Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope ignores terror attacks in Israel
Quote:Israel has summoned the Vatican's ambassador to explain why the Pope left the country off a list of those recently hit by terrorism.
Pope Benedict XVI on Sunday deplored attacks in "countries including Egypt, Turkey, Iraq and Britain".

Israel said he had failed to mention a 12 July suicide bombing in Netanya that killed five Israelis.

The foreign ministry said it would be interpreted as "granting legitimacy to... terrorist attacks against Jews".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4715959.stm

The Israeli PR machine is incredible. They do not seem to miss a diplomatic slip-up and never cease to bring it to the headlines.

I am sure the Israelis are watching this Pope carefully for the slightest hint of anti-Semitism, especially regarding his brief spell with the Hitler youth.

I am also sure no such complaints came from Palestine.
Benjamin, I recently made a comment about how the Russians were perhaps the most paranoid of any society in the world. They are too. But I forgot the Israeli. They are, without a doubt, the most paranoid of all people alive. And who can blame them?

If I had so many neighbors out to destroy me, and most other countries out to give me grief, I would be highly suspicious of EVERYONE.

And I don't think that other really appreciate this. Perhaps the Pope and his staff fail to realize this. Or maybe they do, and intentionally left them out for some reason. I wonder.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Ignoring terrorism in Israel was the standard policy of Vatican for a while. The Israelis generally ignored the ignoring, so the protest was somewhat unexpected.

Vatican's response (from Catholic News):

Quote:Responding to the Israeli complaint later in the day on Monday, papal spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls emphasized that the Pope condemned all forms of terrorism, and the suicide bombing that killed 5 Israelis in the town of Netanya on July 12 would certainly be included in that "general and unreserved" condemnation. Navarro-Valls noted that the Pope, during his Angelus remarks, had "referred expressly to the attacks "of these days," and listed only the most recent incidents. The bombing in Netanya took place 12 days before the Pope's audience, whereas the terrorist attacks on England, Egypt, Turkey, and Iraq has occurred within the past 72 hours.

I'm unsure if the response was lame or smart... but it was accepted.

Quote:Later in the day, the Israeli foreign minister adopted a more conciliatory statement, saying that he thought the Pope's failure to include Israel on his list of recent terror victims was "mistake and not a deliberate omission."

Lets see what happens. It does seem that Benedict is somewhat more anti-terror than the previous fellow, but changing the ways of a bureaucracy -- and this is what this all about perhaps -- takes time.

It is sad that BBC censored Benedict's response...but we should not expect much from them, should we?
Government is necessary because people left unchecked will do evil.

The government is composed of people left unchecked

Israel is and always has been #1 terrorist Islamic target,the Pope did not accidentally forget this anymore than Tony Blair did recently.

Catholic hierarchy is slow to face reality.

It wasn't until 1965 that the Catholic Church decided JEWS did not kill Christ.

That is a rather disgusting fact and worse,it seems much of European "atheist central" has some other cause for hostility to Jews.
Israel comes to everybody's mind. For years Israel was the only country targeted by brutal terrorism.
Who can forget Munich Olympics when on September 5, 1972, five Arab terrorists wearing track suits climbed the six and 1/2 foot fence surrounding the Olympic Village in Munich, Germany. Once inside, they were met by three others who had gained entrance with credentials. Within 24 hours, 11 Israelis, five terrorists, and a German policeman were dead.

In this case, I have to believe Vatican's explanation for the slip-up
John L Wrote:Benjamin, I recently made a comment about how the Russians were perhaps the most paranoid of any society in the world. They are too. But I forgot the Israeli. They are, without a doubt, the most paranoid of all people alive. And who can blame them?

If I had so many neighbors out to destroy me, and most other countries out to give me grief, I would be highly suspicious of EVERYONE.

I think just about most of us (bar perhaps the British) can blame Israel for being paranoid; they are after all one of the most precariously placed populations in the world.

Considering their basis for building settlements in the Middle East is determined on a text that was written thousands of years ago, of which origins and actually existence is still disputed, I am not surprised they are paranoid and emphatically attempting to justify themselves based on how they were treated in the past.

The first thing I would do if my neighbours were out to kill me is ask why. I would do this long before boarding up the windows and doors.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Australia ignores that Freedom is not Free quadrat 6 1,463 03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Last Post: quadrat
  Pope Again Attacks Islamic Tyranny Palladin 14 3,027 09-23-2007, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Palladin
  Israel Attacks Hezzbollah Leadership Palladin 0 926 07-19-2006, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Palladin