Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putin & All The Fine Young Cannibals!
Normally I would let Michael take this one, but I am being selfish and beat him to the punch here. It looks like the fearless leader Putin has stirred up the pot, outraging the European elitists by pulling something that only George Bush could do. I wonder if he will be castigated and have hundreds of political cartoons dedicated to his own lack of intellect?

Question: How many African societies have a history of cannabalization? And isn't this primarily found in South East Asia in and around Indoneasia? I wonder what the citizens of Borneo will think of this misplaced statement by Putin? Will they be outraged by the professional competition here?

Wink1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
That was not a misplaced statement by Putin. Cannibalism is still alive in central Africa, particularly the Congo region. I recall several times reading of African leaders eating their rivals in the 1970s and 1980s. The most famous was Idi "Big Daddy" Amin, but he was by no means unique. I just can't remember the names of some of the other African heads-of-state who ate their political opponents.

Currently, Pygmies are asking for help because they are being hunted as game animals by Congolese tribes.

Here are some links discussing cannibalism in Africa from a historical perspective and more recent dinning habits.

-S

http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/baker1.html

http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/congo2.html

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/dictat...amin-dada/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/page.c...ES'%20PLEA

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,...16,00.html
Quote:Normally I would let Michael take this one,

And what makes me an expert on Cannibalism?

Never mind.

It is known that cannibalism was a feature of most or all early human societies.

If you do a web search for "Cannibalism and Prions", you will find some interesting stuff which backs this assertion scientifically; incidentally, it might be interesting to see how the evolutionists reconcile the prion evidence (and the lack of cannibalism among the great apes) with their Human-from-the-Apes dogma.

The cultural evidence can be seen in the residuals present in many religions: Zeus eating his children, or Aztecs eating the hearts of sacrifice victims, or Christians eating the body of Christ.

We were all cannibals at one point.

Putin apparently thinks that the perceived lack of cannibalism in today's Russia is an indication of cultural superiority over the blacks who kept the traditions alive (Idi Amin is a good example, Emperor Bokassa is another, but in truth, we simply don't know who is a cannibal and who is not in Africa). You may agree or disagree with Putin.

(perceived==asacr, the Eastern Orthodox Church retains ritual cannibalism customs; it is very likely that Putin himself partook in them, and if so, he is on very shaky ground.)

Incidentally, cannibalism seems to be coming back in other areas; there were recent stories about a cultural revival in Germany.
Government is necessary because people left unchecked will do evil.

The government is composed of people left unchecked

mv Wrote:(perceived==asacr, the Eastern Orthodox Church retains ritual cannibalism customs; it is very likely that Putin himself partook in them, and if so, he is on very shaky ground.)

Are you referring to the Cummunion service? Amongst Roman Catholics, the process is called Transubstantiation, where the Bread actually becomes the body of Jesus Christ.

If there is something else involved, I'm interested in hearing about it. Wink1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Quote:Are you referring to the Cummunion service? Amongst Roman Catholics, the process is called Transubstantiation, where the Bread actually becomes the body of Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one. "becomes" is obviously a later layer as the catholics moved from physical to symbolic.

Incidentally, old versions of the Eastern Orthodox Lives of the Saints include a very relevant detail: a Saint (I *think* it was John Chrisostom, but may be wrong) observes a ritualistic drinking of blood.

mv Wrote:
Quote:Are you referring to the Cummunion service? Amongst Roman Catholics, the process is called Transubstantiation, where the Bread actually becomes the body of Jesus Christ.

Yes, this is the one. "becomes" is obviously a later layer as the catholics moved from physical to symbolic.

Incidentally, old versions of the Eastern Orthodox Lives of the Saints include a very relevant detail: a Saint (I *think* it was John Chrisostom, but may be wrong) observes a ritualistic drinking of blood.

Ahaaa! I got on.

The bible speaks of the bread of being the body of Christ, and the wine being his blood. Therefore, some congregations partake symbolically of the body and blood of Christ every Sunday, while some do on specific holiday. This is in observance of Christ's command to do in what is called the Last Supper in the gospels.

Let's see if this gets through and to the correct thread.

No Avatar, yet.
Solo~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
There are several issues that are a bone of contention between the Protestants and Roman Catholics. And clearly "Transubstantion" is the biggest of them.

Protestants, and Anglican Catholics, believe in the symbolic importance of the communion of wine and bread. Roman and evidentially Eastern Orthodox Catholics both believe in the actual conversion of wine to blood, and bread to body.

And yes that is symbolic cannibalism, in theory anyway. Wink1
H. L. Mencken
Yeah, Bokassa was one of the other prominent cannibals who didn't hide his love for human flesh.

We were all cannibals at one point

That fact that my ancestors 10,000 years ago may have been cannibals does not mean I have to accept the practice as ever being good, or that I have to excuse societies which currently practice cannibalism.

Putin apparently thinks that the perceived lack of cannibalism in today's Russia is an indication of cultural superiority over the blacks who kept the traditions alive

So what are you saying? Russians really are cannibals, but we just don't know it?

