Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BBC edits out the word terrorist
It looks like the Beeb is up to it's old tricks again. The other day they were naming the terrorists "terrorists". But now, it appears that they are reverting again to their PC ways. I wonder if they are aware of the fact that they are losing so much credibility so quickly? I am one of those who used to look at them as being the zenith of the news profession.

Not any longer!
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Ditto, I used to play around on their website alot. Now its the Times Online for me, and the BBC only sometimes.
That's ridiculous. These people are the very definition of terrorism. If one is at war with something I don't think you have to be politically correct about it.
StereoMike Wrote:That's ridiculous. These people are the very definition of terrorism. If one is at war with something I don't think you have to be politically correct about it.

You are right Mike. And I simply cannot understand the thinking over there. A BBC rep was on Fox last night, I believe O'Reilly, and he simply stated that it was their way of being above the frey. Can you imagine that?

I suppose it will take a couple of their reporters getting murdered by the terrorists to change their minds. This is one of the main reasons why the MSM is being held in such disrespect today.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
It is ' political correctness', but I always find it interesting how the Right seemst to think political correctness is the domain of sensitive liberals. The Right can cry and throw fits with the best of them when one of their own sensitivies is offended.

. For instance, the debacle awhile ago where someone suggested changing the word 'evolution' in textbooks to 'changes over time'. Or the indignation whenever its suggested that, gasp, Bush appoints minorities to Cabinet positions to attract minority and moderate white votes. Or any criticism of Christianity. Or even the merest suggestion that American policy in some way contributed to the formation of al-Qaeda.
Anonymous24 Wrote:It is ' political correctness', but I always find it interesting how the Right seemst to think political correctness is the domain of sensitive liberals. The Right can cry and throw fits with the best of them when one of their own sensitivies is offended.

. For instance, the debacle awhile ago where someone suggested changing the word 'evolution' in textbooks to 'changes over time'. Or the indignation whenever its suggested that, gasp, Bush appoints minorities to Cabinet positions to attract minority and moderate white votes. Or any criticism of Christianity. Or even the merest suggestion that American policy in some way contributed to the formation of al-Qaeda.

Good point Anon. Nobody is totally immune. However, I think that you will have to admit that the lion's share DOES go to the Left's obsession with the PC thing.

My favorite PC gaff that Republicans made is the one during the Reagan administration, when they were talking about the need to raise some taxes. Instead of calling them "taxes", they called them "Revenue Enhancers". What a joke!
H. L. Mencken
...an e-mail I received this morning (the bolded paragraph is my doing, as specific to the thread topic):
Quote:As so many of you came to see me last Thurs, for which I am extremely grateful and very touched, I thought you all might like to know what London is actually like at the moment.

Firstly, the Director et al are staying in a hotel about 200 yards from Trafalgar Square, and all is well. The weather is beautiful – about 80-85F in full sunlight, and it’s been like this for the last ten days!

I arrived last Sunday. Commemorations for the end of WWII were held all weekend (a date chosen to be about midway between VE & VJ days). The last official events were held on Sunday, in London, led by the Queen. Church services, parades, open air shows and about 250000 people with 11000 veterans. Queen and other senior figures were all traveling about as normal; no bullet proof glass or anything else. No trouble.

On Monday London went back to work. Yes there was a little worry, but also more awareness and a sense of relief the “not if but when” had happened, tinged with caution that there is a chance of more. The Underground (tube) is fully open except some small sections where they have yet to move the bombed trains. Londoners are well used to having the system shut for days during industrial action and finding alternative means of travel (so why the bombing planners thought they could cripple London by shutting down the tube, heaven only knows), My hotel is around the corner from the bombed bus, which has been removed. Of the 780 injuries, 48 or so are still in hospital, 25 critical.

Londoners have rounded on the media – all attempts to link muslims and bombs has been thrown back in the reporters’ face; politer replies have been aired! Language here is now different from the international media; “London bombings” vice “London terror attacks”, “bombers/ murders / mass murders / criminals“ vice “terrorists”. As the city is far from terrorized, most view calling these people terrorists as wrong, hence the citizens of London calling them bombers or murderers, who happened to be muslims. The UK media have got the message.

On Fri 8 Jul the Mayor of Paris accused London and Britain of cheating to win the Olympics – he needn’t bother making travel plans. The French President had a pop at Britain on Thurs 14 during his country’s Bastille day, the same day that two mins silence and a vigil in Trafalgar Square were held; he needn’t block his diary either, but as he won’t be in power in 2012, no problem!. USAF (as reported here) ban on travel to London caused a bit of a rumpus (up to Secretary of Defence/Foreign Secretary level) but that has all disappeared now. Aside from that, Britain has been bowled over by the global out pouring to the city, the shared two mins silence being particularly emotional. New York ringing the bell London gave to the city after 9/11 was greatly appreciated. Hurricane Dennis received considerable coverage as it came ashore, with much sympathy expressed in the UK for the coastal population hit again.

There is a sense of proportion in London. Thurs last was not on the scale of 9/11 or Madrid. Although the bombings were no doubt part of the AQ campaign, there is no desire in the country to mark the day by calling it 7/7. The Madrid bombings, Bali etc, don’t have such labels. If the mission was to disrupt the Underground, they failed; if to terrorise, total and absolute failure. What they achieved was unifying the entire city and the whole country. Many social issues that have been bumbling along for years have been brought into focus and will probably now be resolved more quickly.

London is pretty much back to normal. Australia beat England in a one day match on Sunday, as way of proof! This is all heading for the “these things happen” box. The tourists are still here; neither the Gen’s hotel nor mine have had any cancellations above normal.

On the positive side; petty crime is at an all time low – increased public vigilance and more police on the streets (and that is going to cost the government dear when this has all subsided). The G8 protestors vapourised form Scotland shortly after the last journalist left. No media, no coverage, therefore no protest!

For us it’s London show time tonight, open air restaurants etc. The only terror is how strong the beer is!

Anyway, if you have a holiday planned in the UK – the exchange rate is getting better for you (worse for me – rats), and you are probably safer now than on 6 Jul.

See you all next week; have a great weekend.
Anon,

I agree with your take on the hypocrisy of both sides,but your side is more dangerous simply because WE are at war and our enemy ARE terrorists of Islam's radical side and to call them anything less is a plus for them,harmful to us/

Our side calls them what they are,war is too important to lose.