Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russian Cutting Edge Technology...
Quote:A robot hailed in Russia as the latest in cutting-edge technology has been unmasked – as a man in a suit.
The android – known as Boris – had been lauded on the state-owned broadcaster Russia-24 as a technological breakthrough with the ability to walk, talk and dance.
But photos later revealed there had been a person inside all along.

A Russian robot called ‘Boris’ hailed as hi-tech on state TV has been unmasked as a man in a suit
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Yeah, but peal the man apart and there is a robot inside him!

S6
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Read what you post carefully.

Quote:On the website of the company behind the robot, it is described as being able to create “an almost complete illusion that you have a real robot”.

This is totally inconsistent with a claim that this is a real robot!  In other words, US/UK media manufactured yet one more fake story designed for their low intelligence audience; part of the ongoing disinformation campaign.

Garbage, however. S6

Sodomia delenda est

The headline stated 'state TV' not company website.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Hmm...  Seems mv needs to read what was posted more carefully.

It appears that what we have here is, "In other words, Russia media manufactured yet one more fake story designed for their low intelligence audience; part of the ongoing disinformation campaign".

S13
(12-13-2018, 04:56 PM)JohnWho Wrote: Hmm...  Seems mv needs to read what was posted more carefully.

It appears that what we have here is, "In other words, Russia media manufactured yet one more fake story designed for their low intelligence audience; part of the ongoing disinformation campaign".

S13
Only in your mistaken beliefs, sorry S6 

You have not seen the actual story and have no idea what was in it or what was the type of program, you are relying on a US/UK reporting of it.  Not sane.  

Russia-24 has all kind of material, including new and entertainment. This is likely the latter. 

It is not plausible that any more or less serious program would actually output a story like this, simply because while there are many stories all the time about various advances, none of them has to do with robotics -- they are just not doing this, period.
Sodomia delenda est

OK, got it - the only news folks putting out disinformation are outside of Russia 'cause they would never do that.

S6
[video=youtube]Russian Drunk People Crazy Compilation 2018 HD New[/video]
Is this the one you mean?

Russian Drunk People Crazy Compilation 2018 HD New

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
(12-14-2018, 11:24 AM)JohnWho Wrote: OK, got it - the only news folks putting out disinformation are outside of Russia 'cause they would never do that.

S6

Not quite; but kindergarten quality disinformation only works within the West, and only because of low intelligence level of the population, incapable of critical thinking but willing to masturbate in perpetuum  watching crazy driving clips, no matter that they are mostly staged and mostly not in the countries where the events are alleged to have happened. 

Total inability of the population to critically think is one of the main reasons why the West is losing the future.  And I do not see how this can be reversed after generations bred and educated for this particular feature.

Sorry S6

Sodomia delenda est

(12-14-2018, 09:25 PM)mv Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 11:24 AM)JohnWho Wrote: OK, got it - the only news folks putting out disinformation are outside of Russia 'cause they would never do that.

S6

Not quite; but kindergarten quality disinformation only works within the West, and only because of low intelligence level of the population, incapable of critical thinking but willing to masturbate in perpetuum  watching crazy driving clips, no matter that they are mostly staged and mostly not in the countries where the events are alleged to have happened. 

Total inability of the population to critically think is one of the main reasons why the West is losing the future.  And I do not see how this can be reversed after generations bred and educated for this particular feature.

Sorry S6

When was the last time you purchased something in a western country labeled 'Made in Russia" and what was it?
LOL. Great question S6, and I even know the answer: beer, a couple of days ago. And the rationale was simply that I prefer beer to urine. S6

But the relevance is not clear. Some countries fight for the retail business, China leads in this category. And China is big enough to try to do something in every possible direction --- not that this is possible, China still has to import food. Russia is selective, some areas are strong, some are ignored. As long as the trade balance is positive, this is all that matters -- and this year for the first time in many decades -- they have a positive trade balance *without counting their oil/gas exports*.

