Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kilauea Barbeque
I'm just wondering if there is anyone closely following what is happening on the Big Island, just below the Kilauea crater.  I've been following this very closely, and using almost all of my spare time studying things and even going back to past eruptions that have totally destroyed two entire subdivisions several years before this event.  

If anyone's interested in commenting and contributing to the discussion I will gladly post as much information on what I have gathered since I started following this series of events on the eight of this month.  There's a lot of great stuff here.  

Anyway, here's today's USGS map of the East Rift Zone, where all of the recent activity has been taking place.  And note the older lava flow fields and their dates of discharge.   1955 and 1960 were good vintage years for Lady Pele, but out of the map and going back all the way to Kilauea, there are many other runs that caused a great deal of damage.  

[Image: image-436.jpg]

This round began on the 3rd of May, and was really nothing but a bunch of cracks running diagonally across Leilani Estates.  They quickly began smoking and some became active, with lava spurting out.   For a while it looked like an ever growing river of lava would be taking off in a northeastward direction, and destroying more homes.  At that time were were fifteen officially active fissures, and all within the Leilani subdivision.  

But by the 13th, new ones, 16 and 17 had sprung up in open land outside the subdivision and just north of another smaller subdivision across the main road.   And that's when things really started getting more than just a little interesting.

[Image: image-421.jpg]

Now that area is up to twenty-two fissures and things are starting to go crazy as of today.  In fact, two of the lava streams have crossed highway 137 and started emptying into the ocean.  And more and more lava is coming out at a very fast clip.  This thing could get out of control very soon if Pele keeps this up.  

Here's yesterday's thermal map of what is happening, and a couple of the flows are looking like real rivers.

[Image: image-435.jpg]

Lanipuna Gardens, the smaller subdivision is really getting reamed.  Fortunately most of the rivers are running through a forest reserve before plowing over Hy 137 and into the ocean.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
Here's the link to Google Maps and the affected East Rift area of the Big Island.  But keep in mind that this Google map is at least four years out of date.  I discovered this while trying to use the map in conjunction with some of the recent events.  They don't exactly match, but the Google map really does keep things in perspective.  

https://www.google.com/maps/@19.4744992,...a=!3m1!1e3

While you are at it, use the map and zoom in on where hwys 130 and 137 meet together.  That's Kalapana, and it was almost completely wiped out a few years ago.  In fact Kapapana Estates was completely destroyed.  Every house burned out.  But if you look at this map, you can see where hearty souls have been moving back into the lava fields, where their legal property is located.  Remember now, this Google map is over four years old, and Kapapana owners have grown in numbers, within that subdivision since Google set this out.

That is one of the two subdivisions obliterated some years ago.  But the folks on the Big Island, and especially on this rift section, have more than their share of people who don't give up all that easily.  Frankly I admire these people, who are willing to take on the Angry G-d and dare her to do it again.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
Here's what was going on last night, on the 22nd.  The main action was just on the other side of Lanipuma Estates, running parallel to Hinalo St., and at least a kilometer beyond the end of that road, moving to the right of Leilani Gargens.  The Puna Geothermal Venture site is just on the other side of the exploding fissures.   Adding up all this and all of the lava rivers running to the ocean, the entire area is a living hell that is hard to explain.  

The link right below will take you to the location of all this on Google Maps.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/MacKen...154.865191

Alert: Hawaii Volcano Lava Flows Into Power Plant & Sparking Fears Of Deadly Gas Release

And this is almost certainly far from the end.   Aww

Here is today's official USGS map, showing everything up to this morning.  Note that Leilani Estates, while still having numerous active fissures, is much less active.  Almost everything is to the immediate right of that subdivision, just above the smaller Lanipuna subdivision and between the PGV energy plant.  Lanipuna is almost completely wiped out as the lava rivers flow down the long slope to the sea.

[Image: image-442.jpg]
Have a Gneiss Day!
Why would any responsible government allow anyone to build housing developments so near to an active volcano?
Ron, if it is land that is privately owned, then the state has no business telling the owners they cannot live there.  But everyone knows that they are playing Russian Roulette, like so many things in life.  Hey, when you cross the street, or drive your car, you are taking chances, right?  

What is so remarkable is that the overwhelming majority of people living in the East Rift Zone, have that 'pioneering spirit', and they have made up their minds that they will be back.  

