Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big thanks to Bush from Iraqi Fundamentalist Moslems!
Iraq Constitution May Erode Women's Rights
Islam Plays Bigger Role in Proposed Chapter for Iraq's Constitution; Women May Lose Some Rights
By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
Jul. 26, 2005 - A part of Iraq's draft constitution obtained by The Associated Press gives Islam a major role in Iraqi civil law, raising concerns that women could lose rights in marriage, divorce and inheritance.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/print?id=978484
Kamil Wrote:Iraq Constitution May Erode Women's Rights
Islam Plays Bigger Role in Proposed Chapter for Iraq's Constitution; Women May Lose Some Rights
By QASSIM ABDUL-ZAHRA Associated Press Writer
The Associated Press
Jul. 26, 2005 - A part of Iraq's draft constitution obtained by The Associated Press gives Islam a major role in Iraqi civil law, raising concerns that women could lose rights in marriage, divorce and inheritance.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/print?id=978484

Not only that, but as I mentioned on another thread, they also propose to restrict Jews from being able to obtain citizenship along with others liberties. This is not good.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
I am sure Christians would get the same treatment.
Gunnen4u Wrote:I am sure Christians would get the same treatment.

I don't think so. Remember, Assyrian Christians are a pretty good minority living in iraq at this time. All the Jews were either hanged or run out of the country when Saadam took over.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Gunnen4u Wrote:I am sure Christians would get the same treatment.

Majority of Christians live in the Kurdish areas. Some Kurds, incidentally, still follow the old pre-Islamic religions. If the Kurdish region retains autonomy, the chances are that these minorities will be treated well, at the very least because the Kurds need good PR.
Government is necessary because people left unchecked will do evil.

The government is composed of people left unchecked

They already dropped the anti Jewish formality there,you guys need to get up to date.

Look,what ARAB on earth considers Jews equal to them?? NONE???

Right,NONE. So who here was stupid enough to imagine Iraqi Arabs suddenly were going to like Jews because the USA destroyed the Hussein regime? The formailty does not matter.

Let me help everyone here.

Arabs do NOT respect Jews. Muslims do NOT respect Jews,Christians,atheists/agnostics,pagans and females. So WHAT basis is there for anyone remotely imagining Iraq would freely develop a basis of law that consider females anything BUT a fearful sex object that will ruin males?

Guys,they are NEVER going to operate outside of their belief system,WHY on earth does anyone think they would or should?

Kamil,Muslims are not even free to worship Islam in Turkey as they are in America,if the government ever drops the anti Islam attitudes of Ataturk,females in Turkey will be treated like hogs like they are everywhere else in the Muslim world and the days of Attaturk are leaving Turkey,my guess is you will live long enough to see the veil return to Turkey as it already has to Egypt.

I'm sorry to inform everyone,but the Koran does NOT teach western enlightnement views guys,these are Muslims,not atheists or Protestant Christians.

What did anyone expect?????
If they make everyone equal before the law, eventually litigation will tend to equalize things. And too, perhaps much of the Turkish neighbor will rub off.

Also, Shiites traditionally have had much better relations with Jews than Sunnis.
H. L. Mencken
Personally I don't like head scarves, but I guess in democracy you have to permit whatever people want to wear.
I know that Erdogan's daughter attending University in California, because Turkish Universities do not permit head scarves.

However, even in the Ottoman times very few women wore veils.

Here is an image taken at a concert in Konya, Turkey
and published in Hurriyet (secular newspaper)

[Image: 0,,205436,00.jpg]

The article states that some young girls covered their heads, but forgot to cover their bellies :roll:
I'll bet you Turks are the scourge of the world of Islam. And to think that even your mosques are so beautifully constructed too. It must be a real scandal. I am amazed that you guys aren't also targeted more heavily.

I wonder if our damsel was wearing the scarf as a sun screen?
H. L. Mencken
I have heard some Arabs say that Turks must first become Christians before they can become Moslems :lol:
Here is an article by Mohammad of Iraq the Model . He seems to think already public opinion has gotten on the elected officials at least insofar as the constitution becoming TOO much Islamist in view. Let's wait and see what happens.

Incidentally,Turkey SHOULD be the biggest target of the current jihad. It's government is oppressive of traditional Islamic culture since the 1920s,the people are basically at least partially westernized,so WHY do the jihadists not attack these Turk "APOSTATES"? It's a heck of a question,why does Turkey not have Islamists constantly murdering them?
I'd like to know this answer. The al qaeda bunch always calls Muslims apostates that don't follow their thing.

http//iraqthemodel.blogspot.com/

An emergency conference...
Iraq's constitution drafting committee called for an emergency summit for the leaders of political parties and religious factions in Iraq in order to override the remaining obstacles that are hindering finishing the final points of the constitution.
The chief of the CDC, Humam Hammodi mentioned that they hope that the final draft will be available after the proposed Saturday conference which will be attended by Iraqi president Jalal Talbani and the president of the Kurdistan region Masoud Barzani.

