Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who blew up the Grand al-Nuri Mosque in Mosul?
Question 
Who blew up the Grand al-Nuri Mosque in Mosul?

al-jazeera Wrote:ISIL blamed US aircraft for destroying the mosque.
The US military Wrote:We did not strike in that area

The Grand al-Nuri Mosque was where ISIL's leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi gave a speech while standing at a pulpit to proclaim the creation of a "caliphate".

IMO the US did it with the green light of the Iraqi army.
Makes much more sens for the US/Iraqis to blow it up while ISIS fighters are inside than ISIS fighters blowing it up themselves while inside.

The videos footages are of very poor quality. You can't define what happened from online videos. But it's clear that a very large area was hit by explosions all at once.

We have no instance of ISIS suicide fighters blowing an entire area when surrounded but still fiercely fighting. They wear dynanite vests and blow up individualy instead.

This mosqe was the biggest ISIS symbol ever because that was the place of the declaration of the Caliphate. The only significat symbol they had.
Blow it up realy makes no sens.

But it's so much much easier for the coalition forces to advance after they blew it up with an airstrikem killing everybody inside all at once.
It allows to schedule the victory for the end of the Ramadan. And it eliminates a health azzard posed by Hunchback minaret anyway.

IMO the US did it.
Almost certainly us. Very big risk taking there. PR value to the bad guys. We've been using willie peter shells a lot in Iraq as well. It's technically illegal in cities like that, but, we're doing it.
So the Iraqi's blew it up. Good for them. One more task that the US doesn't have to do. All that was needed was the materiel and the technical training. No one says Iraqi's are too ignorant and stupid to have pulled it off.
The Iraqi's don't have enough air power to have blown that huge edifice to bits in seconds. Artillery shells could have accomplished it and if you would use your head, the mosque is in ISIS occupied territory. No one could set devices to do this but ISIS.

You're right on one thing, Iraqis are smart enough to destroy stuff just like we can, they just don't have the AF to do it right now.
We didn't do the job - just made sure Iraq had what it needed.
I agree with Patrick. We should have never allowed ourselves to get bogged down here, especially with a bunch of folks who are "Driving while Arab". We should never have allowed ourselves to have this stupid "Nation building" ideology. Its a total waste of money, resources and lives. When are we ever going to learn? Banghead
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
Quote:...U.S. President Thomas Jefferson ordered U.S. Navy vessels to the Mediterranean Sea in protest of continuing raids against U.S. ships by pirates from the Barbary states–Morocco, Algeria, Tunis, and Tripolitania. American sailors were often abducted along with the captured booty and ransomed back to the United States at an exorbitant price. After two years of minor confrontations, sustained action began in June 1803, when a small U.S. expeditionary force attacked Tripoli harbor in present-day Libya.

In April 1805, a major American victory came during the Derna campaign, which was undertaken by U.S. land forces in North Africa. Supported by the heavy guns of the USS Argus and the USS Hornet, Marines and Arab mercenaries under William Eaton captured Derna and deposed Yusuf Karamanli. Lieutenant Presley O’ Bannon, commanding the Marines, performed so heroically in the battle that Hamet Karamanli presented him with an elaborately designed sword that now serves as the pattern for the swords carried by Marine officers. The phrase “to the shores of Tripoli,” from the official song of the U.S. Marine Corps, also has its origins in the Derna campaign.

Projection of force may not always succeed, But it doesn't also always get bogged down. Those "Driving while Arab" folks respond to force with respect, and respond to Obama Rules of Engagement by pushing boundaries. We can makes things worse or make things better - but history should be used to teach, not to hide under the blankets.
William,

The US has not given Iraq an Air Force capable of such. Where do you get your info, Alex Jones'?

John,

The author below missed the military victory in Sri Lanka, otherwise he's close to right. Winning wars is a thing of the past if both sides are willing to fight because you don't have cases like Sri Lanka often where the stronger power can just flatten cities.

http://time.com/4826856/russia-trump-nor...china-war/
WmL Wrote:We didn't do the job - just made sure Iraq had what it needed.
Sure: You just provided the airplane, the bomb and the pilots.
OMG - Alex Jones? I've missed his program for thal last 20 years or so. Perhaos yo0u can catch me up on him. You seem to believe everything that conspiracy theory wackos spout, so you must cling to his every word.

I should have realized how hard it would be for someone to give some Iraqi's a big bomb to drop. I guess it's never been done before. Silly me!

And of course, if they had, it would be all over the front pages of every newspaper. You are just so smart!
Fred,

I would add "s" to airplane.

William,

Well, you keep stating ideas with no basis as if God told you these things. Go research Iraq's AF. It doesn't have the capability right now to carry this out. Yet, you insist Iraq did this?
??? A crop duster or mail plane could drop the "Mother of all bombs", couldn't it? Such a civilian aircraft is also easier to penetrate airspace because it looks innocent.

