Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Can't Watch Soccer. Its UnAmerican
For the very life of me, I simply cannot understand why anyone can have a love affair with such a miserable sport.  Granted its popular around the world, because its a cheap investment.  It requires little funding, because there is little required to pay for it.  After all, clothing, and equipment(ball) are all that is necessary.  With American football, there are loads of expensive equipment, which require extensive investment.  Its a rough game and required safety gear.

Granted soccer is good for keeping people in shape and teaching 'the little skulls full of mush' team togetherness.  But it simply cannot hold a candle to American football.......or hockey,.....or just about anything. S18  

I just watched this Bill Whittle video, and it is So Right-On!  And no matter how much investors may throw at the US soccer sport scene, it will never become a success.  It cannot compete against far more manly sports.  

Yet another SOCCER FAIL Episode

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
As a former player and coach of baseball, football, and soccer, all sports are manly. However, spectators who don't understand a sport can be unmanly.

Believe me, just refereeing youth soccer makes you run, trot, sprint, run backwards, while fully engaged mentally for over eight miles a game. ...and you get paid for it. Secondly, everything I taught in other sports is part of soccer training. All sports have pros and cons. No game is slower than baseball or cricket, yet many people love them. No sport requires more fitness than soccer, yet many claim it is not athletic enough for them. Some look at dives and malingering, but good players in any sport avoid that. Get a score above your opponent in any sport, and your team will slow down the game to run out the clock. In soccer, the ref adds time for that. Most kids that I taught were stars in other sports as well. Two players were ranked 1 and 2 in the state in Tennis. Many were regional stars in baseball. Most all were football stars. They decided where they wanted to play.

One College national championship game went 27 overtime periods. That was 27 fifteen minute periods. Indiana won. Manly?
BTW, Soccer was a national past time in the USA before baseball. The USA was actually one of the favored nations to win the world championship.

One of the sports outfitter owners discovered that you can lie in the newspapers, and people would believe you. He said the newfangled game called baseball was the new national favorite game, and people bought balls and bats and gloves to see why others liked it so much.
Soccer vs Ice Hockey

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
BTW, again, I get upset when any professional shows less knowledge of their game than the kids who look up to them. I was absolutely disgusted when Detroit Tiger pitcher Galarraga ruined his chance at pitching a perfect game by softly catching the ball when covering a throw to first, which beat the runner. Jim Joyce, the umpire ruled him safe, because umpires are taught to look at the bag and listen for when the ball hits the glove. Because Galarraga caught it so quietly, all Joyce heard was the foot hitting the bag. Kids in High School know better.

Kickers in football who allow opponents to get a touchdown from a muffed snap instead of just giving up a safety also make me crazy.

Soccer players who kick PKs over the crossbar, or play offside make me crazy.

These guys get moocho bucks to play a kid's game, and never learned what they are doing.
When it comes to my Favorite Sport, I'll take jumping out of airplanes any day. S22
Have a Gneiss Day!
KFC ad making fun of Neymar rolling -aired before World Cup

Have a Gneiss Day!
I do not agree that soccer is unAmerican. But I still prefer baseball. I admit it was because it was the game I played, the game I was good at. Baseball is the game we all played when we were kids. Kids from the neighborhood would all gather in the one big vacant lot we had nearby, and baseball was what we played. All we needed was a ball, bat, and gloves--and a field that was large enough. Hitting a pitched baseball with a bat is probably the most physically demanding thing in all of sports, the thing that requires the most skill, the quickest brain and reflexes. The most real talent. The very best batters only bat .300 or so, reaching base one third of the time. I batted over .500 in Babe Ruth League (the next step up from Little League), and had a coach (Lowell Austin) who was a former AA pitcher who would throw all kinds of pitches, including his specialty, submarine curve balls, to me in practice, and I could handle them. He could never get a single pitch past me without me at least fouling them off. He actually encouraged me to aim for a professional career in baseball. But I had other priorities in my life. For one I became a Seventh-day Adventist when I was 15, and it simply is not practical to be a career baseball player if you cannot play or practice between sundown Friday and sundown Saturday. It wouldn't be fair to your team, for one thing. But I do sometimes still imagine what kind of a career I might have had. I will always regard baseball fondly. It was my game!

Look at the salaries baseball players make. Look at the money baseball teams take in, so such high salaries can be paid. Other countries besides America play baseball. Even Japan, Cuba, Venezuela. Who besides the British play cricket? Lots of countries play soccer, but how much money does soccer take in, compared to baseball? If you wanted to invest in a sport, which kind of team would you invest your money in--a baseball team, or a soccer team? Or if you want to consider fame--who has the most fame--Babe Ruth, or Pelé? Besides Babe Ruth, there is Al Kaline, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, and a whole host of others. How many truly famous people does Soccer have besides Pelé?

