Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nigeria (Islamic) School's Out
Nigerian police free 259 people from Islamic institution

The most disturbing is that the people there still believe in this cult. They always come back with the "This is not Islam". What do they need to understand?

On one hand, it's good news that the Nigerian police crack down on this. On the other hand it's terrible that these places exist.
It's not just one or two accidental cases. So far 1500 people have been rescued from imprisonment, sexual abuses (on young boys mainly), starvation and slavery in so called islamic re-education centers.
I'm not sure how to put this, because the base animal instinct, morally speaking, can reside in any human society.  But some are far worse than others in allowing that 'base' instinct to blossom, more so than others.  And of the major religions, somehow Islam has this habit of usually being on the bottom of the pile.

Nigeria is unique in that there are many ethnic groups, where Christianity(south) and Islam(north) are pretty equally divided.  And with that fairly equal division, it is easier to compare the two religions, one with the other.  It would be interesting to compare Nigeria's crime demographics, and obtain a clearer picture as to how one stacks up against the other. 

Naturally, I will side with the South Nigerians, having studied the Igbo, and the Biafran conflict. in college.  They have a very rich cultural history, and are overwhelmingly Protestant Christians. 

Has anyone read Chinua Achebe's masterpiece, "Things Fall Apart"?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
JohnL, so far, I have never seen anything comparable with christian institutions.
(11-07-2019, 05:34 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: JohnL, so far, I have never seen anything comparable with christian institutions.

Please explain better.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Quote:Magdalene Laundries in Ireland

The Magdalene Laundries in Ireland, also known as Magdalene asylums, were institutions usually run by Roman Catholic orders, which operated from the 18th to the late 20th centuries. They were run ostensibly to house "fallen women", an estimated 30,000 of whom were confined in these institutions in Ireland. In 1993, a mass grave containing 155 corpses was uncovered in the convent grounds of one of the laundries.[1] This led to media revelations about the operations of the secretive institutions. A formal state apology was issued in 2013, and a £50 million compensation scheme for survivors was set up by the Irish Government. The religious orders which operated the laundries have rejected activist demands that they financially contribute to this programme

Spend some time online looking and you will find more instances of the Catholic Church being every bit as evil as the above Muslims.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
(11-07-2019, 07:16 PM)Canuknucklehead Wrote: Spend some time online looking and you will find more instances of the Catholic Church being every bit as evil as the above Muslims.

You omitted one word above: "Roman" Catholic Church. There are other Catholic churches out there.
Canuk Yes they did it. With the big difference that it was practically a state institution. Some places like these were used as prisons for women and run by nuns, but not only. Then mistakenly taken as convents. There were not convents, and their role was not religious.
It was horrific, but so was the entire Irish society and governments all this time. Blaming only the Catholic Church is very reductive. People, the state and everybody accepted it and thought it was good morally. I don't believe people didn't know.
There were also Protestant Magdalena Laundries...

So does muslims today in these countries. To this extent, yes, we can make a comparison. But the Nigerian madrashas were illegal and their owners arrested.
What they did in the islamic schools was much worse than in the Irish laundries, how hard it might have been.
Fred, I can also cite examples that took place in Canada.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
CanuckH I think there are examples in many countries. The Irish example is just extreme by its size and duration (until 1996).
But I think there are big differences with the islamic schools in Nigeria. One thing is that in the west, it was public institutions. And it's interesting that it concerned only women, mostly young women. Women were deemed to commit moral crimes more often than men. Thought for men, there had to be something.