Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A New Kyoto Alterntive?
Here is an interesting article, New Asian-Pacific Climat Plan.

Quote:AUSTRALIA has joined the US, China, India and South Korea in a secret regional pact on greenhouse emissions to replace the controversial Kyoto climate protocol.

The alliance, which is yet to be announced, will bring together nations that together account for more than 40 per cent of the world's greenhouse gas emissions.

To be known as the Asia-Pacific Partnership for Clean Development and Climate, the grouping will aim to use the latest technologies to limit emissions and to make sure the technologies are available in the areas and industries that need them most.

The US and Australia have refused to sign the Kyoto protocol -- an international agreement setting greenhouse gas emission targets for developed countries by 2012. China and India are not limited by it because they are considered developing economies.

The interesting thing is that the fastest growing energy users, China, US, and India, are setting up their own alliance here.

I must admit that I never thought Russia would bow to the treaty. Somehow, I forgot to look at bribery being a deciding factor. However, I still think that Kyoto is a dead issue that hasn't bothered to lie down yet. It this alliance gets off the ground, I cannot see any way Kyoto can ever have any chance of continuing on other than on paper.

Comments?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I think this is brilliant for a number of reasons. First of all for the obvious that it will work toward a goal in a fair and equitable manner. We aren't being asked (demanded of) to leverage our economy against some still unproven cause of atmospheric change.

But also because it will put our detractors on the spot. That we would not only join, but drive the initiative for such an alliance will tell us just what the rest of the world's motivations really are. I will be especially interested to see what the Europeans have to say about it.
"Most people just want tomorrow to look pretty much like today." - Terry Pratchett
I also wonder what our good friend Tony Blair will have to say, as his recent trip here failed to budge his good friend GW toward accepting Kyoto?

I have always wondered why Blair has been so 'pushy' about this subject. It must be something British, as the Lady Thatcher helped start all this Global Warming hysteria in the first place.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I think it's one of those good intentions politics that show interest for global warming issues but offer no deadlines, no results, no actual plans and no reaction if it is not followed. Smokescreen, that's the word I was looking for.
Ščepec slaščic za mišičaste pešce s stičišča cestišč.
COS Wrote:I think it's one of those good intentions politics that show interest for global warming issues but offer no deadlines, no results, no actual plans and no reaction if it is not followed. Smokescreen, that's the word I was looking for.

Are you talking about Kyoto COS? S6
H. L. Mencken
John L Wrote:
COS Wrote:I think it's one of those good intentions politics that show interest for global warming issues but offer no deadlines, no results, no actual plans and no reaction if it is not followed. Smokescreen, that's the word I was looking for.

Are you talking about Kyoto COS? S6

Not funny. Kyoto has goals impossible to achieve and effects on environment hard to measure. This so called alternative has no defined goals and consequently no effects whatsoever.
So, in all your homourless concern, are you stating that our reach should exceed our grasp? In other words, set impossible goals rather than make them vague and easily obtainable, no matter the cost. S6

BTY, have you been collecting your "best of the best" statememts at "you know where " lately? I've had some nice ones, that I am afraid were not appreciated by anyone other than Zukiphile. Wink1
H. L. Mencken
John L Wrote:So, in all your homourless concern, are you stating that our reach should exceed our grasp? In other words, set impossible goals rather than make them vague and easily obtainable, no matter the cost. S6

I think that even a bad and costly plan is better than just ink on paper.

John L Wrote:BTY, have you been collecting your "best of the best" statememts at "you know where " lately? I've had some nice ones, that I am afraid were not appreciated by anyone other than Zukiphile. Wink1

Not lately. I have been away last week (vacation). Post those you have selected so I see what have I missed.
COS Wrote:I think that even a bad and costly plan is better than just ink on paper.

You're kidding! :o

This is starting to sound like a conversation on Canadian gun control. S6
"Most people just want tomorrow to look pretty much like today." - Terry Pratchett
The U.S. currently has extremely efficient climate control regulations compared to the big polluting countries. In almost every measurement possible, the U.S. has cleaned up far better than other countries. Our factories breathe forth clean white steam, in general, while other manufacturing countries still have factories pumping unbreatheable black smoke into the air.

I think the biggest concern we ever had with Kyoto, was that our past progress was unacknowledged and future improvements very expensive over and above what we already have accomplished. If this sets a level playing field, it can't be too bad.
I think you're right Wm. Part of the problem with Kyoto was that the individual partners weren't starting at the same baseline. Basically, start from where you are now and improve from there a certain percentage.

Its like forcing the same diet plan on two different people. The guy who weighs 350 lbs needs to lose 50% of his total within a certain time period. Now, apply that to the same guy who currently weighs 200lbs. Ideal for both is 175lb final weight. How is this plan fair for the latter guy? :?
A morning swim in the Hudson, anyone? S2
ag Wrote:A morning swim in the Hudson, anyone? S2

Rather the Hudson than the Yalloo or the Yangtse (sp for both - sorry).