Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One million protested in France over jobs bill
President Jacques Chirac signed it into law, and then suspended it so it can be reworked a bit. As I understand it, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin devised this bill which allows businesses to fire young workers under 26 years of age in the first two years of employment with the company without needing to show cause. Sort of like the normal 90 day probationary tryout period that most companies use before committing to a full-time hire, but stretched out to two years.

This is done to improve the poor job market in France. Without explaining the reasons behind it, the national statistics agency said it would create up to 80,000 new jobs at zero cost to the state. The youth unemployment rate is 22 percent in France - up to 50 percent in poor, heavily immigrant neighborhoods.

The only thing I can see it doing is to bolster the employer's bottom line by taking jobs away from workers who have worked for almost two years, just when they are senior enough to start expecting pay raises to compensate for their experience - and then giving these jobs to new hires at the lowest prevailing salary possible. I have no clue how this increases the number of jobs.
Looks like the the Term "Surrender Monkeys" is most appropriate with the Frogs. Sorry Patrick, but it is true!

France to replace youth job law

French President Jacques Chirac has announced that the new youth employment law that sparked weeks of sometimes violent protests will be scrapped.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
John,

Hey,I am no fan of France's modern culture,I'm just telling you,when challenged by a FOREIGN cultural invasion,they have way more nuts than Britain does.

Britain is an adjunct of US foreign policy,I find that cause for disrespect for Britain myself.

We see the world from different paradigms John.

Britain is struggling to decide how to handle her own jihadi groups,France throws them either into Devil's Island or back to their Islamic homes. I say France has it objective,not Britain.
Palladin Wrote:I say France has it objective,not Britain.

In truth, both are weak. The reaction to the Moslem riots in France was very mild: the French waited for the rioters to get tired and somehow I did not notice news about any perps being punished. Likewise, the reaction to the student riots was a retreat.

The retreat, likely, means that the days of the PM are numbered, Chirac is weakened for the rest of his term, and Sarkozi becomes much stronger as the presidential candidate. But his ability to govern after being elected is another matter.

Incidentally, what do you think the victorious students/mobs are doing now?
They continue protests!. Why stop when you have a winning game?
Government is necessary because people left unchecked will do evil.

The government is composed of people left unchecked

The article says that those continuing the protests number only in the hundreds.
It undermines democracy. If the most violent and loudest get there way over the voters then there is no democracy. That applies here at home and in France. Let us learn the lesson of France and not allow a loud few some who are not entitled to any rights or benefits because they are not American to override the will of the voters.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  France Proposes "Controversial" Immigration Bill Marbleheader 1 1,423 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Palladin