Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Conrol of the South China sea
CHINA is building a large underground nuclear submarine base at its sub-tropical Hainan Island
Eventually, China has to oppose the domination of Pacific by the US navy, especially in the South China sea and in the Straits of Malacca. If they do not, many of their lifelines to resources (and oil) are subject to instant disruption. It looks like they are serious about it.

How long do you think it will be before the US is no longer a naval hegemon in this area? Will it matter if the US is not?
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
I agree,China cannot tolerate any power being hegemon there and why we want to be has always mystified me. It brought us into war with Japan and it has to with China unless we decide to fold the tent.

My guess,we'll fold when confronted,we're not made of the same starch preceding generations were,IMO.
Palladin Wrote:I agree,China cannot tolerate any power being hegemon there and why we want to be has always mystified me. It brought us into war with Japan and it has to with China unless we decide to fold the tent.

My guess,we'll fold when confronted,we're not made of the same starch preceding generations were,IMO.
--------------------------
China is investing heavily in its military. They are doing so because they are a strong economy now and they want to increase their security. No doubt they want to be a strong factor in the South China Sea also. Remember that vast oil deposits wait under the sea around Spratley Islands in the middle of the South China Sea. Both China, Vietnam and the Philippines have made their claims to these small islands...

/track_snake
Ergo, some kind of conflict of interest is brewing.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Yea and wisdom dictates we avoid this conflict. Is there any chance on earth even 20% of Americans would support a war with China? IMO,NO,so what wisodm is there in chancing it?

It's best to pull back now as opposed to losing a war anyday. That way,the other guys don't KNOW how weak you are,they always have to at least wonder.
And what happens if China pulls a Japan, without the Pearl Harbor fiasco? That is, China decides to exert military hegemony on SE Asia, after the US withdraws its Pacific fleet to more salubrious areas, and China avoids attacking US naval bases in the Pacific. Sort of a Chinese German expansion into its own region. Should the US or the world do anything?
JT,

From my perspective,the "world" isn't my business,but as an American,I consider what happens in Asia outside my personal responsibility. What happens here is within my responsibility.

If anyone tries to govern any of the Americas from outside(like Cuba vis a vis the USSR),that causes me heartburn,but the Asians,Europeans and Antarcticans,they can handle their own problems from my perspective.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Korea and China yohan 55 19,228 12-21-2017, 02:50 AM
Last Post: yohan