Same with the research: Robotics is not their area, I would be shocked to see a real article talking about any advance they make in this direction. But in other areas they are making big progress -- energy-related ones, in particular. For instance, yesterdays Ni63 breakthrough is not shocking at all, this is their stuff. And heck, this actually may lead to a consumer product as well.... probably made in China.
(12-14-2018, 09:25 PM)mv Wrote:

S6

Sorry S6

Just curious here, but how low is the intelligence level of your computer students? And aren't you getting close to retirement?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
[quote pid='277964' dateline='1544969157']
Just curious here, but how low is the intelligence level of your computer students?  And aren't you getting close to retirement?
[/quote]

So many sad things in one short sentence ....
Quote:
(12-16-2018, 12:10 PM)mv Wrote: [quote pid='277964' dateline='1544969157']
Just curious here, but how low is the intelligence level of your computer students?  And aren't you getting close to retirement?

So many sad things in one short sentence ....

No idea as to why there are "So many sad things in one short sentence....".  You state that "and only because of low intelligence level of the population".  How do you know that Americans are of a "low intelligence level" and not the result of an "Imperfect Education System"?  There is a difference here.  Are you stating that Americans are of lower cognitive abilities compared to other countries?  This makes no sense, unless you are reiterating the "superior race" scenario.  

I totally agree with you that our current education system is less than adequate.  But that is due to politics, and the 20th century Progressive education system.  Maybe we'll get lucky and things will change for the better.  Fortunately, there are thing happening that allow for change that do not exist in the Russian system.  I guarantee you that no Russian NCO would be able to offer what my NCO father did for me.  Sending me to a private military high school, and then The Citadel, enabled me to intellectually excel.  BTY, the Citadel has for years now been recognized as the premier public college in the South.

You just seem so down and out, bordering on the negativism.  Things will almost certainly get better.  I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about your age.  Hey, I'm an Old Fart, just turned 74 this last Halloween.   Shock
[/quote]
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
Оh, of course it is the product of the "Imperfect Education System"... well, perhaps it would be more fair to say "Society", and most certainly not race. But this does not matter, once a person is molested by it, it is for life.

However, it is definitely still correct that the "Americans are of lower cognitive abilities compared to other countries", and this is not a racial issue at all.

For instance, a student from say, the Dominican republic can be very bright -- if he was born there, and not at all if he was born and taught in the US. Same is noticeable for many other countries, including ex-USSR and even China. A dumb Chinese student? -- impossible 20 years ago. Not a rarity anymore, children of immigrants are quite often like this.

Skipping the part about Russia -- actually, the role reversal between Russia and the US is so complete now that you are no longer correct -- but this is a different topic altogether. Instead, one trailing comment about the Drunk Russian collection:

the first clip -- people on the snow -- reminded me of something. During the military training ... lol ... 40 years ago .. we had an accident. One of the students fall into the snow, either having or simulating a heart attack from overexercising... looked quite similar to those guys, lying on his back, the hat rolled off. Naturally worried officers surrounded him, asking "are you ok?", "what can we do to help?" (I guess nobody wanted a dead student for statistics). And the guy was replying in full compliance with the regulation, using not simple "yes" or "no", but the regulation forms! He also saluted with his hand, while lying on his back -- and the regulations said nothing about saluting while horizontal but were totally adamant that no hand salute is allowed if the head is not covered...

Well, regulations or not, for the next year we were nearly daily reminded that there is a trainee among us with the right attitude. Nobody was brave enough to ask about proper ways of saluting while horizontal.

Today, he is a big shot in the Russian education system....and crazily enough is mentioned in a pretty good sci-fi time travel novel.

Quote:Things will almost certainly get better. I wasn't trying to give you a hard time about your age. Hey, I'm an Old Fart, just turned 74 this last Halloween.

LOL, just please do not remind me. I spent a decade being upset about the round number 60. Now, I'm upset about the round number 70, and if reminded, I may go violent. S6
Whatever floats the boat................ S6
--- SCHiST Happens! ---