Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Small Doses of Marijuana can Cause Permanent Damage to Adolescents
Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...renia.html
Teenagers who smoke cannabis damage their brains for LIFE and may be more likely to develop schizophrenia
  • U.S. study found that mice exposed to even small doses of marijuana for 20 days suffered lasting brain damage into adulthood
  • Results highlight how teenagers who regularly smoke weed may have a greater risk of developing schizophrenia
By Ellie Zolfagharifard

Published: 07:24 EDT, 25 July 2013 | Updated: 08:41 EDT, 25 July 2013

Teenagers who regularly smoke cannabis suffer long lasting brain damage and are in much greater danger of developing schizophrenia.

American researchers say the drug is particularly dangerous for a group of people who have a genetic susceptibility to the mental health disorder - and it could be the trigger for it.

Asaf Keller, of the University of Maryland School of Medicine, said the results highlight the dangers of teenagers smoking cannabis during their formative years.

The study, published in the journal Neuropsychopharmacology, exposed young mice to the active ingredient in marijuana for 20 days.

It found that their brain activity was impaired, with the damage continuing into adulthood.

The past 20 years has seen major controversy about the long-term effects of marijuana, with experts divided over its long-term effects on teenagers.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous research has shown that children who started using marijuana before the age of 16 are at greater risk of permanent brain damage, and have a significantly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders.

‘Adolescence is the critical period during which marijuana use can be damaging,’ said the study's lead author, Sylvina Mullins Raver, a PhD candidate at the University of Maryland School of Medicine.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2377581/Teenagers-smoke-cannabis-damage-brains-LIFE-likely-develop-schizophrenia.html#ixzz4qWGt3SuB
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
This has been around for right at four years now, and I believe it was posted by someone back then.  While the mice study gives cause for alarm, there is this part that is not potentially quite as disastrous.

Quote:Teenagers who regularly smoke cannabis suffer long lasting brain damage and are in much greater danger of developing schizophrenia.

Previous research has shown that children who started using marijuana before the age of 16 are at greater risk of permanent brain damage, and have a significantly higher incidence of psychiatric disorders.

This is why there needs to be very strict enforcement rules about this and coincide with the allowable age of alcohol usage.  Both have dangerous potential for underdeveloped adolescent brains.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
Incidentally, your title is a bit misleading, because "small doses" really only pertain to mice in the study.  "Regular doses" pertain to humans.  Go back and reread the article, ok?  S5
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
How do you define regularly smoke? You seem to want to believe that a little moderate use of weed will never hurt anyone. But it has been tested definitively on mice, and a little moderate use has been demonstrated to cause long-lasting harm. What basis do you have for claiming this does not apply to humans? Does this go against the gospel believed and preached by those who favor marijuana use? That gospel has for part of its basic articles of faith the idea that alcohol and tobacco are more harmful than marijuana. Are you even able to entertain objectively the possibility that this is not so, that Marijuana is actually worse, and is bad even in moderate amounts?

Some people like the effects that marijuana has on them, and are very resentful of anyone who says it is bad. But this is just like the history of cocaine use--which at first seemed to make people feel very good, so much so that the medical profession touted it as beneficial, and was the basis for many supposed healing elixirs. Until a large number of people began showing clear signs of addiction, and many of them began dying. The first attempts at banning cocaine use were met with hostility and contempt. But finally the truth was so strongly documented, it could not be denied any more, and some of the more strongly rebellious types died off, taking them out of the debate. Must this happen with marijuana too? I will tell you plainly, I have been persuaded by the evidence that any amount of marijuana is bad. Even medical use must be weighed against the proven risks of harmful effects. There is enough stupidity and bad judgment afflicting human society already, without making it worse through chemically-induced schizophrenia. How many of those mobs who start out as protesters and degenerate into violence do you suppose have been affected by marijuana use? How many cop-killers, and people who openly publicly advocate killing cops, do you suppose are motivated at least in part by their love of marijuana, and by hostility against anyone who would deny it to them?
Ron, I tried pot about three times, way back in 1973, after I got out of the army. And even then I had to be egged on by a friend. However, it does have proven value, especially where opioids are concerned.

As for regular use, at least once a week, or more.

And it should be regulated like alcohol, with severe penalties for selling, or giving to minors.

Hey, you cannot halt it Ron. The best you can do is regulate it. And its a double edged sword.
Here's what I mean Ron.

‘Too many pills on the market’: Here’s what led to the current opioid crisis

With adults, pot is proving to be more effective and not lead to drug dependency.
Most addictions are mental rather than physical. Alcohol and tobacco are prime examples. And yet some people have said that tobacco addiction is harder to kick than cocaine addiction, even though the latter is mostly a physical addiction, and you can die from withdrawal symptoms.