In any case, I would say lack of cannibalism in society is indeed an indication of cultural superiority. Of course, there are other measures too, such as lack of slavery, lack of stonings, lack of beheadings, and so forth. And then we get in to more refined considerations, such as freedom of the press, freedom of assembly, etc.

we simply don't know who is a cannibal and who is not in Africa

While such odious behavior might occur in a certain society, a huge consideration is how does society at large react? America's home-grown cannibal, Jeffrey Dahmer, was reviled and killed in prison. Let me suggest that a society in which people openly practice cannibalism can be labeled as a sick society, recognizing of course that not all individuals within that society practice cannibalism or condone it.

For what it's worth, I just can't see a cannibal ever being elected president of the US.

Eastern Orthodox Church retains ritual cannibalism customs; it is very likely that Putin himself partook in them, and if so, he is on very shaky ground

Since I don't particularly know the ceremonies of the Easter Orthodox Church, I'm not sure what you're referring to. But I've got a feeling that whatever these 'cannibalism customs' are, they don't involve slaughtering people and then eating them. That's got to count for something positive.

-S
John L Wrote:There are several issues that are a bone of contention between the Protestants and Roman Catholics. And clearly "Transubstantion" is the biggest of them.

Protestants, and Anglican Catholics, believe in the symbolic importance of the communion of wine and bread. Roman and evidentially Eastern Orthodox Catholics both believe in the actual conversion of wine to blood, and bread to body.

And yes that is symbolic cannibalism, in theory anyway. Wink1

Correct, John. As you know, this is why RC's don't munch their wafer. It would be breaking the body of Christ.

Slight change of subject, but don't want to change the subject of this thread: Glad to know you follow my biggest passion--that of decorating. At the moment, I'm no longer painting (oils), but my house has become my canvas. I work only to create. Truly. S2
Solo~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
OMG, You got my eye on! Shock

What is wrong with this computer???? Or, is it the site? I
Solo~

SoloNav Wrote:OMG, You got my eye on! Shock

What is wrong with this computer???? Or, is it the site? I

I added it for you. Wink1

I had to change the file format from 'gif' to 'jpg' to get it to work. Unfortunately, it will not be an active avatar as you may have hoped.

Sorry. It really looks good when it is doing it's complete thing :? S7
H. L. Mencken
Not an active avatar. What does that mean? That it won't replicate itself once I log off?
Solo~

SoloNav Wrote:Not an active avatar. What does that mean? That it won't replicate itself once I log off?

It means that three of the four little squares at the top left light up in succession, one after the other. Also, the markings at the bottom right also light up from left to right, again repeating the process. That is what I mean by being active. Wink1
H. L. Mencken
Quote:Since I don't particularly know the ceremonies of the Easter Orthodox Church, I'm not sure what you're referring to. But I've got a feeling that whatever these 'cannibalism customs' are, they don't involve slaughtering people and then eating them. That's got to count for something positive.

Same Communion thing as with RC's.

Quote:That fact that my ancestors 10,000 years ago may have been cannibals does not mean I have to accept the practice as ever being good, or that I have to excuse societies which currently practice cannibalism.

One should not rush into condemning cannibalism, just like everything else there are pluses and minuses.

To start with, it is a form of recycling, and therefore conservation; and anyone supporting of the environmentalist agenda should be equally supporting of cannibalism.

S6

All right, let me do comment on Mr. Putin. For a Russian, it is offensive to be compared with an African, and this his "gaffe" was a very natural (even if not a particularly PC) reaction.

Funny that we are bringing up this, but there was a graduate course on this subject. I did not take it as I was full tilt into the Physical Anthropology part of the department. Too much time working with skeletons and early man.

But one thing I remember is that primative societies do not tend to practice actual cannibalism, ie for food, as it tends to lead to strange deaths or bad conditions. Consequently, humans learned to steer clear, just as Jews steer clear of pork(triganosis).

However, from a religious standpoint, ritualistic cannibalism was practiced in primative societies becsuse of the symbolic transference of intelligence from the enemy's brain, or strength from muscles, etc. That is why the defeated and slain enemy has a portion of his brain consumed to become smarter.

Unfortunately, most of the problems come with eating parts of a contaminated brain. Too bad fellow. Wink1
H. L. Mencken
Quote:However, from a religious standpoint, ritualistic cannibalism was practiced in primative societies becsuse of the symbolic transference of intelligence from the enemy's brain, or strength from muscles, etc. That is why the defeated and slain enemy has a portion of his brain consumed to become smarter.

Vague recollections (I did not take a course either bad read on this): liver was also important, and it was not just from the enemies, but also from the elders; with the elders the rationale was the preservation of wisdom. RC's rituals are probably coming from this.

One should not rush into condemning cannibalism

You're right. I'll give the subject further consideration.

-S
Stars & Stripes Wrote:One should not rush into condemning cannibalism

You're right. I'll give the subject further consideration.

-S

Good for you. You should not harbor bad feelings toward what is emerging as the new liberal lifestyle Combining abortion clinics with cafeteria is the essential idea in the new political program of the progressive forces which will create millions of jobs.

And Baldar always stated that he had a "dry" sense of humour. Wink1

If he ever returns, perhaps you can give him some lessons Michael. S6
H. L. Mencken
Hey, get this one! Abortionist accused
of eating fetuses

Is this a case of cannibalism, or just someone with exotic culinary tastes? Obviously those foreigners do have strange ways Shock
H. L. Mencken