Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Illness tied to heavy Marijuana Use
Those who have been extolling the virtues of Marijuana use and claiming it has no serious health risks, need to be updated in their facts:

Quote:NEW YORK (CBS) - For more than two years, Lance Crowder was having severe abdominal pain and vomiting, and no local doctor could figure out why. Finally, an emergency room physician in Indianapolis had an idea.

“The first question he asked was if I was taking hot showers to find relief. When he asked me that question, I basically fell into tears because I knew he had an answer,” Crowder said.

The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

“They’ll often present to the emergency department three, four, five different times before we can sort this out,” said Dr. Kennon Heard, an emergency room physician in Aurora, Colorado.

He co-authored a study showing that since 2009, when medical marijuana became widely available, emergency room visits diagnoses for CHS in two Colorado hospitals nearly doubled. In 2012, the state legalized recreational marijuana.

“It is certainly something that, before legalization, we almost never saw,” Heard said. “Now we are seeing it quite frequently.”

Outside of Colorado, when patients do end up in an emergency room, the diagnosis is often missed. Partly because doctors don’t know about CHS, and partly because patients don’t want to admit to using a substance that’s illegal.

CHS can lead to dehydration and kidney failure, but usually resolves within days of stopping drug use. That’s what happened with Crowder, who has been off all forms of marijuana for seven months.

“Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,”he said.

CHS has only been recognized for about the past decade, and nobody knows exactly how many people suffer from it. But as more states move towards the legalization of marijuana, emergency room physicians like Dr. Heard are eager to make sure both doctors and patients have CHS on their radar.

© 2016 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Link: http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Mysteri...65045.html
Possibly, but, my late cousin smoked pot like most drink water and he never had this problem. Other than Snoop Dog, I don't know if there is a human who burned more doobies between 1965 and 2012.

Assume this is true, go do a search on medicinal values for NON SUPER HEAVY OVER USAGE. Helps with stuff like epilepsy, cancer nausea, glaucoma just off the top of my head. Helps with chemo users. Helps with chronic pain in humans and animals. This is why NFL guys swear by it.

On balance, it's a very good thing used moderately unless you have mental problems. It enhances all senses, so I would think if you have a mental disorder, it would enhance THAT as well, so we need to use our brains here.
Thanks Ron.  That's a good little tid bit is good to to know around here.  Contrary to popular speculation, we're not all pot heads here in Colorado.  Even OUR Supreme Court ... which is extremely liberal, has ruled that employers have the legal right to fire you if you test positive.  I'm sure people use it around me but they must be discrete because it simply doesn't come up as a topic of conversation and nobody wreaks of it ... except for one guy who was let go years ago.

But at least knowing that this exists could prove very helpful in getting people steered to the right diagnosis.  

Years ago, long before my mom passed, she had horrible abdominal pains that in one case put her into the hospital and me on a plane within about two hours.  They had her pegged for everything from pancreatic cancer to crohn's disease, countless tests, etc ... While she was in the hospital, a very good surgeon who had worked on her years earlier saw her and sat down to talk.  He asked if they had done an ovarian ultrasound.  Now this guy ... not an internal medicine guy, or gut doctor, etc...  mind you ... figured this out in about five minutes.  She had an ovarian cyst ... and had been to different quacks for about a year with pretty much no resolution.    They fixed it and she was pain free in quick order ... and one of the guys who missed it tried to take credit ... but pretty much everybody knew he was totally full of crap.  

Really good doctors will take note of the little aberrant details like what you describe above.  And Lord hope we get the good ones ... because medicine is like anything else.  There are those that are engaged, know what they're doing and want to do the best they can ... and then there are all the rest.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
That is very true, Mr_Yak, what you said about good doctors being the ones who notice small things others overlook. (Reminds you of Dr. House on TV!)

