Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hawaii`s Gemini Observatory Catches Gamma Burst
Gemini has caught sight of the most distant object from us: a gamma burst 13 billion light years away.

Quote:Astronomers tracking a mysterious blast of energy called a gamma ray burst said on Tuesday they had snapped a photograph of the most distant object in the universe -- a smudge 13 billion light-years away.

Hawaii's Gemini Observatory caught the image earlier this month after a satellite first detected the burst.

"Our infrared observations from Gemini immediately suggested that this was an unusually distant burst, these images were the smoking gun," said Edo Berger of the Harvard Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics.

Distortions in the light signature of the object show it is 13 billion years old -- at the speed of light, 13 billion light-years away. A light-year is 6 trillion miles (10 trillion km).

This makes it easily the most distant object ever seen by humanity, Berger said.

Gamma-ray bursts are luminous explosions that mostly occur when massive stars run out of fuel and begin collapsing into either a black hole or a neutron star.

"I have been chasing gamma-ray bursts for a decade, trying to find such a spectacular event," said Berger. "We now have the first direct proof that the young universe was teeming with exploding stars and newly-born black holes only a few hundred million years after the Big Bang," he said.

This being the furthest thing we have ever glimpsed means also that this is the oldest object we have ever seen.

Edo Berger believes that gamma bursts lead to the formation of galaxies and his thesis can be partially seen here.
[Image: 760.png]
I wonder why they can't see the big bang itself. Must have been quite a firework.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Someday...

as far as experience and technology is concerned, viewing inter stellar explosions is only in the Jurassic Period. If Turing's principle can be applied to Telescopic technology, then it shouln't be very long before we view our auspicious beginnings...
Michio Kaku covered that in Physics of the Impossible. There are telescopes being devised that will be able to reach to the Big Bang. The James Webb Space Telescope, scheduled for a 2013 launch will be able to see back to within 400 million years of the Big Bang, which should let us see the first bright objects, the origins of planetary systems, and the assembly of galaxies.
If there is a Big Bang to be seen because acording to the various theories, the Big Bang would have happened everywhere at the same time while the Universe itself was much smaller. In this case there would be no big explosion to observe. Nothing spectacular at all.
And as a matter of fact there is no center of the Universe where the famous Big Bang would be supposed to take place.
That's why we can see 13 Bln years old object without saying that the origin of the Universe is near this place.
Other theorists say that there were no Big Bang and God knows what we will see then. Stars, more stars and even more stars...

The time we see God hiding behind his Big Bang is still far away...
so farther down its just all turtles, eh?

who knows. the "center" you are refering to is subjective to dimension. I think most people discussing physics refer to the "center of the galaxy" as a point in timespace, not a simple location. The physical center of the universe would be filled with the newer objects while the older objects are pushed outwards.

also, if we can hear background radiation stemming from the Big Bang, then it is logical to presume we can see the Big Bang.

I also don't know many physicists who don't subscribe to the Big Bang...
The Big Bang has been disproved in many respects though not completely rejected. There are observed facts that just don't fit. One they expected a gradually slowing universe after the initial rapid expansion. The universe is speeding up though. Flying apart at an ever increasing rate.

I'm more interested in M theory myself.
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
scpg02 Wrote:One they expected a gradually slowing universe after the initial rapid expansion. The universe is speeding up though. Flying apart at an ever increasing rate.
Maybe the time dimension about to become space-like.
http://ai-jane.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10161
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
scpg02 Wrote:The Big Bang has been disproved in many respects though not completely rejected. There are observed facts that just don't fit. One they expected a gradually slowing universe after the initial rapid expansion. The universe is speeding up though. Flying apart at an ever increasing rate.

I'm more interested in M theory myself.

A speeding up dispersion of the universe does not in any way disprove the "Big Bang" theory.

And if it does, I am totally unaware of it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
John L Wrote:And if it does, I am totally unaware of it.

Well at least you admit it.
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
ghouillio Wrote:so farther down its just all turtles, eh?

No, no no no!
7 turtles carried by 4 elephants!

g Wrote:who knows. the "center" you are refering to is subjective to dimension. I think most people discussing physics refer to the "center of the galaxy" as a point in timespace, not a simple location.

Because they have no clue at all of what was going on so they invented a x dimension to satisfy evrybody's curiosity.

g Wrote:The physical center of the universe would be filled with the newer objects while the older objects are pushed outwards.
Not exactly: everything has been created at the same time, every object and any matter and other particles has the same age, but the image of the object far away from us are older.
There are no newer and older objects (if the BB theory is right), we only see them as if they were younger because light took many billion years from them to reach us.

g Wrote:also, if we can hear background radiation stemming from the Big Bang, then it is logical to presume we can see the Big Bang.
Yes. If this is actualy a Big Bang and not some random frying.

g Wrote:I also don't know many physicists who don't subscribe to the Big Bang...
It's a conveniant theory. At default of anything better.

scpgO2 Wrote:The Big Bang has been disproved in many respects though not completely rejected.
As I understood it's all about the dark matter.
One day they have seen it and the Big Bang theory is renforced, the next day another team said it's still missing by huge amounts... go figure.
Actually there are older and newer objects, not all matter was made at the same time. The heavier elements same from furnaces within suns which must have taken some time to form...
All matter was made at the Big Bang as hydrogen and helium. The rest of the elements were made in giant stars from those two.
The iron in your blood and the water you drink were once in the heart of a massive red giant star.

"I am made of the dust of the stars, and the oceans flow in my veins".
-Neil Peart, Rush (the band, not Limbaugh).
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
But if new suns are created by gamma bursts, then they are technically new.

“I'm too drunk to taste this chicken...” -Col. Sanders
Nothing is new.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.
not even extra dimensions..?
This has too much mysticism surrounding hwo the universe was created. Matter may not be new, but shyt like stars and galaxies, and pies, and ants, and solar systems, become new. Hell, we event invent new types of matter.

So, there, nothing is "old".
and nothing "new". there is probably just nothing.
ghoullio Wrote:not even extra dimensions..?

The eleven dimensions have always been there as well.
ah, yeah. eleven. riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NM Solar Observatory Closure: Whaa The Hell?............ John L 0 1,428 09-16-2018, 06:08 PM
Last Post: John L
  Black Hole Eats Star: Produces bright gamma-ray Belch John L 2 1,744 06-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Last Post: Gunnen4u
  Live Hawaii Tsunami Camera Canuknucklehead 18 3,573 03-11-2010, 02:11 PM
Last Post: JohnWho