Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Water Found On Mars!
More science information coming out. Water ice in crater at Martian north pole has now been found! This further solidifies the proof that "there be water everyhere Captain" throughout the solar system. I suspect that the sheer volume of water locked up on mars is also staggering, just as we are certain that there is also a great deal of it on the moon.

Water is the most useful resourse for man in space, as it provides water naturally, but oxygen to breath, fuel from both, and a means of insulation from harmful rays when traveling through space. If you keep a large volume between the crew and the sun, harmful rays will not penetrate the mass, thus acting as a shield to humans.

[Image: 212-010705-1343-6-3d-01-CraterIce_L.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
Look at this huge picture! And it is not the biggest one, but it is big enough to note all the water on the outer edges of the crater as well.

It seems that there is much more water there than we even dared hope.
And here is another thought. Out further is the Kiper Belt And the ort Cloud even further out, that we are certain contains billions of dirty snowballs there just waiting to be shook lose and allowed to be brought into the inner system for use by us when we are able to go out there and get them. All products of first or second generation stars that changed their hydrogen into other elements and then blew themselves apart.

A great opportunity for development. If there is not enough water on mars for converting into a livable planet, we can simply go out and get more to drop on to the planet for use.

Also, check this one out. Note that the crater in question is not the only one showing water either.

Here is a larger Black and white.

[Image: 209-010705-1343-6-nd-01-CraterIce_H.jpg][/url][/u]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Well this is awesome. I hope we don't fuck up mars as bad when we move there Wink1
John, is there any connection to these finding and those Miracle Rovers? is this evidence that they have picked up? or is this a small part of a larger operation for scouring every inch of the planet before a landing?
[Image: 760.png]
ghoullio Wrote:John, is there any connection to these finding and those Miracle Rovers? is this evidence that they have picked up? or is this a small part of a larger operation for scouring every inch of the planet before a landing?

Of course not! This is pure science. That was a little science mixed in with a lot of PR. Which do you think costs the most? Wink1
John L Wrote:Look at this huge picture! And it is not the biggest one, but it is big enough to note all the water on the outer edges of the crater as well.

It seems that there is much more water there than we even dared hope.
And here is another thought. Out further is the Kiper Belt And the ort Cloud even further out, that we are certain contains billions of dirty snowballs there just waiting to be shook lose and allowed to be brought into the inner system for use by us when we are able to go out there and get them. All products of first or second generation stars that changed their hydrogen into other elements and then blew themselves apart.

A great opportunity for development. If there is not enough water on mars for converting into a livable planet, we can simply go out and get more to drop on to the planet for use.

Also, check this one out. Note that the crater in question is not the only one showing water either.

Here is a larger Black and white.

[Image: 209-010705-1343-6-nd-01-CraterIce_H.jpg][/url][/u]

Hey John, enlarge that color picture to the ultimate and pay close attention to the ridges. Look at the "snow" or "ice" it seems that the side that is in the sun has more ice/snow than the shaded side. I looked mainly at the top right ridge. That would seem to indicate that the heat is coming from within the crater to melt whatever as all the shaded parts facing the center have no ice/snow, but the side that is facing the sun does. Interesting.
Solo~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
NO, it doesn't hold up on the left side, but there DOES seem to be MORE of the white stuff in the light most places. Almost as if it was blown in with a wind, not having fell and then melted in the warm parts. ??

And, on the bottom left, there is again more white stuff in the sun than in the shade.

And, that scraping scar on the lower left portion inside the ring is strange. Looks like someone took a garden hoe and pulled up very fine dirt to make a small hill. It's a kick to blow up those little pebbles where the 'ice' has drawn back and look at them close up. They're huge.
Solo~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. --Thomas Jefferson
So you want higher resolution E? Try this one right here.

it is large, so allow a while for it to load. I believe that the light has something to do with the water observed.

Enjoy
John L Wrote:So you want higher resolution E? Try this one right here.

it is large, so allow a while for it to load. I believe that the light has something to do with the water observed.

