Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Hurricane Lee Seek Revenge On The Northeast?
After all the hoopla and stupidity over the statues of General Lee, and other Confederate figures, there is one thing that may raise some eyebrows this fall. We are in the middle of hurricane season, and the latest tropical storm is Harvey. But this year is a bit different. We are four letters away from the letter "L", which will almost certainly become a tropical storm before the season is finished. And that "L" stands for "Lee".

The question is whether or not Tropical Storm Lee will develop into an official hurricane, and turn up the Eastern Seaboard. If so, it could conceivable make a left turn and churn up the very area where the wackos and kooks have been causing all this trouble. Now, wouldn't that be something?

2017 Atlantic hurricane season: Storm Names
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
(08-23-2017, 09:22 PM)John L Wrote: After all the hoopla and stupidity over the statues of General Lee, and other Confederate figures, there is one thing that may raise some eyebrows this fall.  We are in the middle of hurricane season, and the latest tropical storm is Harvey.   But this year is a bit different.  We are four letters away from the letter "L", which will almost certainly become a tropical storm before the season is finished.  And that "L" stands for "Lee".  

The question is whether or not Tropical Storm Lee will develop into an official hurricane, and turn up the Eastern Seaboard.  If so, it could conceivable make a left turn and churn up the very area where the wackos and kooks have been causing all this trouble.  Now, wouldn't that be something?

2017 Atlantic hurricane season: Storm Names

What are the odds that the National Weather Service is as crazy ass PC stupid as ESPN and Reuters?
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(08-23-2017, 09:51 PM)mr_yak Wrote: What are the odds that the National Weather Service is as crazy ass PC stupid as ESPN and Reuters?

I had meant to post earlier about all that craziness up there, but just got lazy.  But today someone made me aware of the fact that there was a "Lee" in the tropical-storm/hurricane season names, and it really got me thinking about "What If......."  I know the poor odds of Lee turning into a Category four, or higher hurricane, and then moving up the east coast, when it suddenly swerves eastward, and into YankeeLand, causing untold damage.  Can you just imagine that?  And can you imagine what the Whores would do as a result?  

Almost nobody in the country is aware that there is a "Lee" in the hurricane index,..............so far.  But that could change.

Can you just image "Robert E. Lee Takes Revenge!!"  What a story.  Shock
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
The 'so called' experts have been saying that a warmer planet will bring on more hurricanes. But I contend that it is just the opposite, that as the planet cools, the number and intensity will increase. If I am right, this season will be worse than last year which was far worse than the 2015 season.

This Year's Hurricane Season Is Looking Worse Than Usual, Five Major Storms On Their Way | TIME

Have a Gneiss Day!
Wouldn't decreasing temperatures provide less energy to power hurricanes? They are powered by the thermal energy in the sea water they pass over. I would expect there to be less hurricanes in a cooling global climate.
(08-23-2017, 11:13 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Wouldn't decreasing temperatures provide less energy to power hurricanes? They are powered by the thermal energy in the sea water they pass over. I would expect there to be less hurricanes in a cooling global climate.

You would normally think so.  Warm climate generates a more positive condition as heat moves northward/southward on the three atmospheric cells.

[Image: main-qimg-686ceaae468d2326031efe340fe0ef26-c]

The warmer temperatures tend to flow more smoothly.  But when the climate changes temperature variance, the cooling process for some reason tends to be more violent and disrupts the way these three cells have trouble moving northward.  Apparently the Hadley Cell slows down and doesn't move as much warm air northward, so it sticks around the equator where these tropical storms originate.  The science is still very young, and nobody really knows the details, but my guess is that as the planet cools down, we are going to learn a great deal about the life cycles of these tropical storms.

Remember, last winter was colder than the preceding two years before it.  And last winter had a Class V, a Class IV, and two Class III hurricanes.  The 2015 season was warmer and less troublesome.  And the 2014 season was even less.

Already, this years is being forecast as being more active: Brace for a truly terrible hurricane season
Have a Gneiss Day!
Maybe if "Lee" is a forbidden name, now, the list may be appended. Perhaps "Lenin" or "Lizzie Bordan"?

I'm pretty sure all the trophies one of my teams won in tournaments across the country will have to be turned in, because the team was the "Travelers" and that was Robert E. Lee's horse's name. We tried to use Dudley Doright's horse's name, but no one could find it.
I found it for you.