My sister was having severe gastric problems that led to her being hospitalized with serious dehydration, a few years ago. The doctors were baffled. One young doctor happened to overhear the other doctors talking about it, and a light went on in his head. He suggested Celiac disease--caused by sensitivity to wheat gluten (the protein in wheat), which produces an immune response. He knew about it because he had Celiac disease himself. The other doctors let him step in and talk to her. He subsequently became her regular doctor, and my mother's and mine.

Dr. Kohlenberg has a neat history--he has a big picture in his waiting room featuring the Iron Man Triathlon event he competed in a few years ago, titled "Escape from Alcatraz." The first leg started out with swimming from Alcatraz Island to the shore of San Francisco. And then there was the bicycling and jogging through hilly San Fran. He didn't win, but he did finish. So despite having Celiac disease, he is otherwise quite healthy. He also has a wife who is into healthful living and natural remedies. So he is respectful and cooperative with my vegetarianism and use of dietary supplements. When I proved I could lower my LDL count to acceptable levels by diet alone, he allowed me to stop taking the Atorvastatin (Lipitor equivalent) he had prescribed, without complaint.
Ron, having read the article, I came away with the point that it was "Heavy" use that brings on this situation. Perhaps you should add that word to your title, since little or moderate use doesn't seem to bring it on.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
Sorry John, I have no motivation to provide excuses for Marijuana use. You could argue the same thing about tobacco--it may take a long time to kill you, depending on how heavily and for how long you smoke. Notice toward the end of the article the comment: "'Now all kinds of ambition has come back. I desire so much more in life and, at 37 years old, it’s a little late to do it, but better now than never,' he said." Apparently there is a recognition that Marijuana use can reduce intangible things like "ambition." Just because something may feel good for a time, does not mean it is good for you.

Proponents of Marijuana use always extol the presumed medical use benefits, as if that suggests it should be OK for recreational use as well. But that belies the assumption that smoking Marijuana has no harmful effects. Those assumptions need to be updated with the latest facts.

I think human beings are better off not smoking ANYTHING. Smoke of any kind does not belong in the lungs. Fresh, clean air is what our lungs were made for, and that is what will make us feel best in the long run--literally, for a longer life. People like to take stimulants into the lungs, because aside from actual injections, that is the fastest way to take substances into the blood.

Now, if someone wants to bake Marijuana into their brownies or cookies, I don't think I can really criticize that, since I know of no studies that indicate any problems with it. It might also reduce your "ambition," but I don't know if that is true.
(06-21-2017, 04:12 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Sorry John, I have no motivation to provide excuses for Marijuana use.

I don't either. However, does accuracy mean anything to you? That's the main point, and I would think it to also be important with you as well. Are you saying that all is fair regardless......? And since when does honesty/accuracy equal excuses?

I don't smoke anything, and I quit drinking beer, so alcohol is out with me too. I am totally repulsed by the Chinese dog eating festival that those barbarians had the other day over there. But I would never consider coloring the truth either.

Think about it.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
I do not think that being careful to include the talking points of the pro-Marijuana crowd is what constitutes accuracy. Journalism is one thing; propaganda is something else. The title as stated is exactly accurate. The article gives all the facts.
They are not presumed, they are proven by peer reviewed science. Not that you ever got affected by a thing like that.
(06-21-2017, 08:24 PM)Palladin Wrote: They are not presumed, they are proven by peer reviewed science. Not that you ever got affected by a thing like that.

I've had a lot of flame wars with pot heads that have a near religious belief that simply it can't cause problems.  But it absolutely can.  I've seen it in a number of ways.  For young people it causes real and devastating damage ... and that comes from peer reviewed science.  After being in the waiting room of a Vet Hospital I have personally witnessed the horrible torture that can be inflicted on pets that OD after eating 'candy' that is left lying around. The nit pick that the disclaimer "heavy use" seems a bit trite.  I voted for Amendment 66 here in Colorado Paladin, because I thought there were a bunch of law enforcement resources that were being miss-allocated.  I'll stick to that even with the unintended consequences.  But thinking that dope causes no harm is simply naive.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
My point, which is still valid, is straight from the article itself.