No one ever said terrorists or foreigners are all stupid and have no creativity or imagination. All the Iraqi's needed was the bomb, and that is available far and wide. We have fiber-cased bombs that don't show up on radar that could be loaned out. It's all there in the literature. Of course, an air bomb could be driven in on a truck and exploded, doing the same damage as if it was air-dropped. Physics is not a delimiter of how and what can be done.
??? A crop duster or mail plane could drop the "Mother of all bombs", couldn't it? Such a civilian aircraft is also easier to penetrate airspace because it looks innocent. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-43/B_MOAB

Uh, NO.
IMO a few guided missles hiting at the same time, could do it. The plane(s) could be far away when they fire the missiles.
(06-25-2017, 07:22 PM)Palladin Wrote: ??? A crop duster or mail plane could drop the "Mother of all bombs", couldn't it? Such a civilian aircraft is also easier to penetrate airspace because it looks innocent. "

Uh, NO.

Uh, YES. You are so myopic. You find the weight of the bomb, then select the aircraft to deliver it. The news story did not say the al-Nuri Mosque bomb was the same as the one that made all the news. As a matter of fact, it was specifically described as different. Iraq does have aircraft that can drop a bomb or two. ...And if not, they could hire a mercenary plane to do it.
(06-27-2017, 12:09 PM)WmLambert Wrote:
(06-25-2017, 07:22 PM)Palladin Wrote: ??? A crop duster or mail plane could drop the "Mother of all bombs", couldn't it? Such a civilian aircraft is also easier to penetrate airspace because it looks innocent. "

Uh, NO.

Uh, YES. You are so myopic. You find the weight of the bomb, then select the aircraft to deliver it. The news story did not say the al-Nuri Mosque bomb was the same as the one that made all the news. As a matter of fact, it was specifically described as different. Iraq does have aircraft that can drop a bomb or two. ...And if not, they could hire a mercenary plane to do it.

Bill get serious. You're living in La-La Land if you honestly believe that. Gah
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
A MOAB weighs in excess of 21,000 lbs .. A crop duster weighs what? 2000?

No reasonable human would continue this ignorant discussion.
Here is my point and a great example as to why Bill knows absolutely nothing about the military and how the Chain-of-Command works.  This is nothing like the civilian world.  And everyone in any form of authority/command is signed for and responsible for all of the material and personnel they command.  No commander, in his right mind, would Ever, Ever, hand out a huge bomb for some other military or mercenary unit.  

When I became Alpha company commander of a tank company in Korea, I did what every commanding officer does.  I had to SIGN for EVERYTHING I was responsible for.  I went with the present company commander, and the supply sergeant, and personally inspected EVERYTHING I was signing for.  I mean everything!!  The outgoing commander had to account for it all, or he had to either shit the item, or have the equivalent taken out of his pay.  That's right, he was personally accountable for Everything.  And if something was missing, I did not sign for it.

When I left Korea, I went through the same process, and it happens all of the time with the military, no excuses.  That's why all this military hardware, including machine guns, and assault weapons don't make it into the civilian market.  If you command an infantry company, or F-15 squadron, you are accountable for every rifle, every machine gun, every missile, every desk chair, Everything, and it has to be accounted for, no excuses.  

So, no commanding general is going to hand over anything without a direct order from the Pentagon, In Writing, and absolving him of any responsibility before he does anything.  You think I am kidding Bill?

Forget about any mercenary flying a MOAB anywhere, or any other Arab air force doing the same.  The Pentagon would have a Shit Fit and heads would roll.  All of that equipment left to the Iraqis was surplus equipment that required a presidential order, passed down from the Sec Army, to be turned over.  

Its all about accountability, dollar wise, and those who cannot remember this are doomed to misjudge how the military world works.  We have several retired navy NCOs here.  Ask them, and even though they were never in a command slot, they know full well what I am talking about.  As a tank company commander, I was personally responsible for millions of dollars of equipment and well over one hundred lives.  That's a Huge responsibility, and don't anyone ever forget it.
It wasn't a MOAB. The article made no determination even of there being multiple bombs. I guess if you want to pillory me for saying Mother of all bombs you can, but the point is that materiel is available - and not just from the pentagon.
(06-28-2017, 01:20 PM)WmLambert Wrote: It wasn't a MOAB. The article made no determination even of there being multiple bombs. I guess if you want to pillory me for saying Mother of all bombs you can, but the point is that materiel is available - and not just from the pentagon.

You're unable to understand my point Bill. My point is that EVERYTHING is accounted, and signed for, in the military. Someone is responsible for it and must account for it, or there will bee..........Trouble! You are born and raised a civilian and cannot wrap your brain around this. Its a FACT in the military. If you remember only one thing about the military, remember this one is it.