Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL - RIP
Is the NFL an endangered species?  Are they now one of the Walking Dead?  Many seem to think so.  

I read this article today from PJMedia by MICHAEL WALSH, and it really got me thinking about this.  I used to be a regular watcher of both the NFL and AFL, when there were two separate leagues.  I was a huge Packers fan and Vince Lombardi follower.  And my all time favorite football program was Monday Night Football, hosted by a Straight Man, a Kook, and a Clown, who made the perfect three-way host connection.  

But somewhere after Monday Night Football lost Howard Cosell, and Dandy Don, the NFL just slowly slipped away from me.  It wasn't overnight, but by the time I moved to where I live today(1998), I no longer watched a single game.  In fact I tried real hard a little while ago, but am sure that I never watched a single professional, or college, game here.  I've just given it up slowly and willingly.  Football no longer peaks my interest.  

So it was no real surprise to me to watch all of the craziness going on on the football field, especially all the players refusing to stand for the national anthem.  After all, society itself was slowly self-destructing, or so it has seemed.  So today's Michael Walsh article, "Farewell to the National Football League", didn't grab me until I had finished the articles at PJMedia that I had picked out initially.  The title seemed a bit misleading, but I read it anyway.  

And you know what?  I said farewell to it a long time ago, and think all the politics and Progressive kookishness that has influenced the game is causing countless fans to abandon it as well.  And yes, I do believe it is on the verge of assuming "Walking Dead" status, because its lost its way over the decades, and is now reaping what it has sown over time.

What do you all think?  Am I a bit too harsh?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hillary Clinton Is Like Herpes, "She Wont Go Away" - Anna Paulina
Continued from previous post.

Quote:Players like Kaepernick and Hernandez give the league a bad name, so it's hardly surprising that the NFL's ratings are down again this season. Explanations and excuses offered include the weather (hurricanes!), low quality of play and shortening attention spans -- although who actually watches an NFL broadcast intently between trips to the fridge and visits to the john?
-------
But if you ask this former fan, the rot runs deeper. Football, which is practically the state religion in Texas and across the South, used to be closely tied up with patriotism and love of country. The militaristic component of the sport, which was presented as akin to war, appealed especially to red-state dwellers. But sportscasters and sportswriters are overwhelmingly leftist in their outlook, and their eagerness to turn Kaepernick into a civil-rights icon has repelled a sizable section of football's core audience -- and one that, by the current evidence is growing.

Naturally, the NFL commissioner played right into Trump's hands:

Quote:NFL commissioner Roger Goodell fired back at President Trump on Saturday for encouraging league owners to remove players who take a knee during the national anthem, saying Trump’s “divisive comments” show “an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL.”

“The NFL and our players are at our best when we help create a sense of unity in our country and our culture,” Goodell said in a statement. “There is no better example than the amazing response from our clubs and players to the terrible natural disasters we've experienced over the last month.”

“Divisive comments like these demonstrate an unfortunate lack of respect for the NFL, our great game and all of our players, and a failure to understand the overwhelming force for good our clubs and players represent in our communities.”

The NFL chief's comments came the morning after Trump told a crowd at a rally for Alabama Senate candidate Luther Strange ® that NFL players will stop kneeling if fans left games. "When people like yourselves turn on television and you see those people taking the knee when they are playing our great national anthem – the only thing you could do better is if you see it, even if it's one player, leave the stadium," Trump said. "I guarantee things will stop."

The divisiveness didn't start with Trump, however, it started with the NFL itself, which appears to emulating Hollywood in its attempt to drive away half of its potential audience. But in the NFL's case, it's even worse, considering that Real Americans are their audience. Unless the league radically reforms, it's headed for the last roundup.

DON MEREDITH - Turn out the lights... the party's over - YouTube4.flv

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Newt Gingrich predicted on FNC that if present trends continue, with the NFL leaders continuing to kowtow to the extreme Left, eventually they will come to the point of deciding not to play the national anthem at all at the start of games. Other sports may follow suit.

If ticket sales continue to dwindle, and TV viewership continues to drop, the NFL may reach the point where it cannot afford to pay the hefty salaries currently being paid to athletes. Teams could start going bankrupt. Too bad all this had to happen now--this was beginning to look like the year when the Detroit Lions might finally have a really good team!

Of course, the evidence of widespread brain damage among football players could doom the league anyway. Perhaps Kaepernick should be tested for brain damage.
The Lions-Falcons game Sunday had a truly unique ending. "Golden" Tate caught a pass and held on to it while opposing players tried to stop him, and he went down near the goal line and slid across it. The line judge signaled a touchdown. Lions fans were ecstatic--it meant the Lions had come from behind and won the game. But the play had to be reviewed, and it was determined from replays that Tate's knee had touched the ground while in contact with an opposing player before the football had reached the plane of the goal line. So the touchdown call was reversed. Now here is where it gets really awful--there were eight seconds left on the clock, but the rules state that after a review, ten seconds must be run off the clock. That meant the game was over, the Lions could not get off another play, and they lost, 30-26. Probably everyone knows the Lions deserved to win the game. Hopefully, the two teams will get to play again against each other in the Playoffs.

