Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
666 the "disgusting" number
Do you believe that 6 or 666 is the "disgusting" number?

...because: 666 + 666 + 666 + 6 + 6 +6 = 2016

The year of all evils (Obamacare, Trump's election, ...)

More seriousely: are you supertitious about this number and where does that come from?
I don't Fred. I can't vouch for others.

I wonder what brought this up for you? Was it an article, or something where someone sent you a link? Just curious.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

666 is the sum of the first 36 natural numbers, i.e. 1 + 2 + 3 + ... + 34 + 35 + 36 = 666).

The Roman numeral for 666, DCLXVI, has exactly one occurrence of all symbols whose value is less than 1000 in decreasing order (D = 500, C = 100, L = 50, X = 10, V = 5, I = 1).

Irrational fear of the number 666 is called hexakosioihexekontahexaphobia,

From Wikipedia: "The Number of the beast is described in the passage of Revelation 13:15–18. The actual number is only mentioned once, in verse 18. In the Greek manuscripts, the Book of Revelation is titled The Apocalypse of John[3] where this number is rendered in Greek numerical form as χξϛ,[4] or sometimes literally as ἑξακόσιοι ἑξήκοντα ἕξ, hexakósioi hexēkonta héx, "six hundred and sixty-six".[5][6] There are several interpretations-translations for the meaning of the phrase "Here is Wisdom, Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast" where the peculiar Greek word ψηφισάτω (psephisato) is used. Possible translations include not only "to count", "to reckon" but also "to vote" or "to decide".[7]"

Numbers are feared and revered in most cultures. One expensive Chinese restaurant delayed its opening for several months to meet the auspicious date 7/7/77.
The number six is symbolic in the Bible of the creature (as opposed to the Creator), especially man, since man was created on the sixth day of Creation Week. Tripling it makes it emphatic. The prophecy involving this number concerns creature-worship, that is, worship of the creature rather than the Creator. Note that a "beast" is the same thing as a "creature." It is talking about an end-time spiritual conspiracy which exalts humanity and human institutions in the place of God. It is subtle, because the human institutions are churches (symbolized by women in the prophecy--in Rev. 17, a corrupt woman rides the beast). So venerating your church in the place of Christ, is partaking of the spirit of antichrist (which means "in the place of Christ"), and will lead to you receiving the mark of the beast (creature).

Further cultural relevance is that in Roman times, it was a common custom to convert names into their numerical value, since the Roman numbering system used letters. What we call "U" was regarded as the same as "V," since letters carved into stone with chisels could not easily employ curves. Letters that were not numbers, like "E," were simply ignored.

For hundreds of years many Protestants regarded it as significant that the Papal inscription, "Vicarius Filii Dei," (Vicar of the Son of God) adds up to 666 in Roman numerals. (This is one of the official titles of the Pope according to Papal canons and other Catholic publications.) Here is how it is numbered:

V = 5
I = 1
C = 100
A = no value
R = no value
I = 1
U = V = 5
S = no value
_____

F = no value
I = 1
L = 50
I = 1
I = 1
_____

D = 500
E = no value
I = 1
_____

The total is 666.

In fairness, it is possible to play games with various names so that some of them come out to 666. But Vicarius Filii Dei was seen as especially signficant, because it describes what was wrong with the Papal system--exalting men in the place of Christ. In the Bible, the only legitimate vicar or representative of Christ on earth is the Holy Spirit.
(01-02-2017, 11:53 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: The number six is symbolic in the Bible of the creature (as opposed to the Creator), especially man, since man was created on the sixth day of Creation Week. Tripling it makes it emphatic. The prophecy involving this number concerns creature-worship, that is, worship of the creature rather than the Creator. Note that a "beast" is the same thing as a "creature." It is talking about an end-time spiritual conspiracy which exalts humanity and human institutions in the place of God. It is subtle, because the human institutions are churches (symbolized by women in the prophecy--in Rev. 17, a corrupt woman rides the beast). So venerating your church in the place of Christ, is partaking of the spirit of antichrist (which means "in the place of Christ"), and will lead to you receiving the mark of the beast (creature).

Further cultural relevance is that in Roman times, it was a common custom to convert names into their numerical value, since the Roman numbering system used letters. What we call "U" was regarded as the same as "V," since letters carved into stone with chisels could not easily employ curves. Letters that were not numbers, like "E," were simply ignored.

For hundreds of years many Protestants regarded it as significant that the Papal inscription, "Vicarius Filii Dei," (Vicar of the Son of God) adds up to 666 in Roman numerals. (This is one of the official titles of the Pope according to Papal canons and other Catholic publications.) Here is how it is numbered:

V = 5      
I = 1
C = 100
A = no value
R = no value
I = 1
U = V = 5
S =  no value
_____

F = no value
I = 1
L = 50
I = 1
I = 1
_____

D = 500
E =  no value
I = 1
_____

The total is 666.

In fairness, it is possible to play games with various names so that some of them come out to 666. But Vicarius Filii Dei was seen as especially signficant, because it describes what was wrong with the Papal system--exalting men in the place of Christ. In the Bible, the only legitimate vicar or representative of Christ on earth is the Holy Spirit.
Fred,

In Greek gematria, 666 = Nero. In Latin gematria, 616 = Nero. There are a couple of manuscripts with 616.

I think that's what John was signaling myself and do a search on "Nero recidivist" and you will see that there was a powerful rumor that Nero would return to life and Rome and at least 1 temporarily successful faker got away with it for a few days.

I'm too lazy to search where, but, relating to the "beast" in this passage area he is said to be, to have died and to return which fits the Nero rumor mill of that era.