This piece of news was mentioned this morning on several Iraqi newspapers and this call for a big conference obviously came after the semi-complete draft was released last Tuesday which was faced by a lot of disagreement and objections in the Iraqi street and from several political parties especially those of minorities.

The main points that are going to be discussed in this conference will-in my opinion-include the shape of the federalist system of the state, the issue of considering Islam the main source of legislation, the name of the state as well as case of considering Persian ethnicity among the components of the Iraqi society.

I have expressed my disagreement with the draft in the last post and actually I noticed that most of the people I met in the last couple of days share the same concerns I have and many people are disappointed by the weak performance of the CDC.
Let's not forget that many of the public opinion polls that were conducted in Iraq in the past two years showed that a maximum of 15% of the voters would favor an Islamic state, so if the Saturday conference failed in dealing with the above points I mentioned, then I expect this constitution will be rejected by the voters.

- posted by Omar @ 1401
Comments (59) Tuesday, July 26, 2005

If this is going to be the final draft, then I'm going
Most people believe than Westernization in Turkey began after 1920s, but that is not correct. You have to take into account that when Ottoman Empire was in it's Zenith, and Balkans, large parts of Africa and Middle East was under their control, their Turkish ethnic population was about 4 or 5 million. The lands they controlled was too big for the number of ethnic Turks to have strict control. They left the law and religious affairs in the control of local people.
While Sharia law was practiced in the Arab lands by local Arabs, it was never implemented fully in Anatolia where most of the Turks lived and not implemented at all in the Balkans where most of the Europeans lived.

Also, Westernization began by Sultans about 200 years before 1900, and Ataturk mostly speed-ed up the process. I don't know any Turkic country where religion controls all their lives, for some reason or other most Turks have never been extremely religious, this also applies to Turks who follow Christian, Shaman, Jewish, etc. religions.

I think I told this true story to you before, but for the interest of other people who have not heard it, I'm going to repeat it again.

About 50 years ago there was unrest in an Anatolian region between Sunni and Shiite religion followers, through many mediators finally peace was established. Ten years after peace was established by grandparents visited the region, and my grandfather asked from some of the Sunni residents how they were getting along with their Shiite neighbors.
They replied very good, and added "we don't know if they changed their religion to ours or we changed ours to theirs, but now we are getting along great".
No, I don't think that you told us that one. It is certainly a good one Kamil. Wink1
H. L. Mencken
Kamil,

Good story. My point was,Turkey is a Muslim state,but is as far from the culture that the fanatics desire,it makes me wonder WHY Turkey is not #1 target?

I have an opinion why.

Because the goal of the fanatics is WAY beyond punishing current "apostate" Muslims or shaping them into a Taliban style life. Their goals are to unify the ummah and they rule the caliphate themselves,all else is small potatoes to them.

If they achieve goal number 1,the rest is easy. That's why WE are the target right now,take the USA out of the international global cop role,no one now can replace us and they feel they could succeed.
due to it's past experiences with Asala and PKK terrorism might be a little better prepared in protecting against Al Qaida terrorism, but it is impossible to stop all terrorism.
Here is a related article to our subject
------------------------
Top police official expects al-Qaida to target Turkey within four months at 5:40 on July 29, 2005, EST.

ANKARA, Turkey (AP) - A top police official says he believes that al-Qaida will try to attack Turkey within the next four months.

The deputy chief of police for Istanbul says police in the city are monitoring some 1,000 people believed to have links to al-Qaida. Istanbul was the target of terror attacks in November 2003, when Islamic militants affiliated with al-Qaida bombed a London-based bank, the British Consulate and two synagogues, killing 58 people and wounding hundreds more.

Turkey arrested more than 60 people in connection with the attacks, and security officials say they have regularly foiled would-be attackers since then.

Police in Istanbul have stepped up security at subway and tram stations since the London bombings.

They have deployed plain-clothed officers and sniffer dogs trained to find explosives.

More police officers have also been assigned to guard the stations.

Authorities in Istanbul plan to increase the number of closed-circuit television cameras in the city.

"I expect a new attack in Turkey before November," said police official Sammaz Demirtas. "Eighty per cent of intelligence police officers are working on groups with a religious tint.

"We are watching 1,000 people whom we have established have ties with al-Qaida," he said.

Police officials have said they are focusing on hundreds of Turks who fought in Chechnya, Afghanistan or Bosnia, some as members of al-Qaida. Police fear Turks who fought abroad were trained or influenced by radical groups like al-Qaida.

Some of the suspects behind Istanbul bombings in 2003 have also fought in such countries.