By the way, during the playing of the National Anthem, the Lions stood with arms linked. But the guy who sang the National Anthem went down on one knee with a first raised up as he sang the last note.
RIP seems like a bit of an exaggeration.  

But they ARE on track to hemorrhage money big time.  Both at the team level and on the individual player level.  

Viewership is down ... way down. Note the CNN 'cheerleading' with regards to arguments like "But the league could still stage a ratings comeback like it did last year when the election ended and the playoffs approached".  Um ... the playoffs are a ways out ... and there isn't another Clinton - Trump slugfest scheduled this year.

A 10% drop in revenue is simply not the same thing as death, but I would figure it's gotta sting a bit ... ya think they'll notice?
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Megan Fox at PJMedia's Hot Mike says this

The NFL controversy appears to be imploding, and it doesn't look like it's going to go in the NFL's favor. However you slice it, most Americans don't want to see acts of disrespect to our veterans despite the fact they have the "right" to do it (although this is debatable in a workplace environment). One thing that seems to get lost is how our Gold Star Families are feeling about this. You may not mean offense to the families of the fallen, but we are feeling it in spite of your intentions. I haven't seen my family this raw since shortly after our loved one was taken from us violently in Afghanistan. Perhaps some common decency is required. Maybe you could wear armbands for your cause but stand for our anthem and flag which represent us all. My family is a Gold Star Family and the NFL is picking at a wound we wish it wouldn't. We have asked nothing of our countrymen and instead gave everything. You can read more about that here:

Also, do not miss police officer Brandon Tatum's epic rant on this.

Now I Have Had Enough - Brandon Tatum Destroys the NFL

Ben Shapiro, who is not a diehard Trump fan perhaps stated this best.

Quote:This week, this simmering tension broke out into the open when President Trump sounded off on the topic. Trump didn’t just condemn the national-anthem protests. He suggested that the NFL should adopt rules barring sideline protests by players during the anthem and called on owners to fire any “son of a bitch” who “disrespects our flag.” This is more or less unprecedented stuff for a president: It’s the purview of private business to determine what sort of behavior they wish to accept from their employees in terms of political protest. The president’s intervening smacks of governmental overreach. Imagine the conservative response, for example, if President Obama had suggested that Tim Tebow be fired for kneeling in prayer before games.

But putting aside the principle, this was obviously smart politics for Trump: Kaepernick’s national anthem protest is wildly unpopular by polls. And Trump figured, correctly, that the Left would rush to the defense of those protesting the anthem. The Left, convinced its own base would cheer such a defense, immediately engaged in the stupidest of all possible tactics: encouraging everyone to kneel for the anthem. This, of course, led to precisely the war Trump wanted: Everyone against him is also against the flag and the anthem; everyone for the flag and the anthem is also for him.
Shapiro was spot-on. Too many Left-leaning media and celebrities jump into the frying pan without even thinking about it.

Most on the Right shy away from exploiting it when they burn their toes, because those with the flaming feet are so loud. One thing about Trump is that he doesn't suffer fools.
Well, here's something else to consider. Jazz Shaw, over at Hot Air thinks he knows whats behind The Left’s (Brilliant) Scam Behind The NFL Anthem Protests.

I'll let you go there and read what he has to say, because it'd be too long to quote. It is an interesting idea, and makes sense. But remember, Intelligence and Wisdom are not the same thing. S5
But it's not a scam centered on NFL Anthem protests. It is a very cagey and tactical attack aimed at more than just the NFL.

You must remember that Colin Kaepernick started this exercise in egoism by saying explicitly that "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color..." This, of course was triggered by Black Lives Matters, and the Democrat screed that Trump is a racist who should be impeached. Never mind that all the claims over Ferguson and bad cops have been refuted - it is a political attack - not a moral one.

When coaches and useful idiots who are afraid of the PC version of things speak about taking a knee, they specifically say it is not about race or politics - when in fact - that is all it is about. The democrat talking heads say this is not about Ferguson but historical injustices done under the flag. In reality, if they wanted to protest such things they would honor the flag because it represents what they say they favor. If someone thwarts the things the flag stands for, why besmirch the flag: the emblem that best defines what they say they want?
Here's how the NFL should be handling this situation.

Football coach in Crosby kicks 2 players off team after anthem protest.  