I keep my FNC on pertty much all day, and like other outlets and news sites, there really isn't much going on in the reporting of what is really going on on the Big Island.  So I'm following all this very closely, because its like reading a great action novel.  I spend most of my spare time going to eight or nine Hawaiian news sites and keeping up to date on it all.  

I came across this report on Hawaii News Now, which gives a recap of everything that has happened so far.  It can help bring anyone up to date on what has been happening there.  On the video, all the news reporters involved describe what they were doing since the beginning.  Its well worth checking out.

It's been 3 weeks since the eruptions started. Here's what's happened so far

Pele's path: Eyewitness to history. Event's in Hawaii 5/18

Have a Gneiss Day!
I wonder if anyone in Leilani Estates has homeowners insurance that will cover volcanic eruptions. If so, then who would be daft enough to invest in those insurance companies?

Since early childhood, my worst nightmares always involved erupting volcanoes reaching out toward me, growing in size and its lava pursuing me. (It may have begun after I read about that volcano in South America that started out as a small, smoking hole in a farmer's cropland, that he first thought was a cigarette that he couldn't stamp out, then grew up to several thousand feet, consuming his entire farm along with the surrounding countryside.) You would never get me to live there, no matter how much you paid me. And people actually paid to live in Leilani Estates? All those people deserve honorable mention at least in the Darwin Awards!

And how long will it be before Nanawale Estates gets hit again?

If ever any place were too dangerous for human habitation, and should be closed to development by order of the government, the southeast part of the Big Island should be it. But of course, government wants tax money, and the more residences, the more taxes can be assessed.
(05-25-2018, 04:57 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: I wonder if anyone in Leilani Estates has homeowners insurance that will cover volcanic eruptions. If so, then who would be daft enough to invest in those insurance companies?

There are a lot of them who have insurance, but some didn't.  If you get homeowners insurance with a 'volcanic/lava' clause, the cost automatically goes way up.  I'm sure the insurance companies are big enough to spread any losses across the board.  

(05-25-2018, 04:57 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Since early childhood, my worst nightmares always involved erupting volcanoes reaching out toward me, growing in size and its lava pursuing me. (It may have begun after I read about that volcano in South America that started out as a small, smoking hole in a farmer's cropland, that he first thought was a cigarette that he couldn't stamp out, then grew up to several thousand feet, consuming his entire farm along with the surrounding countryside.) You would never get me to live there, no matter how much you paid me. And people actually paid to live in Leilani Estates? All those people deserve honorable mention at least in the Darwin Awards!

One of the things I have been doing during my spare time is bury my nose into any information on the Big Island's volcanic recent history.  You wouldn't believe what all I have been able to access and save to files.  I even found 19th century and early 20th century maps of Hawaii, and Hawai'i(the big island)  NOTE: the wording of Hawaii is important, and almost nobody knows this, including many in Hawaii's news services and TV.  If you want to mention the big island in writing, those who are literate will put an 'apostrophe' between the two "I"s.  So I have been studying Hawai'i, and not Hawaii these last several weeks.

Your fear of volcanoes and lava are somewhat misplaced.  Before this I would have somewhat agreed with you.  But now that I know about the different types of lava and different types of volcanoes, I know better.  From the start I went and began finding out about the different volcanoes out there, later finding out that all of the volcanoes in the Hawaiian Islands are "Dome" volcanoes.  

When I went and looked it all up, I discovered that no one seems to agree on how many there are.  Some state five, some state four, but everyone agrees that there are three basic types.   I think the three cover all the bases.  There is 1) the Dome type: 2) the Composite; and 3) the Shield volcano.

The most basic type are the Dome Volcanoes, because they tend to have very thick magma that doesn't travel well, so it sticks around and makes a dome.  Also, there are many volcanoes that are composite, erupt and then when they exhaust themselves, they build a new dome inside the caldera.  Mt. St. Helens is a classic example.

[Image: LavaDome.jpg]
Photo credit: USGS. 1984 USGS picture of the growing Mount St. Helens Lava dome. This lava dome started developing shortly after the iconic May, 18th 1980 eruption and dome growth continued until 1986.