Enjoy

I'm still downloading. It looks like a picture frame maybe a second or two after the first one. I don't think that's water. I see shadows in it as if it is powered ice/snow/sugar? What I'm looking at are the frills and rills around the edge of the crater. Because if it's water, then there are teeny, tiny waterfalls without enough water around it to create one. There are shadows there. An artist notices things like this. S5 This is definitely a substance laid down on top of the soil. Enlarge it and look at it closely and back off to get perspective and then back in, etc. You can begin to see the rills and this substance held within the rills. And, there is a yellowish substance around the upper right edge of the ice pack, as well as below the "melted" part of the ice, and to the right a bit. Like iron has leeched into whatever is there that is being called ice. Or someone tried to make angels (many!) in the snow with you know what and it's all melted together around the edges. I am enjoying it.
Solo~

Update:

Hints of huge water reservoirs on Mars
Sanders 2020

mv Wrote:Update:

Hints of huge water reservoirs on Mars
Interesting!

I had to use Firefox to get it downloaded. Opera didn't want to do it.
Thanks, mv.
Solo~

I guess the pics are taken by the European Very Large Telescope (VLT) in the Chilean Atacama? Many times more powerful than Hubble, they could make pics from a person on the moon as if the camera were just two feet away. I wonder why they don't solve the riddle whether the Americans were really there, once and for all. Of no scientific importance. Usually they use the thing to make pics from the edges of the universe, thereby going back in time as far as possible.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
mv: the article you posted says that the atmosphere and all the water on Mars somehow "went underground" and so is still there presumably.

The mechanism for this is not stated and I have troubles believing such statements. Can anyone explain?
jt Wrote:mv: the article you posted says that the atmosphere and all the water on Mars somehow "went underground" and so is still there presumably.

The mechanism for this is not stated and I have troubles believing such statements. Can anyone explain?

My guess is that the truth will probably lie between the two extremes.

Quote:Another possibility is suggested by Mars atmosphere expert David Brain at the University of California in Berkeley, US. He points out that magnetic storms might boost the rate at which the solar wind strips molecules from the atmosphere.

"We believe that solar storms were frequent and more intense early on in the solar system's history," he told New Scientist. Even so, Brain thinks that some of Mars's ancient water and CO2 is still stored in hidden reservoirs.

Remember, mars is a planet with extinct volcanos, which seem to indicate that it's period of livliness will have been past. This means that under the crust will be large openings resulting form a cooling of the inner part of the planet, where Huge amounts of water will most assuridly be enscounced.
Nothing to add to what John said.

Meanwhile, another piece:

New Scientist: Life may lie deep below Martian surface
Sanders 2020

mv Wrote:Nothing to add to what John said.

Meanwhile, another piece:

New Scientist: Life may lie deep below Martian surface

I thought precisely the same thing yesterday, when I posted above, but did not say anything. My guess is that there are HUGE reservoirs of liquid water underground and that life will be there in abundance. I also suspect the same thing with Europia. Further, it is possible for life forms to be able to live under much higher levels of radiation as well.

As for mars, what will be needed is a constant bombardment of Kuiper Belt objects or Ort cloud objects, which are both chock full of ice and other matter that would beef up the mars atmosphere over time. Also the posting of a huge solar sail in preceeding or receeding orbit, in which solar light was redirected generall in the direction of mars, would also warm up the atmosphere and surface, making for a change in the planet.

Since the effect of allowing Kuiper objects or Ort comets rain down on Mars would cause great damage to possible colonization, I would suspect that processing plants in orbit would be able to break up the objects into much smaller ones and then, in effect, dropping them into the mars atmosphere, where they will burn up and add to the atmosphere. Creation of a good atmosphere would be much quicker this way than anything else I can think of. But some form of lense, redirecting light on to the surface of mars would make a huge difference.
Quote:Since the effect of allowing Kuiper objects or Ort comets rain down on Mars would cause great damage to possible colonization

I wonder if this is true. The bombardment rate is of course higher than on Earth, but does it rise to the concern level?

(In other words: is the probability of being killed by a meteorite on Mars higher than that of being killed by a passing car on Earth?)
Sanders 2020

Here is some of the latest stuff about water on mars. This is simply amazing, and clearly the result of "you know what".

[Image: article-0-01F3956A00000578-933_468x369_popup.jpg]
John L Wrote:This is simply amazing, and clearly the result of "you know what".

Uh, let me guess. CO2. right? :lol:
As Gary Lloyd said, "When the government’s boot is on your throat, whether it is a left boot or a right boot is of no consequence."
Awesome photos.
When is humanity going to stop messing around in orbit and send people there. Weve been doing space flight for about 50 years, and the only place humans have been is the moon. Space is the final frontier.

Besides, if Mars once had life it might have oil.
Different eyes see different things. Different hearts beat on different strings.
But there are times for you and me when all such things agree.
-Geddy Lee, Rush.