[Image: crosbyplayersuse_1506815771962_11270358_...et=534-401]

The fact that the boy's mother and aunt don't approve of the actions actually speaks volumes about how the two kids were raised.  But the coach did the right thing, and the message is crystal clear.
Kaepernick has expressed his desire to play in the NFL ...  While I'm utterly shocked that a guy that is sitting on his hands instead of making million$ has expressed his 'desire' to ... go back to making million$, I'd be well beyond shocked if this guy ever plays again.  He has since "walked back" any notion that he would actually stand for the National Anthem if he managed to get back to a steady paycheck.  He's committed the NFL's greatest ultimate cardinal sin.  The league wants it to be over and forgotten.  Putting him back on the field means continuing their losses indefinitely.  Fat chance.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(10-08-2017, 05:58 PM)mr_yak Wrote: Kaepernick has expressed his desire to play in the NFL ...  While I'm utterly shocked that a guy that is sitting on his hands instead of making million$ has expressed his 'desire' to ... go back to making million$, I'd be well beyond shocked if this guy ever plays again.  He has since "walked back" any notion that he would actually stand for the National Anthem if he managed to get back to a steady paycheck.  He's committed the NFL's greatest ultimate cardinal sin.  The league wants it to be over and forgotten.  Putting him back on the field means continuing their losses indefinitely.  Fat chance.

Did you see where Mike Pence left the Colts - 49ers game today because some of the 49ers knelt down?

Vice President Mike Pence leaves Colts-49ers game after players kneel during anthem

These players have their heads so far up their asses, its a wonder they can see where to run. They're destroying their business. I don't bother watching them anyway, but Mike has sworn off the NFL for the rest of this year. I'll bet there are millions who are doing this. Somebody's going to pay for this, and the last one at the bottom of the flow chart is going to be the players, with the fans at the top.

[Image: 6a01a3fcfcfe27970b01a3fd002753970b-800wi]
Not sure it's that linear ... other than the fans being the well spring from which the money flows.  Everybody's going to take a haircut.  The networks and league are already feeling it in real time revenue.  The players probably aren't feeling the pain right now as they are under contract.  But those contracts are finite.  The hemorrhaging that Kaepernick initiated began last year.  There are $Billions$ at stake that result in an average player salary over $2 million.  Expect those contacts to shrink up a bit next year.  It's not outright RIP but I would figure the enterprise is going to be worth maybe 10-12% less next year. Coupled with last year, Kaepernick's meme is probably going to end up costing over half a $billion$.  That's what would make his return to the game so astounding.  Hard to imagine either owners or players warming up to a guy that's made them one tenth poorer ... regardless of their political or social leanings.
-- Henry Mencken
[Image: 78Dg235.jpg]
And once again, the winner is...................?

Good call Nigel.  S22

Well, Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!  Well no, actually I'm not.

NFL not seeking mandate for players to stand during anthem

Quote:The NFL said on Friday it has no plans to mandate players stand for the U.S. national anthem, but will rather present a possible solution on how to end the controversial protests when it meets with team owners next week.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, along with the head of the NFL Players Association, will meet with the owners from Oct. 17-18 in New York where the issue of player protests during the U.S. national anthem is expected to command much attention.

“(Goodell) has a plan that he is going to present to owners about how to use our platform to both raise awareness and make progress on issues of social justice[/i] and equality in this country,” NFL spokesman Joe Lockhart said on a conference call.

In other words, we are going to promote Progressive ideals into a game that is tratitionally enjoyed by the overwhelming majority of conservative fans who support the sport.  

That is a sure recipe for failure, and they are about to join hands with the player's association in order to make this happen.  Bye-Bye NFL.  Spiteful

The NFL is Anti American?

I think Roger Goodell is going to find that trying to appease both sides, by seeking a compromise, is not going to work. All it does is clearly demonstrate his lack of moral courage and leadership.

Veterans, Military Family Members Set Fire to NFL Gear in Response to National Anthem Protests
(10-14-2017, 12:44 PM)John L Wrote: I think Roger Goodell is going to find that trying to appease both sides, by seeking a compromise, is not going to work.  All it does is clearly demonstrate his lack of moral courage and leadership.

Veterans, Military Family Members Set Fire to NFL Gear in Response to National Anthem Protests

... as well as his lack of commitment to follow the league's own operational standards ...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/09/25/does-n...nal-anthem

“The league’s Game Operations Department uses the manual to govern the conduct of home clubs, to ensure they protect players and provide the conditions for a fair and fan-friendly contest,” reads the NFL’s website. “Clubs face warnings and other penalties for noncompliance.”
[/url]
The NFL rulebook makes no mention of the national anthem. But the game operations manual does.
Here’s what the game operations manual says regarding the national anthem, according to an NFL spokesperson:
Quote:"The National [url=http://fortune.com/fortune500/anthem/]Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem. During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses."
-- Henry Mencken