Personally, I always hated the thought of having to run around as much as soccer players do in every game. What was it my brother said--eight miles a game? And that is mostly sprinting! It used to exhaust me when my high school gym class had to run once around a football field. Just jogging!
Eight miles a game was just for me as a referee. Actually playing is a whole nuther level up. I may have played pro eventually in baseball. When I enrolled in Michigan, Bill Freehan had just been named the new coach, and he was a catcher as I was. My problem was that I had intended to go to Annapolis, and UofM was my backup plan B, and I came to Ann Arbor in the Fall rather the Spring term. I was catching 100 mph pitchers in Legion ball, so I had intended to walk on - but was too late.

After school, I still played ball to an extent, but my main talent was in coaching. My boys were talented enough to play where ever they chose, and they played everything. My oldest entered a soccer league when he was seven, and we didn't know how to cheer. I got roped into coaching on all the teams they played on. I remember the expression on one Dad's face when his son ran up to him after a game, and said, "Hey Dad! Did you see me? I played the whole game and this blade of grass never fell off my head!" Another kid got his head caught in the net during the game. Nothing unAmerican there!
BTW, John My High School soccer team used to play pickup games with the Detroit Red Wings players. Almost all the Wings played soccer to stay in shape.

(Our new bridge across the Detroit River to Windsor, Canada, is being called the Gordie Howe Bridge.)
As for staying in shape, that's fine Bill. And if you think watching the grass grow is entertaining, be my guest. Its why I'm also not a golf worshiper.

I'll stick with the exciting things which give me that adrenaline rush. Besides, I've been to the Big Dance, and have experienced the ultimate excitement. The closer I get to the ultimate, the greater the thrill of having gambled and won.

As Winston Churchill once stated,"Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Have a Gneiss Day!
(07-19-2018, 11:35 PM)John L Wrote: ...if you think watching the grass grow is entertaining, be my guest.   Its why I'm also not a golf worshiper.

I understand, John, which is why I said the enjoyment is about ignorance by the spectator - not about the game, itself.

Most soccer players can star in any sport. Few players who are stars in other sports can do as well playing soccer.

This World Cup was lame for me because the USA and Netherlands weren't in it, and many favored teams were upset. Russia beat a favored Spain by playing rope-a-dope and beating them in a tie-breaker shoot-out. Why pros can ever miss a PK is beyond me.
Just a thought... When i coach players, I teach advanced techniques that are usable in all sports. Goalkeepers have great hand-eye coordination, but field players must avoid getting hit in the arm by the ball. I had one goalkeeper who was a star receiver on the High School fottbal team. He went to the week-long football clinic at U of M, and they made a special trophy for him for never dropping a single pass during the entire clinic. Believe it or not, I teach the Ty Cobb running techniques, which are timed to be faster than what most baseball coaches teach their players. International universities all have soccer related subjects, and there have been thousands of graduate theses written on running and kicking. Kinetics is big. Studies that American coaches never seem to know about. Soccer players are always chosen to be placekickers over here, and I cringe when I see them undergo stupid training that gets in the way of their talent. I went with one son to a place kicking camp that was run by one of the greatest soccer-style kickers. My son could hit 70-yard field goals. When he went to high school, the kicking coach wanted him to approach the ball at an angle, rotate the hips, and aim for a spot several degrees off target. After much heartache, my son realized the American-style kicking coach was clueless. He finally realized what he already knew was superior to the American norm. Basically, follow through to the target, and land on your kicking foot. This adds 10 to twenty horsepower, improves accuracy, and adds twenty yards to the kick.

The other thing is not how to run or kick - but tactical movement. The same patterns and movement that basketball and hockey uses is distilled in soccer.

Many people think hitting a baseball with a bat is the hardest skill in sports, but a soccer ball rocketing in with rotation and speed is as hard to hit in the tiny impact target area with the instep or forehead, as with a bat. The bat can send it anywhere in the park, but the soccer ball must score in the net, with a GK in front trying to block it. Both skillful athletics.

I played all these sports, and enjoyed them all. I never played soccer in school, but enjoyed the adult game, and learned many things that would have made me better in the other sports if I had learned them growing up.
This video focuses on one little thing, which is a shame if you want, but also the fun of the show. The referees and the public know when it's fake. We often laugh about it. But sometimes it's not fake, believe me. And sometimes it really hurts them, but they came back to play. You will see all gradiants from totaly fake to really tragic.

It's amazing how many times they pull, hit, push other players... All this cheating is not more accepted here than in the US, but if everybody would play strictly by the rules it will be kind of boring too.
And watching American Football is incredibly boring. Everything is regulated. It's like they play 5 seconds, then they have to stop, spend 5 minutes repositionning everybody and then play for 5 seconds again, sometimes even shorter.
There are so many rules that if you are not american you don't understand anything. S5

One of the great thing watching soccer is to look at faults and see whether the referee will whistle it or not.

