Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navy Ship Collision
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-...an-n773521

No one ever believed me when I explained how vulnerable ships were based on what my son told me when he was on the USS Ashland.  This ship was TEE BONED by a cargo ship and didn't have a clue it was there.

The poor lost 7 most likely are crushed to death right where the impact occurred.
One news report I heard said the container ship was headed into port, when it inexplicably turned around and headed back out toward the U.S.S. Elizabeth, which it rammed in the starboard side. This curious behavior makes me wonder if someone on the container ship (which was four times bigger than the destroyer) was trying to make a deliberate attack against the American Navy vessel.

But one also has to wonder how the destroyer apparently received insufficient warning from radar or sonar. It is a densely traveled port area, and one would think they should keep a sharper lookout. At least the destroyer made it into port safely, where repairs can be made. But most unfortunately, seven American sailors are still missing. The container ship struck the destroyer in a berthing area, where sailors were sleeping.
A Navy ship should be just a tad higher quality than have the equal of a moving football field come hit it going 20 knots and not until it hit did the Navy figure it out.

What the helmsman on the container ship thought is not the point here. The Navy is supposed to be able top put other navies at the bottom of the ocean, not get hit by moving football fields at 20 knots.

Imagine a cruise missile heads toward a Navy ship? Dead US sailors. And, we're going to have the great bad fortune of waking up to this reality before too much longer cause the world is getting seriously tired of US hegemony and our Navy is the most spread out, vulnerable face of it.
Yes it's amazing how a navy ship can be hit so easily. Unbelievable.
I think John can tell us this better than most, but I understand large US ships stay over the horizon whenever possible, and only come into port at safe zones. Large ships need port time to load supplies and undergo maintenance. When they do, they shut down.
(06-18-2017, 09:57 PM)WmLambert Wrote: I think John can tell us this better than most, but I understand large US ships stay over the horizon whenever possible, and only come into port at safe zones. Large ships need port time to load supplies and undergo maintenance. When they do, they shut down.

I cannot answer that one. I was not navy. Spiteful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
From what I heard, the container ship came into port, then made a U-turn to hit the ship. Sounds like a plan.
They were 56 miles off shore.

My son said if they were taking on supplies at sea, it is understandable. You're immobilized.

He couldn't understand how it could happen otherwise as these ships keep sailors on deck looking out. Reports said it was a clear night. They are supposed to have sophisticated radar.

I doubt a container ship was stalking our destroyer at sea if that's what you and Ron are suggesting. That's like you in a piper cub stalking an F-22. World doesn't work that way.
Warships have a port & stbd lookout, and rescue lookouts at all times while at sea. I'm surprised one of them didn't sound an alarm.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
The closer you approach to a main port, the more shipping traffic lanes tend to converge. Just because you see a ship within a mile or two of your ship would not cause any alarm. And ships to your starboard (right) are supposed to have the right-of-way. But the moment when a ship suddenly turns aside and drives in at 20 knots to hit you on your starboard side, you may not notice much in the dark until the last few seconds.

According to the Daily Wire, the circumstances of the collision raise the serious possibility that it was a deliberate act of terrorism:

Quote:Confusing and contradictory reports are surfacing regarding the timing of the collision between the U.S.S. Fitzgerald and container ship, ACX Crystal. Additionally, a peculiar track taken by the ACX Crystal makes it look like the collision may have been deliberate.

According to ABC News, “the route of the container ship ACX Crystal, provided by vessel-tracking service MarineTraffic, shows that the ship made a sudden turn around 1:30 a.m., as if possibly trying to avoid something, before continuing eastward. The ACX Crystal then made a U-turn and returned around 2:20 a.m. to the area near the collision.”
Link: http://www.dailywire.com/news/17705/fitz...frank-camp

Remember, the cargo ship was four times the size of the destroyer.
I have spent quite a bit of time fishing in Lake Erie close to the Erie and Welland Canal system. Large merchant ships are noisy, they should have heard by those standing watch on the upper decks.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
It has also been reported that when the container ship rammed the American destroyer, the container ship neither had its running lights or transponder on. And remember, the collision occurred in the dark.
Ron,

Bicycle was in the Navy and my son was, this is going to turn out to be a case of tremendous malfeasance probably. They should have seen this ship via radar easily a long time before impact. I think the radar was turned off to be honest.

The Seals try all the time to sneak up on our vessels to test the vigilance of the lookouts and they're very talented at sneaking up at night riding waves, etc. My son got an award for catching them approaching his ship once. They ride those small rubber rafts. You think my son would have missed a moving football field on a clear night? Seriously?

There is something real wrong with this story and the intent of the cargo captain doesn't change that. 56 miles off shore is a long way, too.
The collision took place on the middle watch, the ship's master was probably sleeping. A merchant ship would have an Officer of the Watch, helmsman, and lookout on watch. I doubt the OOW would leave the bridge for any reason. The only way this could be an act of terrorism is if both the OOW and Helmsman were in it together or the OOW took over the helm while the helmsman used the head.
Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit U.S. Destroyer

Why didn't the lookouts hear and see the freighter and why didn't the destroyer's OOW take evasive action?
Article today said the destroyer's radar did not see the freighter. That's simply unbelievable. It's useless if it didn't.

My son said the lookouts had to be sleeping.
I doubt the stbd lookout could sleep on watch without being noticed. There should have also been someone on rescue watch. We used to throw a rescue dummy off the flag deck without notice, if the guy on rescue watch missed it, he'd have a lot of explaining to do.
Perhaps the past Obama ROE allowed sleeping on duty, and didn't encourage duty. Perhaps things are changing.
Yea, this is Barack's doing, ya just know it was.
~US NAVY SCRAMBLING~!! TRUTH REVEALED! FITZGERALD ATTACKED TWICE!!