-------

The Composite not only blows its top, but also uses venting on the sides.  This is very common, and they are found all over the world.  That volcano you keep imagining is a Composite type, that contains less thin magma.  And composites also tend to blow out "Pyroclastic Flows", which are not magma/lava.  They are made up of steam, ash/dust, and rocky material.  They are not as hot, but they travel very fast and are only about 750 F(400 C).  That's what you, and myself, are afraid of, and definitely worth worrying about.  

[Image: composite-volcano.jpg]

-------

The Shield Volcano, which makes up the Hawaii volcanoes, have different magma, and tend to run out further than the others.  But they tend not to explode, or throw out pyroclastic flows: just lava.  Because of this, shield volcanoes are not steep and high, but rather more flat and extremely wide.  That's because the lava is able to go much further before cooling down and solidifying.

This is Mauna Kea with all the huge telescopes on the top.  See how she stretches out so far.  Mauna Loa is just as wide.  This shot was probably taken from Mt. Hualali, just to the north of Mauna Loa.

[Image: 482-cone-scories-standard-Mauna-Kea-15.jpg]

Of the types of volcanoes, I would be more comfortable with the shield type.   I like excitement in my life, and is why I used to jump out of planes and ride big, fast motorcycles.   I'm an adrenaline junkie, so I could take living under the thumb of Madam Pele.  It would be a challenge.  Spiteful

(05-25-2018, 04:57 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: And how long will it be before Nanawale Estates gets hit again?

Nanawale Estates has never been hit before.  The last eruption that went that way was the 1840 flow, which was more than 175 years ago.  I'm not sure how long Nanawale Est. has been around, but probably somewhere in the 1960s.  I will eventually be looking that information up as well.  

Here's the May 15 map from USGS on the area, which clearly shows the 1840 flow and how it set up the foundation for Nanawale Estates over one hundred years later.  Incidentally, if you move Google Maps over to the subdivision, and zoom in, you can see that vegetation starts returning almost immediately.  Its amazing how quickly ferns, palms, bushes, and you-name-it, come back quickly.

[Image: image-426.jpg]

Oh, here is an article from the Polynesian(Honolulu, Hawaii); 29 Aug 1840, Sat  • Page 1.  It gives a detailed description of what happened at the time the eruption occurred.  

(05-25-2018, 04:57 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: If ever any place were too dangerous for human habitation, and should be closed to development by order of the government, the southeast part of the Big Island should be it. But of course, government wants tax money, and the more residences, the more taxes can be assessed.

If the state, or the feds attempted to do that, the din raised would be unbearable.  Here are some facts that negate this necessity.  Almost no loss of life occurs with these eruptions.  They rarely explode, and the basalt magma moves down and out at a slow rate.  People have plenty of time to get out of the way.  Also, the overwhelming majority of residents have such things as auto accidents, or heart attacks, which are far more likely to cause them harm.  To the residents this is just one more small threat to add to their every day life.  

Also, the residents almost all work together and help each other out, like we used to do over a hundred years ago.   In the few years before 1990, Kalapana Estates was completely destroyed by a major series of flows from the "Puʻu ʻŌʻō"(pronounced Poo Uoo Oh Oh) vent, and almost immediately, after things cooled down, residents began returning to the subdivision, following a resurvey of the land.  Its simply amazing what they are able to live with.  Go to the link above and you can see what used to be the subdivision and the return of residents, back on to the lava flow.
Have a Gneiss Day!
Remember, this Google Map is not up to date.  Until yesterday, I thought it to be at least four-five years out of date.  But by trying to compare a six year old article's map with the Google one, I couldn't find a building where it was supposed to be.  So, Google Maps is at the very least six years out of date(probably more), and I know that the number of returned residents are more than the Google map shows.  These people are hearty souls and willing to take anything Madam Pele can throw at them.

Here's an almost complete tract map from someone selling a lot.  This should give you an idea of what it looked like on paper.  I've seen video scenes and images, and the subdivision was like some island paradise.  I'll try to get some videos about the place.

[Image: 23-9.jpg]

And here's a 2012 video that shows some of the earlier returnees to the land, who are settling back in for the long run. This is why you really have to admire these folks. They're not afraid of much, that's for sure. S22

Living on the Lava, Big Island, Hawaii

Have a Gneiss Day!
Incidentally, here's a convenient place to keep up with what's currently going on over there.  I've got plenty of links, but just discovered this one about a half hour ago.  If you keep the link, you can go there and find out the latest news.  

