Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holes In Sun's Corona Linked To Atmospheric Temp Change
Duh!

Holes In Sun's Corona Linked To Atmospheric Temperature Changes On Earth

Quote:ScienceDaily (Mar. 15, 2000) — Brooklyn, NY -- An unusual interdisciplinary study by astronomers and climatologists has found a striking correlation between holes in the outermost layer of the sun--or the corona--and the globally averaged temperature of the Earth, suggesting that the Earth's atmospheric temperature may be strongly linked to solar magnetism changes over months or years.

In a paper that appears in the February 28 issue of the journal New Astronomy, climatologist Eric Posmentier of Long Island University's Brooklyn Campus, solar physicists Willie Soon and Sallie Baliunas of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and physicist Pius Okeke of the University of Nigeria chart temperature anomalies seen in the Earth's lower troposphere (i.e., the region of atmosphere in which we live) using Microwave Sounding Unit (MSU) radiometers aboard weather satellites.

The scientists compared the Earth's temperature with the size of coronal holes reported on the Sun during a two-decade period, starting in January 1979 and ending April 1998. Results show a clear drop in terrestrial atmospheric temperature after the Sun's magnetic field activity is most intense. At this point, there is a dropping off of magnetic activity and an enlargement of the coronal holes. "This is the first time anyone has combined these modern, reliable data sets to link solar activity and climate, and to cite several alternative mechanisms that might explain this link," Posmentier explained.

Coronal holes are, literally, gaps in the Sun's outer atmosphere through which the stream of hot, supersonic particles known as the solar wind pours out into space to engulf the entire planetary system. At Earth, this hot bath of charged particles produces the aurorae (i.e., the aurora borealis), interferes with electrical and radio transmissions, and may threaten passengers aboard high-flying airliners or astronauts aboard unshielded spacecraft. The solar wind has also been long suspected as a possible indirect contributor to terrestrial climate change.

Posmentier and colleagues think that the connection between the solar wind and climate may be more direct, suggesting that the charged particles hitting the Earth's atmosphere may affect the properties of terrestrial water clouds, particularly the percentage of those clouds covering the Earth. In turn, significant changes in the cloud cover influence the temperature of the lower troposphere, with temperatures falling with increased cloud cover. Another possibility is that the charged particles change ozone chemistry in the upper atmosphere, in turn affecting the dynamics of the climate.

The scientists note, however, that the charged particles hitting the Earth could come from either the Sun, or from galactic cosmic rays that are modulated by the solar wind. Or, from a combination of both sources. Regardless, the percentage of the Sun's surface covered by coronal holes seems to be a fairly accurate indicator of temperature in the Earth's troposphere over months or years.

The correlation comes with some caveats. As Posmentier and colleagues note, other major climate factors are also at work concurrently, thus complicating attempts to correlate Sun-Earth phenomena. Most notable in the past two decades have been the warming effects of the 1997-98 El Nino and the general cooling that followed the eruption of Mount Pinatubo in 1991.

According to Posmentier, their results do not rule out the possible climate influence of man-made fossil fuels, which have caused the atmosphere's CO2 levels to rise. "During some parts of the last century, as the amount of CO2 increased, the temperature increased," he explained. "I don't dispute that, and I'm not saying that CO2 can't have significant effects in the future.

"What I am saying is the data do not unambiguously support the contention that CO2 increases are the dominant cause of climate variability," he added. "There are other reasons for climate variations that are significant. In fact, we've found that the strongest correlation is the one between the area of the Sun's surface covered with holes and the globally averaged temperature of the Earth."

Support for this research came from the Mount Wilson Institute and the Electric Power Research Institute, with additional funding from the Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium, the Smithsonian Institution, the Richard C. Lounsbery Foundation, and NASA.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/200...080417.htm
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
Quote:Support for this research came from the Mount Wilson Institute and the Electric Power Research Institute, with additional funding from the Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium, the Smithsonian Institution, the Richard C. Lounsbery Foundation, and NASA.

Hmm... Electric Power Research Institute, sounds very industrial to me. I'm sure these findings will be shouted down by eco-maniacs as being tainted by greedy capitalists who don't care if they destroy the planet (which is screaming, by the way).

-S
Stars & Stripes Wrote:Hmm... Electric Power Research Institute, sounds very industrial to me. I'm sure these findings will be shouted down by eco-maniacs as being tainted by greedy capitalists who don't care if they destroy the planet (which is screaming, by the way).

-S

They give this credit at the bottom of their article.

Adapted from materials provided by Long Island University.
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
Stars & Stripes Wrote:
Quote:Support for this research came from the Mount Wilson Institute and the Electric Power Research Institute, with additional funding from the Massachusetts Space Grant Consortium, the Smithsonian Institution, the Richard C. Lounsbery Foundation, and NASA.

Hmm... Electric Power Research Institute, sounds very industrial to me.

Or not.

Maybe some research rather than speculation is in order?

I'll check on the Smithsonian Institution and NASA while you check on EPRI, OK?

:lol:

Seriously - "less emissions from the sun equals less heat on earth - more emissions from the sun equals more heat on earth" - while this statement oversimplifies the concept from that article, it gets a #-o from me, too.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
JohnHow wrote:
Quote:Maybe some research rather than speculation is in order?