All these things shouldn't conceal the fact that the performance of these players is really unbelievable. Anybody who has tried to play this sport knows that.
Naah. No such thing as 5 minutes of setup and 5 seconds of play. Just like in basketball and hockey, players try to attack teams in such a way as to force them into a more vulnerable scheme. When Russia beat Spain, they played rope-a-dope. Spain is one of the most technically advanced and creative teams in the world, but Russia packed all their players in the defense and smothered Spain's attacks. They made it through double overtime, and won the game on PKs. Spain made many great runs trying to make Russia screw up, but they didn't.

Me, I appreciate great offensive teams like the Netherlands playing Brazil - but many great teams didn't get in this year.
I wondered where this Bill Whittle video was hiding,.......because he sums up my thinking completely.  

Let's face it Soccer, or whatever anyone wants to call it, is not, I repeat Not, ever going to be of major popularity in the US.  Naturally there will be a few like Bill, not Bill Whittlel, here and there, who have their reasons for wanting to be part of the world wide herd.  But Americans, and Aussies, to name a few, generally love manly sports such as ice hockey, Rugby, Lacrosse, Australian Rules Football, boxing, and yes,even American Football.  Even baseball and basketball, both American sports, have more going for them than soccer.  

But the one thing that gives soccer a 'leg up' is that of all the sports mentioned above, it is the "Sport of Poverty".  Its cheap and requires only one piece of equipment.  The other sports require a larger investment.  And that is the principle reason why it is a world wide sport as long as the world is filled with poor people.  

But Bill Whittle is better at this than I am, so I'll let him tick off the reasons why I totally agree with him here.  

Bill Whittle's Haters' Guide to World Cup Soccer

Have a Gneiss Day!
Yeah, I saw that before. My eleven year-old grand daughter could destroy him logically and factually. Ignorance is the one thing that should not be the driving force in humor.

I find other things funny. Did you know there was a goalkeeper that took pictures of the Arena behind the goals, and designed a Keeper's uniform that matched the background perfectly, ti make him invisible to opposing shooters. Another great story, is that England was once so great compared to the rest of the world, that they rarely deigned to invite other countries to play them. Brazil was then renowned as being the best passing team in the world, and England invited them to come and play them during the rainy season, because they couldn't imagine such a hoity-toity team keeping up with England in the mud. Brazil came in, and passed the ball ankle to ankle in the air over the mud., and destroyed England. Another great piece of history, is that Brazil got used to Pelé being kidnapped when visiting other countries. It seems he was one of the world's greatest athletes, and everyone wanted to measure his talents. I once read that everyone who knew him said he would be THE greatest player in the world in whatever sport he played in. He would run with the vision and elusiveness of a Barry Sanders. A hitter, fielder, and base runner like Ty Cobb. An ice technician like Wayne Gretzky or Gordy Howe. A higher leaper in basketball than Spud Webb. He would be gone for days at a time and then be returned to the team. The world held him in awe.

In Europe, (proven when I chaperoned some US youth teams over there) each town had its own soccer team, and the club house was the social center of the entire city. There are many sports in Europe, just fewer baseball and pigskin football. Far more bike rotundas, for instance. There are plenty of basketball and hockey, but all take a back seat to Soccer, The fans are used to watching all these sports, and know what they prefer.
(07-25-2018, 11:07 PM)WmLambert Wrote: Yeah, I saw that before. My eleven year-old grand daughter could destroy him logically and factually. Ignorance is the one thing that should not be the driving force in humor.

Spoken from an eleven year-old perspective, you may be right. Girls and young boys have no problem with the sport, I'm sure. However, for men in general, the use of the hands are far more critical to things that men do. For umpteen thousands of years, the use of hands is the means of survival, among men especially. They are the ones who place their lives in danger, and require hands to bring home the bacon, or protect their families.

I wonder what percentage of soldiers/marines, who are in a combat branch, enjoy watching soccer? Growing up within the military I never remember a soccer team on the posts where my dad was stationed. There was no soccer team at The Citadel, and I can remember only one combat vet who enjoyed the sport. He was a foreigner from a Caribbean Island, working for US citizenship.

I think this all has to do with Rugged Individualism, and the Second Amendment, which was an absolute requirement for taming the West within the US. Somehow, its just not associated with manliness over here. Its just impossible to defend one's family by the use of fancy footwork.
Have a Gneiss Day!
JohnL, IMO it's a positive thing that soccer is not watched fanaticaly in the US. Because the world needs differences. What would the US be different if not for football? American football and baseball are the two sports which are typicaly US, in my view and in the view of many europeans.
I remeber a classmate who was a semi-rpofessional soccer player but he was also a big fan of american football for the esthetic and the US image.
Every country has his own culture. It would be too bad everything were nivelled globaly, with soccer as the one sport everywhere.
Even within Europe, soccer is not evenly popular. In Lithuania basketball comes first by a long shot. Second most popular sport in Lithuania is fishing. LOL S5
It's a good game for kids like basketball. It keeps them in shape, serious injuries are exceptionally rare unlike football.

Un American because John doesn't like anything we didn't think of first. That's the only reason he and other hard core righties dislike it.