Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alien Civilizations: Have we Found One?
I'm a huge Science, as well as a Fiction fan, and have been since the late 50s, as a young teenager in Alaska.  But it wasn't until the 60s that I really got seriously into the genre.  I cut my teeth on the likes of H. Beam Piper, Isaac Asimov, Robert H. Heinlein, Poul Anderson, Brian Aldis(Starship), and all of the Ace book series I could get my hands on.  So I have always been inclined favorably toward the existence of alien civilizations.  

Anyway, I was going through some of the Ted Talks presentations when I happened to come across this presenter, who was discussing a relatively new star that she claimed was "The most mysterious star in the universe".  Her name is Dr. Tabetha Boyajian, who is an astrophysicist at LSU.  She was talking about This Mysterious Star, KIC 8462852, Tabby's Star named after her, and the subject of alien civilizations came up.  She considers this possibility last on her list, but she stated that it was a true possibility.  Here is the presentation:

The most mysterious star in the universe | Tabetha Boyajian

After watching this, I became real interested in learning about KIC 8462852.  First off, I did a search on line, and there is a vast amount of information about this star.  So I started from the top of the list, and have been working myself down the line.  The possibilities are immense, or...............it could be little or nothing.  And too, the star's distance from us is around 1400 light years away, which would make travel quite problematic.  'Course I have to skip the Japanese articles about this.   S5

Here are a couple of good starters is anyone is interested.

The Mysterious Star KIC 8462852

KIC 8462852: ALIEN MEGASTRUCTURE STAR STARTS DIMMING AGAIN—WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Tabby’s Star is Dipping Again!

Alien megastructures around this star were just dust in the interstellar wind
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
[Image: 64634501_1126999264153333_69736823491919...e=5D8D450C]
There's one in every crowd. Hiney
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alien skull found mv 27 11,867 12-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Last Post: jt
  Alien life found on a meteorite (again). Armadillo 5 1,639 03-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Last Post: quadrat