Not really, I was just putting on my eco-maniac thinking cap. Do you really expect anything other than nihilistic speculation from the left? Facts don't matter, emotions do.

-S
scpg02, clutching at straws and warming the old sunspot crap over with a new term: coronal holes. They exist, and are linked to sunspot activity. At the solar minimum now, no sunspots and especially big coronal holes. Less energy output by the sun, less magnetic activity. Has been so for some time. Earth's temperature is rising anyway, due to AGW by greenhouse gases. Facts don't matter to the right-wing however, they rather gloat over nihilistic speculations.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
quadrat Wrote:Earth's temperature is rising anyway, due to AGW by greenhouse gases. Facts don't matter to the right-wing however, they rather gloat over nihilistic speculations.

No it hasn't. Seems like you are the one for whom facts don't matter.
I would say that this issue is neither nihilistic nor should it be in the Political realm.

It is purely scientific and should stay that way - at least until a real consensus is reached.

Temperatures rise, then CO2 levels rise, yet some say CO2 levels are making the temperature rise.

CO2 levels continue to rise, yet the temperatures stop rising.

Now, someone dares to suggest that more sun energy makes the planet warmer, less makes it cooler.

It is not unreasonable to ask for these issues to be resolved in a scientific manner, is it?

It is unfortunate that politics and the MSM won't allow that to happen.
John,
is this JohnWho your Mr Hyde allowed to babble all that incoherent stuff you don't dare to say with regard to your reputation?
quadrat Wrote:John,
is this JohnWho your Mr Hyde allowed to babble all that incoherent stuff you don't dare to say with regard to your reputation?

Uh, that makes absolutely no sense.

Please wait until the medicine takes affect and then try posting that again.

I'll wait here....

JohnWho Wrote:Please wait until the medicine takes affect and then try posting that again.

I'll wait here....

snickering
JohnWho Wrote:

I'll wait here....

Somehow, he thinks we are one and the same,...............well most times. Sort of like the Dr Hyde/Mr Jeckle he mentions.

But after all, we are the same, aren't we. Just two slightly different personalities. Wink1
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
John L Wrote:
JohnWho Wrote:

I'll wait here....

Somehow, he thinks we are one and the same,...............well most times. Sort of like the Dr Hyde/Mr Jeckle he mentions.

But after all, we are the same, aren't we. Just two slightly different personalities. Wink1

I'm certainly the same.

Don't know if that clarifies anything, though.

:?
John L Wrote:
JohnWho Wrote:

I'll wait here....

Fine, so you are not the same, but two slightly different personalities. Very slightly, indeed. How comes you right-wing folks are like clones of mind? Comparing the left ones here, grizz, stroll, gray ghost and me, there are great differences. I guess that because we come to our stances by reasoning and experience, while you guys are instructed with the very same club. Wink1
When you think that all who are opposed to you (the whole rest of the world, actually) are really just one person, you are just a step away from solipsism. Just out of curiosity, would Philip K. Dick be your favorite sf author?
quadrat Wrote:but two slightly different personalities. Very slightly, indeed. How comes you right-wing folks are like clones of mind? Comparing the left ones here, grizz, stroll, gray ghost and me, there are great differences. I guess that because we come to our stances by reasoning and experience, while you guys are instructed with the very same club. Wink1

And speaking of Herr Stroll, I wonder what happened to him? Is he laid up in some hospital somewhere?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ron Lambert Wrote:When you think that all who are opposed to you (the whole rest of the world, actually) are really just one person, you are just a step away from solipsism. Just out of curiosity, would Philip K. Dick be your favorite sf author?
I know you suffer from the delusion you are part of a majority, though most Christians would confirm that it's easier for a camel to pass trough the eye of a needle, than for you to enter heaven. Wink1
Latest from the climate boys,global cooling is reality:

HERE
Thanks for the heads up, Palladin.

*makes note to invest in long underwear*
Even the Beeb has this, but still hedges it with their usual "Plausable Deniabliality" routine.

[Image: _44538813_lanina2008.jpg]

But here is what I find so striking. Look at the small map showing the La Nina. Why aren't the temps at other spots around the world, especialy near the equator of the Atlantic or Indian Ocean, showing the same thing? Why in just one spot?

Well, I am still convinced that this change is guided not by any form of greenhouse gases, OR even effects from the sun. I still contend that this is due to a lack of undersea venting, from geo-thermal activity. The Pacific is the deepest oceans and closest to the earth's mantle, and it is only natural that there should be more release from the earth's heat there.

Several years ago I mentioned this to Dr Patrick Michaels, via telephone on a call in show, and he Poo-Pooed it as being not substantiated. But what else Could it possibly be? Clearly, if it is due to the sun, why not other places? I am convinced that there are two principle sources of heat for this planet: the sun And the inner core. La Nina's and El Nino's are most likely caused by undersea venting, or the lack thereof. Heat rises, in water as in air. If the layer of water just under the surface is warmer than usual it did NOT come from the sun, but from underneath, and that could only be from the floor of the seabed.

Here is an interesting article, Earthquakes Under Pacific Floor Reveal Unexpected Circulatory System

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exact ref on the CO2 delay on temp. mv 5 847 12-31-2009, 11:21 PM
Last Post: sunsettommy
  Climate Change Not Linked To Sun Activity quadrat 9 2,420 08-08-2009, 01:10 AM
Last Post: John L