Quote:The answer was cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, or CHS. It’s caused by heavy, long-term use of various forms of marijuana. For unclear reasons, the nausea and vomiting are relieved by hot showers or baths.

That does not mean casual, or occasional, use. We on this forum have complained about how the whores have a habit of blowing things out of proportion and misleading others, by misstating things such as titles. And yet, we turn right around and practice the very thing we blame them for doing.

As it stands, this post really belongs in the Sandbox.
Once again, John, your personal bias is showing. Now you are making threats about moving the thread to the sandbox if you don't get your way. There is no honest need to change the title. I can't change it, anyway. Marijuana use does for a fact cause this disease. The qualification that it is heavy and long-term use is stated in the article.
(06-22-2017, 08:38 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Once again, John, your personal bias is showing. Now you are making threats about moving the thread to the sandbox if you don't get your way. There is no honest need to change the title. I can't change it, anyway. Marijuana use does for a fact cause this disease. The qualification that it is heavy and long-term use is stated in the article.

Ron, once again you fail to realize that I am responsible for this forum, and have to look at things a bit differently than you. In other words, you are "involved" but I am "committed". There is a difference. Now, I have asked you before if you would like to take this place off my hands and give me a break, and you have refused. I've asked others, but to no avail. So, once again, would you do me a favor and shoulder the responsibility of keeping this place successful, the responsibility of ownership? I'm tired and mentally worn out.

Whether or not I like pot, is not the point here. Its honesty, and the title is less than accurate. You have been around the MSM perhaps too long and think that what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Now, I'll give you a choice if you still refuse to shoulder the burden of ownership of this forum. One, do you want the title amended, or two do you want it moved to the Sandbox?
John, the title is totally accurate. Marijuana use does for a fact cause a serious disease, that is potentially fatal (the article explicitly says that--liver damage, kidney damage, that lead to death, are possible).

Since you think it is so important to state even in the title that it is heavy, prolonged use of Marijuana that causes the disease, can you say you are really sure that there are no other harmful effects of Marijuana use in lesser, occasional use? Would it really be accurate to state that "ONLY heavy, prolonged use of Marijuana has harmful effects?" That is what you want me to imply. But do you know this for sure? It has now been proven that Marijuana use can cause a serious, potentially fatal disease.

In any medical trial, when researchers are trying to determine if a new drug, etc., may have harmful side effects, they always administer heavy, sometimes prolonged doses (to test animals), on the theory that any deleterious effects will show up faster. When such effects are found, researchers do not approve the new drug even for lighter, occasional use.

As for taking over the forum, this is not something I wish to do. You have given plenty of examples of how onerous the responsibility can be. If you had always been happy about it, you might be able to sell me--but then if you were happy about it, you wouldn't be talking about unloading it. Sorry, John. I do appreciate your dedication and long-standing hard work. But that is not how I wish to spend my time. And my finances are limited. At present, I do not even have a car.
Yak,

Water can cause problems if you drink to much, death.

Marijuana helps with so many physical ailments based on 50 years research, peer reviewed, at Harvard. It's not a debate.

You can be like Ron and ignore it, but, when someone in your family is suffering like hellfire from Krohn's disease or extreme colitis, you will be thankful to God He created pot because it makes it go away.

I know a theologian in California who told my son he could not live w/o pot due to this disease. Legal medicines that don't help as much cause cancer and cost a fortune.

My son is taking one, Humira. Males in his age group are particularly susceptible to cancer and Humira.

He's in a bind with pot because he will lose his job( we could care less about the law, it's wrong).

It should be legal everywhere. It's way more benign than alcohol and cigarettes.

BTW, if Paul is right in Galatians, the more we attempt to manage conduct by more "do not do this" laws, the more usage we see. That's the exact case he made in Galatians vis a vis Torah and it's >600 "do not do this" rules. It created more sin, not less.