Quote:He [Dudley Do Right] usually succeeds only by pure luck or through the actions of his horse, named "Horse". A running gag throughout the series is Nell's great affection for Horse and her disregard for Dudley.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dudley_Do-Right

Perhaps it was just as well your team went with "Traveler."

When I looked up a list of famous horse names, I found some your team might have liked from The Lord of the Rings.

Arod--Legolas' horse
Shadowfax--Gandalf the White's horse
Roheryn--Aragorn's horse
....And of course:
Bill--the horse owned for a while by the Hobbits S1
(I suppose the league might have frowned on using your own name for the name of your team.)

Here's a link for some others: http://www.horses-names.com/famous-horses.php
...aside, sorry for the thread derailment. The horse had a name. This is one of the great trivia questions that no one has the answer for. On one episode, there was a wacky intro where all the characters were introduces as real actor playing the roles. In this one show all the characters were not only named, but a fictitious actor was also named. Dudley's horde was named and so was the "actor'. However, this was on the reel of an episode that was destroyed due to a lawsuit. (Durward Kirby's family sued because the "Kurward Derby" was considered an attack on Kirby, because when you put the hat on your head, you had no talent. IOW, you acted like Bullwinkle.) To my knowledge, none of the animators remember the name they gave the horse. Another great animation trivia question is what flower inspired Tinkerbell's gown?

Now back to the hurricanes.

Lee might not be used - but they might change it to Leigh.  ...Oh wait, didn't she play the slave owner in Gone With the Wind?
I wonder if someone will demand that the movie Gone With the Wind be banned. That would cause a real uprising in the South. Mom told us that when that movie opened, schools throughout the South closed so that students could go see it. The movie does preserve a lot of racial stereotypes.

But it received 10 Academy Awards, and:
Quote:The film is regarded as one of the greatest films of all time; it has placed in the top ten of the American Film Institute's list of top 100 American films since the list's inception in 1998, and in 1989, the United States Library of Congress selected it for preservation in the National Film Registry.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gone_with_the_Wind_(film)

Surely there must be someone who is offended by this. Should they be catered to? Or is it about time we told the Left to shut up?
Bill, looks like you were prophetic:

Quote:Traveler, USC's mascot, comes under scrutiny for having a name similar to Robert E. Lee's horse
Link: http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-usc-...story.html
And in a prelude to the Lee Event, Megan Fox, over at PJMedia, is going nuts over a rescuer in Houston at the scene of Harvey.  S13

Click to Enlarge

Have a Gneiss Day!
Here's a satellite weather picture showing yesterday and this morning.  Tropical Storm Irma is clearly visible way out in the Atlantic.  But note that there is another weather pattern forming directly behind it, to the south east.  This could be the next "J" name.  If so, then there will be only two away from Lee.  Let's keep our fingers crossed,  Spiteful

[Image: isaehatl.gif]
Have a Gneiss Day!
I'm not liking Irma's movement toward Florida.

I may be heading north as it gets closer.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(09-04-2017, 10:14 AM)JohnWho Wrote: I'm not liking Irma's movement toward Florida.  

I may be heading north as it gets closer.

Yeah, its definitely headed that way. And it could be a Cat 4 when it arrives. Shock
Have a Gneiss Day!
Ok, the next one up will be Lee.  Let's keep our fingers crossed and see what it becomes.  Spiteful

[Image: two_atl_2d0.png]

Katia will probably never become a hurricane, but Jose almost certainly will. Its going to be one busy hurricane season, and then some. Shock
Have a Gneiss Day!
We have family evacuating from Miami now, headed to Alabama. Most of the Spaghetti models for Irma show it staying offshore, but it's so broad it covers far inland.

Here. [Image: al112017.png]
Irma is said to be a much bigger hurricane even than Andrew was. It currently has sustained winds of 180 mph, with gusts up to 200 mph. It is hoped that it will lose some strength as it sweeps over the islands of the Antilles. But it still could be category 3 or 4 when it hits the U.S. mainland. And it is a very big storm, capable of causing catastrophic damage over a very wide area.
If you note, there is only one that shows it going into Florida. The rest go into South Carolina or North Carolina. My mother lives in Columbia, and I warned her to keep her eye out on all this. She's in a rest home, where she will be far better off than by herself. And two of the models show it going into North Carolina. That's where I live, in the Raleigh area.

This should be interesting, to say the least. But there is more to come with Jose and perhaps Lee. Spiteful
Have a Gneiss Day!
Hilton Head got hit fairly hard last year. They were still cleaning up damage when I got there on the 1st of March, I hope they don't get hit this year as well.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones.