Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trump needs to go full Obama
I'm not particularly thrilled that Scaramucci is in his current post at the White House for a number of reasons.  But if he manages to bring jihad against the internal bomb throwers, I think this may have at least a partially positive outcome.  

Compare and contrast to the last Administration.  The Obama administration had absolutely no problem going after leakers and throwing them in jail.  There are two key aspects to this.  The first is unleashing the Justice Department to identify the offenders (Sessions, with his recusal on the Russian investigation ought to have some time on his hands and should be in a position to pursue this).  The second requirement is to defend the blood letting when it starts.  Given Scaramucci's comments, he's apparently teeing up for that particular role.  Could be just another nothing burger, but if we start seeing some high level firings and federal indictments for disgorging information and (in particular) classified materials, overall, that's probably going to result in an vast improvement.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(A) How do you find them ? (B)Sessions has begun a renewed war on pot, he may not have all the freebie time you think. ©Sessions just announced his new "this is Nazi Germany relating to private property" rules so there's more of his time taken up.
Palladin Wrote:(A) How do you find them ? (B)Sessions has begun a renewed war on pot, he may not have all the freebie time you think. ©Sessions just announced his new "this is Nazi Germany relating to private property" rules so there's more of his time taken up.

A.  There are a fairly limited group of people who have access to the leaked information.  It's not exactly a needle in a haystack ... more like a few poorly concealed turds under a light layer of straw.
A1.  The NSA has a database of virtually ALL communications from everyone to everyone else.
A2.  It's likely that the FBI routinely does surveillance on government employees that have access sensitive material.  
A3.  It's become common place to work backward from the publisher of sensitive and/or embarrassing material to identify the source.  This is what happened to James Rosen.  The Obama administration obliterated any previous constraints and set new precedents for what CNN fearfully calls, "The Trump Era".  They can go after you, your parents, your friends, your partners ... don't need no steenkin warrants ... that sort of thinking is just soooo 2007 ... in short, the constitutional right to privacy no longer exists ... journalists included ... which makes it possible to figure out just about anything after the fact. 
A4. Even if the right to privacy still existed hypothetically, it certainly doesn't exist in the workplace. And when that workplace is the White House or government facility it probably counts even less than a stitch.

The people doing the leaking probably have a very high opinion of their own intelligence.  But they are most likely on the same IQ level as Reality Winner.  The short answer to your question Palladin, is you find them by prioritizing finding them.

B.  Sessions is totally on board with that priority.

Again, this is a two part process.  The first is to identify the leakers.  Most likely this has already been done.  "Enough is enough" became clear a couple of months ago.  The Manchester leak was extremely damaging and embarassing.  Ultimately it cost us untold damage with European intel in terms of cooperation.  The person that did this, like Ms. Winner, is probably not the sharpest knife in the drawer.  

Step 2 is to 'sell' prosecution of the guilty parties.  When Obama did this, there wasn't much reaction.  When Trump does it it will be condemned the most hateful, vile and vindictive act ever in Presidential history ... regardless how much damage the leaks caused the country.  When the Russia story runs out of gas, expect this to be the new outrage du jour.  Scaramucci's job will be to sell it and call B.S. on the criticism ... with the end game of making the critics look like idiot a**holes ... most likely he will go about it in street fighting, low down, dirty ways.  His job will be to completely crush the credibility of the media.  I realize that has to elicit a chuckle from most people ... as they mostly do a great job of that on their own.  But I would expect that we will be seeing that go a step further.  He's a very slick sleazy character.  The style change will go beyond merely rebutting the opposition.  This guy is probably going to purposefully wreck some people's careers and lives.  I don't think the GOP establishment has much stomach for what is going to be a very nasty and dirty fight ... but they probably aren't going to be running the show much longer.

Again, I don't particularly care for Scaramucci or the fact that he's working in the White House.  He's made a lot of left wing statements including calls for gun control (which he's apparently retracted after taking his new job).  But the guy has a lot of connections.  He's also shown a knack for getting recalcitrant reporters and editors fired.  Trump has apparently decided that it's no longer enough to simply push back on the media ... he means to make them pay a price and do them damage ... and he's hired an un-squeamish guy for that task.  Maybe not the right guy ... but the intent is pretty clear.

Of all the potential missions for a White House Communication's Director (Healthcare, Taxes, Getting cabinet positions confirmed, "The Russia Story", etc.. ) priority one is announced as stopping the leaks. He's even indicated that he'll be thinning staff to achieve that end. I would be very surprised if the entire White House staff isn't polygraphed. It seems like a pretty significant priority and I don't think it will stop with simply firing people. Phase Two will involve putting people in jail ... and I expect we'll be seeing that more sooner than later.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
(07-23-2017, 04:58 PM)Palladin Wrote: (A) How do you find them ? (B)Sessions has begun a renewed war on pot, he may not have all the freebie time you think. ©Sessions just announced his new "this is Nazi Germany relating to private property" rules so there's more of his time taken up.

Could you be kind enough to show us all, including myself, where Sessions has this war on pot.  I've watched him on the news, but never heard him expressly target pot.  

Incidentally, there is really little the Feds can do about marijuana use on a local basis.  Granted they have interstate jurisdiction, i.e. trafficking of any drug across state lines.   Legalization is a state's issue and the feds have no real control over it if exercised in states that have legalized it.  

There is one other thing.  Marijuana does not induce violence as some have claimed.  And if he tried to use that, he will have a very hard time having his way on it.  If there is any drug that induces violence it is alcohol within a sizable percentage of the population.  If violence is an issue, I would love to see the Feds try to instill another rendition of the 17th Amendment.  S13

Furthermore, its a losing battle.  Just hold users responsible for their actions.  

Incidentally, that is one of the four main tenants of classic 19th century Liberalism: Responsible Individualism.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
Here's another great way to reduce leakers.  Unfortunately, Tillerson isn't going about this aggressively enough.  It's one thing to leak, it's another to publish work product that completely undermines Administration Policy.  By one account, at the present rate of 'rat obstruction, it will take 11 years to confirm deputy and assistant roles that should have put the kabash on chicanery like this.  Realistically, if there is no management for departments that publish barbs like this, there should be no staff either.  Stop leaks, reduce the budget ... get out the broom!!  Scaramucci indicates his immediate focus is the White House itself and that other agencies will be harder to plug.  But the State Department should be considered equally low hanging fruit and if he's successful in the White House, he should immediately work with Tillerson to drain that particular section of "the swamp" ASAP.  When Trump took office, they called the routine termination of appointees a "blood bath" ... but it was in no way bloody enough.
-- Henry Mencken

It's one thing for Rand Paul and Jason Chaffetz to talk about putting people in handcuffs ... it's another to actually start doing it.  There will be much wailing and rending of garments ... talk of unprecedented abuse of power, etc ... (None of the talking heads will recall that Trump's predecessor was the world champion of prison time for leakers.)  There will be rants of tyranny, etc..  Again, I believe that Trump's recent staff change is designed to confront this aggressively.  So far, the Trump DOJ has one prosecution pending of a monumentally careless young woman.  We've heard nary a peep about the folks that released Trump's conversations with foreign leaders or the details that the U.K. shared about the Manchester attack ... but I think it's coming and I expect to hear howling like scalded cats about it.

Even the NYT foresaw this ... and gave credit where credit was due.  I never ever imagined I would be rooting for Trump to emulate Obama ... but here it is ... and there it goes.

.... edit ...

I dug this out from late May and haven't seen much more ... Interesting that it suggests that Sean Spicer was vulnerable in the same article. It strike me that it's not all that hard to carry out terminations of staff for what is alleged. I'm thinking that there were factions that were arguing over the optics of actually prosecuting the identified (holdover) staff. I would expect that people like Spicer were probably concerned over the optics of what might be perceived as slash and burn (take 'em away in cuffs) tactics. Given that Scaramucci's opening comments out of the gate are about the importance of stopping the leaks, I'm thinking that perhaps the slash and burn faction may have won ... and that maybe the offenders will be facing something far more unpleasant than a mere pink slip ... leaking classified material is a crime ... treating it as such may be considered 'mean' ... but if the goal is to eliminate leaks, it's probably going to be more effective than a simple sh*t canning.
-- Henry Mencken
Trump cannot emulate Obama. When Obama wanted to push some agenda item, he didn't need to find an outlet that would present his words and thoughts. He could appear at the local street corner, and the fawning Press would publish his every word verbatim - and then elucidate on it to make it sound better than it was. Trump can hold formal Press meetings, and his ideas will only be paraphrased pejoratively.

Trump cannot lie about Executive Orders or proposed legislation and have it reported without insult and disrespect.

Trying to get rid of non-appointed staff is also difficult. Thanks to the long run of Democrats pushing union contractual agreements, it is hard to dismiss for cause, when the Deep State offers alibis and a stacked litigation process. It is hard to find cause for leaking, when the leaker talks secretly to a Leftist Press who won't obey any rules. You need a smoking gun to fire some of these leakers, and getting access to that gun breaks those same rules.
(07-24-2017, 01:07 PM)WmLambert Wrote: You need a smoking gun to fire some of these leakers, and getting access to that gun breaks those same rules.

Read the NYT article.  When it comes to investigating and prosecuting the release of national security information, there are simply no rules left.  Obama burned the rule book the same way Reid burned the filibuster book.  Leakers are going to jail.  The press may have fawned over Obama, but he certainly didn't reciprocate.   He prosecuted and jailed an unprecedented number of their sources, he bugged their phones ... intercepted their emails ... put them under surveillance ... all under the cloak of national security ... there were lots of legal challenges and loads of precedence for this sort of thing ... all that is now on the books as 'legal'.  It's ALL been litigated ... there's virtually nothing left to challenge.  I'm thinking that Trump is finally going to start down this road and he certainly needs to ... hell, he needed to months ago.  But it (like anything else he does) not going to go over well publicly.  So for what ever reason he's chosen Scaramucci as point man.  I think things are going to get dirty.  Trump is not going to get fairness or respect from the media ... so I think he's going to try bludgeoning them.  No one from the Trump Administration has managed to get anyone reprimanded let alone fired for printing lies and b*llshit.  Scaramucci managed that somehow ... and I doubt that it involved calling Jeff Zucker to ask nicely. Team Trump has threatened untold legal action and there have been no consequences.  But CNN talks trash about this guy and he gets three people fired and rates an apology.  Think about that for a moment.  It could be unusually good luck or showmanship ... but then again, it could be that this guy knows how to employ the correct means to achieve his ends.  I don't know what the story is, but it could be that Spicer was one of those last few remaining people that believe in genteel civility and honor.  Unfortunately, that's not working out.  The only way to deal with a hostile media and an even hostiler deep state is the dirty, slimy, sleazy, underhanded street fighting tricks way way ... and I'm hope they hired the right guy for the job ... and I hope he eats their lunch.  Trump hired a banker who is a lawyer for this task ... and it just doesn't get much more evil than that.
-- Henry Mencken
Hey Jack, which one do you want to keep? I'm assuming the later, but I'd rather you decide for yourself. Spiteful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
second ... still trying to figure out how I did that ... S4
-- Henry Mencken
... also change "disgusting" to eeeeviiiillll ... somehow e*v*i*l maps to "disgusting"
-- Henry Mencken
... also thinking of changing the word Scaramucci to Satan ... what do ya think?
-- Henry Mencken
(07-24-2017, 11:16 PM)mr_yak Wrote: second ... still trying to figure out how I did that ... S4

You must be leading a bad life.  S13

(07-24-2017, 11:17 PM)mr_yak Wrote: ... also change "disgusting" to eeeeviiiillll  ... somehow e*v*i*l maps to "disgusting"

Yeah, that word was being thrown around and misused so badly a few months ago that I had to find a way to shut down its overuse.  I purposefully set it up to come out with "disgusting".    Now normal folks, such as you, are being penalized for other's bad habits.  Sorry.  Aww

Now that some folks aren't throwing it around left and right, I may just remove it from the 'altered' listing.  

(07-24-2017, 11:19 PM)mr_yak Wrote: ... also thinking of changing the word Scaramucci  to Satan ... what do ya think?

Not sure about that.  I'm still trying to get used to all the butchering of the name by all sorts of pundits and ignorant citizens.  The name is Italian, and there is really only one correct pronunciation for it.  Its like the French classic name "Scaramouche".  The only real difference is that in the French, the "e" is silent.  But in Italian the "i" is not.  Consequently we are supposed to get this.  That's how his real name is supposed to be pronounced.  

My Italian friend Liliana is probably having fits every time she is watching the news and hears his name being butchered so badly.   In fact, I need to give her a call and tell her I'm thinking about her.  Oh, and in Italian, that's pronounced "Lilli-anna"  G-d her voice is so sexy.  S22

She's the only person I allow to call me Johnny, because it is so sexy. In Italian it is "Gianni", and just listening to her say it is like manna from heaven. S13
John,

Here on marijuana and this mindless red neck Sessions. Read the second one close, it is the best "the drug war is truly insanity" writing I have seen.

After all these years we have this result:

"The president wants to return to a bygone era of mass incarceration and a full-blown War on Drugs that significantly contributed to the current American prison population of 2.2 million people — the largest in the world. Apparently, that isn’t enough for the "law and order" president and his accomplice, Attorney General Jeff Sessions.

Trump and Sessions think the War on Drugs has been a very good thing. They are either woefully or willfully ignorant of the facts.

As author of The Power of the Dog and The Cartel, I spent almost 20 years researching and writing about the War on Drugs. After five decades of this war, drugs are cheaper, more plentiful and more potent than ever (as Mr. Sessions himself has conceded). If that’s Trump’s idea of success, I’d hate to see his version of failure."

Get this, "as Mr Sessions conceded", yet the mindless robot wants even more of the war.

http://observer.com/2017/06/jeff-session...marijuana/

http://time.com/4825099/don-winslow-trump-drug-policy/

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/new...r-on-weed/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...4881c7c29b
(07-24-2017, 11:39 PM)John L Wrote:
(07-24-2017, 11:19 PM)mr_yak Wrote: ... also thinking of changing the word Scaramucci  to Satan ... what do ya think?

Not sure about that.  I'm still trying to get used to all the butchering of the name by all sorts of pundits and ignorant citizens.  The name is Italian, and there is really only one correct pronunciation for it.  Its like the French classic name "Scaramouche".  The only real difference is that in the French, the "e" is silent.  But in Italian the "i" is not.  Consequently we are supposed to get this.  That's how his real name is supposed to be pronounced.  

Not really butchered ... just abbreviated to 'Mooch' ... as in Mooch the Merciless.

... and Mooch is on the hunt ...
Quote:"The comms department reports to me. I report to the president. It has to stop, and I've told them that. If it doesn't stop, I'll fire all of you."

He's threatening to reduce the size of his department down to two people ... himself and Huckabee to plug the leaks.  If only we could turn this guy loose on other government agencies.  Not sure I trust the guy, but he's started firing federal employees ... so what's not ta love?   S24
-- Henry Mencken
The problem is that the people he must rehire to fill his staff are as sketchy as the ones leaving. The Deep State is totally enmeshed in Washington and in the communications industry. It is hard to find someone who is not in bed with the Left.

The same goes with Justice and Intel, I read where the percentage of Leftists there are in the upper 90%, and all wearing camouflage.
(07-26-2017, 09:14 AM)WmLambert Wrote: The problem is that the people he must rehire to fill his staff are as sketchy as the ones leaving. The Deep State is totally enmeshed in Washington and in the communications industry. It is hard to find someone who is not in bed with the Left.

The same goes with Justice and Intel, I read where the percentage of Leftists there are in the upper 90%, and all wearing camouflage.

It doesn't have to be just the left.  There are probably a lot of never Trumpers out there who are vindictive over the fact that their preferred hand is no longer on the controls.  They are likely just as destructive as the 'rat hold overs ... probably more so as they can blend in more effectively.  I'm hoping that this doesn't end in just firings.  There are people that need to go to jail.  So far there has been a lot of squeamishness over this.  They probably don't want to look like the Spanish Inquisition ... but if they don't start they are going to be finished with any chance of governing very soon.  It's hard to blame ... the press isn't going to just look the other way like they did for the last Administration.   Session's is reportedly getting on board with the program.  We'll have to see won't we?

It's not impossible to vet the right people ... and it's not all that difficult to fire the wrong ones either ... it just takes some effort.
-- Henry Mencken
I agree, and the more leakers who serve prison time, the better. It looks as if Sessions is now turning into Columbo and targeting them.
(07-26-2017, 09:14 PM)WmLambert Wrote: I agree, and the more leakers who serve prison time, the better. It looks as if Sessions is now turning into Columbo and targeting them.

I don't know about Columbo ... but if he undertakes this it's because he's becoming less 'collegial'.  If so that's probably a positive development. There probably isn't a bunch of investigation left to do. It's very, very unlikely that they don't know exactly who leaked what ... and very likely that there isn't a fairly straight trail of "Reality Winner" style breadcrumbs to convict. The hard part is the optics and politics involved in drafting and executing indictments. Session's is going to face heat for burning "whistle-blowers". Scaramucci's job is to demonstrate the sharp contrast between whistle-blowing and a bunch of damaging (at least to national security) hot air. Again, he was successful in getting people fired for damaging lies and b*llshit. Pompeo has indicated that this sh*t is reaching critical mass. Some folks will release just about anything, no matter the damage if there is some Hail Mary chance that it will look bad for Trump. It's beginning to get insane and it has to stop. If some talking head wants to argue to the contrary, let them. The job at hand will be to highlight this as idiocy. Again, I think they hired Scaramucci for that ... and to maybe engage in things to ensure that it's as costly as possible to the folks that indulge themselves.
-- Henry Mencken
They aren't going to ever find leakers and it's happening in this admin more than all others. There's one way to stop this , Joe Stalin knew how. That's it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Obama a few cards short of a full deck? Canuknucklehead 2 796 11-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Last Post: WmLambert