American children of the 65 participants in her program allegedly overheard a Caucasian woman complaining about their presence at the pool.

John Duesler, president of the swim club, told FOX 29 in Philadelphia that the club "underestimated the impact the children would have." They "fundamentally changed the atmosphere" at the pool, he said.

Duesler insisted that race had "nothing" to do with the club's decision to rescind the summer-long agreement, but admitted that several club members had complained about the group. Duesler said those complaints were not race-related.

Camp officials, meanwhile, are not convinced.

"If the children didn't misbehave, we paid our membership in full, here's the check to prove it, what else could it be? We were the only minorities there,” Wright told MyFOXPhilly.com.

Parents and staff members at the day care are reportedly considering legal action against the swim club. Camp officials could not be reached for comment on Thursday and a voicemail box at the swim club was full.

The club sits on more than 10 acres of land and a houses a 110,000-gallon pool, according to its Web site. A single membership at the club, chartered in 1954, is $395 per year.

More here.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,5310...latestnews
A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government
Edward Abbey
[Image: eagle_1721.png]
Yes, racism is the great tragedy of our time. There are examples of hospitable people though, who embrace other cultures with warmth.

Video: Americans Are Welcome In Israel
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
IMO,that's typically "religious fanatic" antipathy to anyone who isn't one of them.

You can find it globally,including in atheist camps where they are aggressively hostile to Christians especially as you say you are.

I've said it often,the Jewish leadership in 30 AD to 70 AD made Bin laden look learned and reasonable. More like Zarqawi they were and these are their "spiritual heirs".

If these guys made a majority,they'd be murdering even their fellow Jew that didn't buy their line.

Now,go to India and do one on fanatic Hindus who murder Christians or Muslims,go to Africa where pagans threaten Christians to this day and yea,there are some Christians somewhere acting like this as well because some people are just so arrogant they can't leave room for others in their orbit.

Atheists are just as religious as anyone is with more certitude,IMO.
And then there is this....

And, what about the Uighurs and Han?

Is it a case of the Green Monkey Syndrome? "catch a monkey, paint it green and the rest of the monkeys will kill it just because it is different".

We go around and around with this racism thing. Yet peoples who are almost genetically and visually indistinguishable hate and/or slaughter each other day in and day out. All of us can think of many examples of this, e.g. Amerind vs Amerind, Irish vs Irish, Christian vs Christian, Chinese vs Chinese, Slovak vs Slovak, Arab vs Arab, ... .

Blame placing gets a bit tiresome, since all groups practice it against others. The problem is how to get beyond violence and to inculcate tolerance. One cannot hope for more than tolerance or forebearance, since the human psyche almost always suspects the stranger.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Palladin Wrote:IMO,that's typically "religious fanatic" antipathy to anyone who isn't one of them.

You can find it globally,including in atheist camps where they are aggressively hostile to Christians especially as you say you are.
There is a difference between you and me, Palladin. I wouldn't force you to have sex with a man, to have an abortion, to teach religion in science classes, or to forgo your faith in that Lord of yours. I just want you to stay the fuck away from my life. And what the hell is an "atheist camp"? We arrive at the conclusion there is no God by own deliberation, while you had faith inculcated long before you could make your own decisions, and you never questioned it.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Devil's advocate POV for exclusionary action:

Most owner's groups have rules that forbid things that might drive down property value, like old refrigerators in the front yard, or uncut lawns, etc. A community usually reserves joint assets, like community swimming pools, for their own use. Residents need a key to get in.

The private club pool is a different matter - but the mindset that pertains to private use still exists. If a pool is routinely used by a few families at a time, then all of a sudden many kids (of any race) descends on it - there will be some people offended. A few kids: no problem. An attempt to "capture" the group asset by overwhelming numbers is a problem.

If the numbers were not ridiculous, and they were well-mannered, then there is no problem. If the regular families using it were generally quiet and private, and the newcomers loud and boisterous, then the complexion definitely changed. To Hell with ignoramuses who don't comprehend proper grammar and vocabulary, and instead use weighted ambiguity to claim victimhood.

The second problem is the discounted fee that allows someone to use the same facilities that regular members paid for at a much higher price. Sure, the regular club fee may cover other activities - but if each activity had a discounted fee, the regular members would still feel cheated.
Quad,

I wouldn't force anyone to do anything if I could,so your post makes no logic.
Palladin Wrote:Quad,

I wouldn't force anyone to do anything if I could,so your post makes no logic.

I think he's confusing you with one of those religious nutcases who forces his beliefs down others' throats.

If this is so, then I think he needs to go get his eyesight checked, as well as getting his brain adjusted just a little bit.
Quote: “A society that puts equality… ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality or freedom…a society that puts freedom first will, as a happy by-product, end up with both greater freedom and greater equality.” --Milton Friedman
relax. it's only the internet!