Buzzfeed News devoted to the volcanic activity on Hawai'i's East Rift Zone

Oh, if you scroll down to the bottom, you can go to the very beginning of this emergency and work your way up.   S22
Have a Gneiss Day!
US Marines to the rescue,.....just in case things start heading South.  Spiteful

Marines bring Super Stallions to Puna in case of mass evacuations

Wow!, just look at all that "A'a" lava piled up in the video.  Basalt lava has its own characteristics and flow patterns:  Remember there are two of the three kinds of basalt lava that are present in Hawaii: pahoehoe (pronounced 'paw-hoey-hoey") and a'a (pronounced "ah-ah").   Pillow lava is the kind that erupts from the ocean bed, under water.  

[Image: AaA&Pahoehoe.jpg]

In the picture above, the pahoehoe is on the top, and is smooth. And the rubble type on the bottom is A'A

Three general types are recognized:

-Basaltic magma -- SiO2 45-55 wt%, high in Fe, Mg, Ca, low in K, Na.
-Andesitic magma -- SiO2 55-65 wt%, intermediate. in Fe, Mg, Ca, Na, K.
-Rhyolitic magma -- SiO2 65-75%, low in Fe, Mg, Ca, high in K, Na.
Have a Gneiss Day!
Here's a great example of this community's coming together in order to help others.  

Community Collects Donations to Aid Puna Families Affected by Volcano

[Image: KKCC-Photo-1-1024x1024.jpg]

It should also be noted that when Kalapana Gardens was being overrun by Madam Pele, house moving companies donated their equipment and time in order to move any homes that were able to be moved. Obviously the Hawai'i community will go all out to help those in most need.

My guess is that this will also make it to the other islands too, and the donations may well come pouring in. Let's hope so. S22
Have a Gneiss Day!
Lord, I've been so engrossed with going back and closely studying Hawai'i(Big Island), with all of its many eruptions and lava destruction, that I have almost forgotten what has been going in Real Time over there.  

In the last couple of days there has been a change in the lava flows.  Instead of going whole hog through the LaniPuna subdivision, and totally destroying it, as it rushed down to the Pacific, new vents are opening up back in Lailani Estates and pouring out lava in a more north eastward direction.  This is on the  other side of the ridgeline.  Here's today's USGS map of the area, showing that Fissures 6 and 8, along with some others, are going full throttle.

[Image: image-449.jpg]

And note that this new lava, in darker red, is threatening to overrun the PGV(Puna Geothermal Venture) plant, which uses heat to generate electricity, and adds to the island's electricity capability.  It also will most likely be taking the that blue line, which is the path of steepest descent, to the Pacific to the north.  If so, it may well bypass Nanawale Estates.

But strangely enough, PGV is coming under more scrutiny by the conspiracy crowd, and today one of them posted the following about how PGV is probably guilty of causing this latest eruption, by their illegal fraking.   I need to check this guy out, because he appears to be a big name UFOlogist, and a Ph.D of something or other.   Go to his site and read the article, and check out the first video, showing all of the quakes, and all that before May 7th.  But if you view the thing to the end, there appears a huge "Star" right over where the Kapoho Crater is located.   I wonder if he is also a follower of Alex Jones, over at InfoWars?

Here's the video where he makes the claim.  Also, note the articles directly above the video, within the "Further Reading".  

Evidence Grows that Hawaii Volcanic Eruption Caused by Puna Geothermal Venture

Have a Gneiss Day!
Here's a video from today's US Military News site.  After the announcements during the first half of the video, they show some really great video of the lava flows.  Definitely worth watching.

Alert: Fast-moving Hawaii Lava Prompts Evacuations, Covers Well On Geothermal Plant Property

--------

Here are some of the really good sites that cover this eruption very well, and can keep everyone up to date.

USGS Site, Kilauea Section - This will take you to its Multimedia Section, where you can see the photos, videos, and maps.  This is one of the first places I go each day, especially for the daily maps, which come out in late afternoon.  Remember, Hawai'i is six hours behind us, so late in the afternoon is really in the morning for them.

Big Island News - They have a lot of videos, at least several every day.  Another great source.

Big Island Now - Also a good source.