Legalize these drugs and they become less, not more of a problem and profits no longer go to drug gangs. Prohibition is one big flawed idea.
The key to this whole thing is "Liberty" where a person is accountable for his/her actions. I smoked pot about three times in the early-mid 70s, and even though it made me outrageously happy and hungry, it didn't do anything for me in the long run. Its simply not worth altering my thinking capabilities. But if an adult wants to smoke it, and he/she is not harming others, its their responsibility, and society should not be held accountable for it.

Legislating morals is a losing proposition, and Prohibition should have taught us that by now.
John,

Your view is mine. I'd treat that stuff like we do alcohol. Drive under the influence, go to jail, pay more for insurance, 21 or over to buy it, etc.

I just do not understand the view making something illegal "helps" or reduces use because we have way more drug problems right now than in 1930 when all this stuff was legal. Dang cocaine was legal back then.

BTW, do you remember Vang Pao? PBS just did a 4 part special titled, "America's Secret Drug War". He played a huge role in our heroin problems come to find out.
Never heard of him. Doh
(06-22-2017, 03:20 PM)Palladin Wrote: Yak,

Water can cause problems if you drink to much,  death.

Marijuana helps with so many physical ailments based on 50 years research, peer reviewed, at Harvard. It's not a debate.

You can be like Ron and ignore it, but, when someone in your family is suffering like hellfire from Krohn's disease or extreme colitis, you will be thankful to God He created pot because it makes it go away.

I know a theologian in California who told my son he could not live w/o pot due to this disease. Legal medicines that don't help as much cause cancer and cost a fortune.

My son is taking one, Humira. Males in his age group are particularly susceptible to cancer and Humira.

He's in a bind with pot because he will lose his job( we could care less about the law, it's wrong).

It should be legal everywhere. It's way more benign than alcohol and cigarettes.

BTW, if Paul is right in Galatians, the more we attempt to manage conduct by more "do not do this" laws, the more usage we see. That's the exact case he made in Galatians vis a vis Torah and it's >600 "do not do this" rules. It created more sin, not less.

Legalize these drugs and they become less, not more of a problem and profits no longer go to drug gangs. Prohibition is one big flawed idea.

This sounds a lot like the flame wars ... particularly the drinking too much water example ... but your comments are much more polite.  If you read my earlier posts, you'll find that I voted in favor of Amendment 64 which legalizes it here in Colorado.  I'm not advocating prohibition, but now and in the past I've mentioned several unintended consequences.  For example the homeless population in Denver has skyrocketed ... because if you have to be living rough ... might as well be somewhere where you can do it high ... right?  It's all fun and games until you find some transient stoner using your porch as a urinal.  We've had lots of issues with people ODing on edibles too.  The very militant pot heads will argue this vehemently because the LD-50 for pot is astronomical.  It's very difficult if not impossible to get a lethal dose ... but jumping out a window or doing something really stupid or simply making yourself violently ill is a very real possibility.  That's because people who have smoked some small casual amount in the past are not prepared for the enormous dose they can get from an innocent looking candy bar.  I'm not arguing for prohibition, again, I voted in favor.  But to call it completely harmless simply isn't factual.
-- Henry Mencken
It is not harmless, we can't find anything on earth that is harmless. That's not a reasonable threshold.

Too much O2 and you die, too much water, etc.

No legal drug is remotely close to harmless. Humira causes cancer for heaven's sake and for my son the % is around 5% odds. That's high, IMO. I prefer he could smoke a toke at night every night and fix his problem.

Pot is very good for X amount of physical ailments and it is less harmful than cigs and alcohol even when abused.

There simply is no reasonable basis for the state to outlaw it while those 2 are legal and we have history indicating outlawing these things causes worse problems.

To me, it's not even close.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mental Illness In Eorope John L 8 2,107 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM
Last Post: Joan