Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romney raiding?
Romney explains '92 vote for Tsongas

Quote:ABC News' Jonathan Greenberger Reports: Republican presidential candididate Mitt Romney offered a new explanation today for why he supported a Democrat in 1992.

That year, Romney, then a registered independent, voted for former Sen. Paul Tsongas in the 1992 Democratic presidential primary. He told ABC's George Stephanopoulos, in an interview that will air Sunday on "This Week," that his vote was meant as a tactical maneuver aimed at finding the weakest opponent for incumbent President George H.W. Bush.

"In Massachusetts, if you register as an independent, you can vote in either the Republican or Democratic primary," said Romney, who until he made an unsuccessful run for Senate in 1994 had spent his adult life as a registered independent. "When there was no real contest in the Republican primary, I'd vote in the Democrat primary, vote for the person who I thought would be the weakest opponent for the Republican."

An interesting logic. Back in 1992 I actually saw Tsongas as the most acceptable in the rodentry.....

I wonder if anyone else here "raids"?

I am registered as a Democrat (and always was) since the Republican primaries in NY are never worth attending... :oops:
Sanders 2020

you are correct. Tsongas was perhaps the best candidate to run, as a democrat, for President, since JFK.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
Romney's logic is kinda funny, because I thought Tsongas was the only one acceptable to me that was running on the Democrat ticket.

That's also why I object to those states which allow Independents to vote in other party primaries. I would hope that Romney now regrets his subterfuge.

-S
Romney is a country club republican. You can take away guns, marry gays, assassinate unborn children and take away liberty so long as you don't raise his taxes. :roll:
Stars & Stripes Wrote:Romney's logic is kinda funny, because I thought Tsongas was the only one acceptable to me that was running on the Democrat ticket.

E tu, Brutus?

My (now imperfect) recollection of 1992 is that Tsongas was gone by the time of the NY Primaries and I ended up voting for Jerry Brown as the lesser evil...
Sanders 2020

mv Wrote:
Stars & Stripes Wrote:Romney's logic is kinda funny, because I thought Tsongas was the only one acceptable to me that was running on the Democrat ticket.

E tu, Brutus?

My (now imperfect) recollection of 1992 is that Tsongas was gone by the time of the NY Primaries and I ended up voting for Jerry Brown as the lesser evil...

Isn't it strange.....................Tsongas had already pulled out by the time the primaries had gotten to Tennessee. Since I was so angry with Bush Number One, and there is no particular party party affiliation in Tennessee, I voted for Tsongas, even though he had already withdrawn. I was still so frustrated, I voted for the little handgrenade, with the bad haircut, that year.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Yeap, little handgrenade for me too. And in the next round as well.

It took a Kerry to force me to vote for a Bush....
Sanders 2020

mv Wrote:Yeap, little handgrenade for me too. And in the next round as well.

It took a Kerry to force me to vote for a Bush....

Yeah, we do have a couple of things in common, don't we? S6
I, too, remember wanting to vote for Tsongas, but I don't think he was on the primary ballot in Texas. I'm not sure Texas had presidential primaries a long time ago.
I'm often wrong. But I'm not always wrong!
Fit2BThaied Wrote:I, too, remember wanting to vote for Tsongas, but I don't think he was on the primary ballot in Texas. I'm not sure Texas had presidential primaries a long time ago.

What do you mean? We had them in 92, though you couldn't cross over. You had to be registered as a member of whatever party was having its primary if you wanted to vote in it.
"Most people just want tomorrow to look pretty much like today." - Terry Pratchett
Seabird Wrote:
Fit2BThaied Wrote:I, too, remember wanting to vote for Tsongas, but I don't think he was on the primary ballot in Texas. I'm not sure Texas had presidential primaries a long time ago.

What do you mean? We had them in 92, though you couldn't cross over. You had to be registered as a member of whatever party was having its primary if you wanted to vote in it.

That is what makes the Tennesse system better, in my opinion. It is a General Primary, in which party affiliation is not required. Wink1
Okay, so I forget what the Democratic primaries were in 1992 in Texas. I voted straight Republican in Texas when only Democrats were elected. I switched in 1984 and then only Republicans got elected. Some candidates don't make it to the primaries.
I'm often wrong. But I'm not always wrong!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FBI, IRS raiding UAW president's home Canuknucklehead 0 172 08-28-2019, 04:42 PM
Last Post: Canuknucklehead