US Military News - This is another great place to keep in the know.  Lots of military units/folks on the Islands.

BuzzFeedNews.com

Kilauea eruption news Youtube

KHON2 News - they come out with at least one video each day.

Hawaii News Now

Hawaii Tribune Herald News

I have accumulated others, but this should keep anyone busy in order to keep up with things on a daily basis.
Have a Gneiss Day!
Fissure 8 is where the volcanic activity is concentrating.

Hawaii Eruption: USGS Talks Recent Volcanic Events (May 29, 2018)

And the lava has crossed the main highway, cutting communities off from the rest of the island.

Lava flow prompts new evacuation order, portion of Highway 132 shut down

[Image: image-451.jpg]
Have a Gneiss Day!
Things are starting to get Real Serious.  The new Leilani Estates runoff is headed for a rematch with the Kapoho area, just like 1960's flow.  Shock

Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - Wednesday Night (May 30, 2018)

If this keeps up, we may have a bigger event than the Kalapana and neighborhood wipeout.
Have a Gneiss Day!
The interesting thing is that today there are again two maps, one in the early morning and the other early afternoon.  The early one seems to point to three of four possible directions being more northward, and pretty much out of reach with the Kapoho area.  

[Image: image-456.jpg]

And in the later version, there are now two possible paths leading to Kapoho, and the other two going in a more northward direction.

[Image: image-457.jpg]

Naturally, this is not new to Kapoho.  1960 was a bumper year for volcanism in Kapoho, but luckily they managed to retain the majority of their development, in spite of the downtown being buried in lava.  Below is part of the business portion that was eventually covered over with new lava.

Click To Enlarge

Here is a older video of the actual event using old footage.  If you look at the progression of the flow, you can see where the town buildings were engulfed and buried.  Also, note how much land was created along the shoreline once this eruption was over.

Oh, here's an another, longer video, which is an older program of the event.

CSAV Hawaii: 1960 Eruption of Kapoho

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Have a Gneiss Day!
Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - Friday Noon (June 1, 2018)

[Image: 2018-06-01-lava.jpg]
Have a Gneiss Day!
Fissure 8 in Leilani Estates is just ripping a new one on the Big Island.

[Image: sub-buzz-16714-1527726100-1.jpg?downsize...ality=auto]

[Image: image-462.jpg]

The entire Kapaho Beach resort area is in Madam Pele's sights, including many high priced orchid farms. This is one of the most beautiful portions of the island, with its huge tide pools and lagoon. The 1960 flow bypassed the resort and moved to the north of the area, but not this time around. S11

Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - Saturday Night (June 2, 2018)

Have a Gneiss Day!
The video above is from Saturday evening, after 6PM, showing just how far things have gone, and how little left before destroying perhaps the most exotic residence on the Big Island, Kapoho resort, including Kapoho Kapoho Point, Champagne Ponds, VacationLands, and the adjacent Kapaho Tidepools.  The area is loaded with beautiful tidepools that attract huge numbers of visitors all the time.  No telling what will be left tomorrow if the lava front doesn't peter out.

Here's what things look like at 10:45AM Sunday morning.  And things really haven't advanced all that much in the last sixteen hours.  

Hawaii Volcano Eruption Update - June 3, 2018 | News Today

Perhaps it has spread out so much it will finally peter out.  We will know tomorrow, for sure.  Here's a shot of things this afternoon.

[Image: multimediaFile-2166.png]

And here is a page showing the earthquakes today, June 3rd.  Also note, the group of quakes at bottom center right of the map on that page.  That one, and another one next to it are from the new sea-mounts, one of which is the new underwater volcano, Lōʻihi.  It must be really rocking and rolling right now, as it piles up magma/lava, headed to the ocean surface.
Have a Gneiss Day!
Except for one small portion of the Kapoho vacation resort area, everything else is gone, covered by lava.  And that includes the entire Kapoho bay as well.   Even Vacationland, which is in front of the huge Kapaho Tidepools is gone.  The tide pools are next. S11

Kapoho Bay, playground for Big Islanders and many others, is lost to lava

[Image: 16917518_G.jpg?auto=webp&disable=upscale...0605190104]

Here is Google Maps of the exact area.  Almost all of the real money on the Big Island is without residence.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/19.48174...a=!3m1!1e3
Have a Gneiss Day!