Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I Got a car; the truth about Friday the 13th
It turned out that Friday the 13th was pretty fortunate for me. My mom saw an ad in the local paper for a car being offered on a two-year lease at a local dealership for a good price. So I got my brother Bill who lives nearby to take me. It took a long time, and we discovered it would cost more than the ad said because I was not coming off of a previous lease, but they finally got me into a 2017 Chevy Cruze. It has so many modern features--rear camera for backup, keyless remote start, high-res digital display screen on the dash! The dealer smiled and said, "Welcome to the 21st century!" Actually, when I got home finally, I was pretty tired, and somehow forgot how to turn off the car. I had to read the owner's manual. Finally I realized: "Oh yes! there is a big Start/Stop button on the dash." I decided not to drive it to church until I am better acquainted with the car.

This is definitely the nicest car I have ever been allowed to drive. Now when the check comes from the insurance company of the driver who hit my previous car (and was ticketed), that will help to pay for the increased costs.

Have I told you my theory about Friday the 13th?

Some people wonder where the tradition that Friday the 13th is unlucky got started. My suspicion is that Satan started it. He is the one who views Friday the 13th as unlucky--for him. Why? 13 is the sum of the numbers six and seven. Six is the number that signifies man, because man was created on the sixth day of Creation Week. Seven is the number that signifies God, because God created life on earth in seven days, and ordained the seventh day as the Rest Day that would forever be the Sabbath for mankind, in commemoration of Creation. Since Jesus is both the Son of God and the Son of Man, the sum of 7 and 6, 13, symbolically represents Jesus our Savior. Furthermore, Jesus was crucified on Friday. That is what signaled the final death knell of Satan's kingdom--when Jesus went through with it, despite all the horrendous treatment that Satan incited humans to heap upon Him, hoping to break Him and turn Him aside from His purpose.

So we humans should regard Friday the 13th as a supremely "lucky" or fortunate day for US! It signifies our Salvation in Christ! It is the sign of Christ's victory for us on Calvary! Whenever we have a Friday the 13th, we should celebrate it as "Salvation Day!"
What color is it Ron?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Kind of a silver-grey. It was what they had. And I am not fussy about the color--as long as it is not bright red. That just wouldn't suit my personality. It is a 2017 Chevy Cruze LT.

Sure is cute. S22
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Looks like Friday the 13th was reasonably fortunate for you.

S22

Interesting that you mention the technology.

The "luxury car" tech has moved rapidly down to even the lower level small cars.

I was like "so it has a backup camera" when I first got a car with one, but after using it a few times I'm more like "dayum, this is great".

Enjoy.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
The car is billed as "key-less." But what if the battery goes dead, in the car or in the transmitter? Well, it turns out it is not really key-less after all. You press a little button on the transmitter and pull it apart, and you have a key in your hand. Then lift a little cover on the door handle, and there is a hidden keyhole.

You are right, JohnWho. Technology has gotten a lot cheaper and more commonly applied. It still amazes me when I look at all the really cheap but high quality, HD televisions. And my little Cruze has most of the features of my sister's Impala. I have been studying the Owner's Manual. Surprisingly, they do not have a way to check the transmission fluid level. They say the only way it could get low is for there to be a leak, so if you get a warning message in your Driver Information Center about the transmission fluid level, you have to take the car in to the dealer to get it serviced. Thoughtfully there are secondary controls for the audio system on the steering wheel column, so you can change stations or search without having to take your eyes off the road to glance over at the radio. The car also has an automatic stop/start feature, that actually kills the engine when you come to a stop for a few seconds like at a traffic light, then restarts when you take your foot off the brake or step on the accelerator. It will be interesting to see if that works reliably--I was always wary of having the engine stall at a light, for fear it might have trouble starting again. But the car is rated at 28 mpg city and 35 mpg highway, so maybe it works. It seems like a rather daring engineering tactic.
I think the auto stop/start fuel economy feature only works if the engine has reached a certain operating temperature. That would improve the reliability of restarting.

I got the radio set to the AM-FM stations I like to listen to. I also have Sirius XM--Satellite, which gives me the radio version of Fox News Channel, a couple of classical music stations, and it looks like 150 stations all together. Of course, that is a subscription service, and I may not want to continue when my trial membership expires. Depends on how much it costs. It allows me to store up to 25 favorite channels in various media--AM, FM, SXM. The audio sounds good.

One thing a little strange--the battery is not located under the hood, it is located behind the right rear passenger seat. It can only be accessed through a panel in the back of the trunk. For jump starts, there are two terminals under the hood for attaching jumper cables to--which seems like a good safety feature, actually, since it would obviate the possibility of the battery exploding in your face.

Cars have all these great features, now. But the complexity is off the chart! I remember my very first car, a used 1960 Chevy Impala. I could fix anything under the hood with a wrench and a screwdriver and maybe a pair of pliers. Those days are long gone!
I agree with that last Ron - it somewhat amazes me with all the technology, mechanical complexity, etc. that so many of the new cars are almost without any problems when they are first driven off the lot.

Yeah, there may be some minor dings, scratches, not good fits, etc., but mostly the darned things work!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(01-15-2017, 05:32 PM)JohnWho Wrote: ...many of the new cars are almost without any problems when they are first driven off the lot.

The technology is sound, but little things like the computer control center runs everything. That's what got VW in trouble when they built in a hack to change settings when checked for exhaust gasses. The main thing we mortals can do is take care of the body. That's where most of the problems are during the build process. The USA assembly lines use the exact same machines to build the cars as they do in Mexico - yet the Mexico cars come out with no defects, and the USA lines have special lots to park the cars that come out with multiple defects.
There is one thing the US auto makers have to put up with that those in Mexico don't: Unions. And that covers a whole lot of territory that I am not even going to begin getting into. Gah

(01-15-2017, 09:37 PM)John L Wrote: There is one thing the US auto makers have to put up with that those in Mexico don't: Unions.  And that covers a whole lot of territory that I am not even going to begin getting into.   Gah

Unions is a major part of it, and the meritless seniority system... but the main problem is the same reason there are hard workers in poor countries: it is the best living they've ever had and work hard to keep it.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Friday the 13th John L 0 317 09-13-2013, 10:57 PM
Last Post: John L