Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prolong from Beowulf?
Yes, David Weber has Prolong in his Honorverse novels. Seems to be quicker to arrive than SF puts it.

I've often said that our generation is the most impactful and important one in all of human history. We have started the migration to the stars, and we have begun conquering aging.
I am willing to accept that certain nutrients and treatments may slow down aging, but reversing aging is not very likely. I have read that if you take Omega 3, 6, 9 fatty acids along with Vitamin E mixed tocopherols, this will help lengthen the telomeres at the ends of your chromosomes, which some researchers think is a key mechanism in aging as they are shortened. Something called PQQ is supposed to cause more mitochondria to grow in the cell cytoplasm throughout your body, replacing those that are lost as you age, and supposedly giving you added energy. According to recent studies by the National Institute of Health, avoiding foods that are high in the amino acid Leucine prevents activation of a "TOR Signaling" mechanism in cells that accelerates aging. (Leucine levels are elevated in all animal foods, including dairy, which seems to complement those exhaustive government studies that show that vegans on average live 12 years longer than humans who are omnivores.) Avoiding use of tobacco, unneeded drugs, and alcoholic beverages (which stress the liver) are another way to optimize health and longevity. Then of course there is the desirability of good and balanced general nutrition, and reasonable exercise.
By the way, I am currently reading David Weber's latest Honorverse novel, Shadow of Victory, which unfortunately is mostly a reprise of a portion of history that has already been set forth previously.
(12-16-2016, 02:41 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: ...reversing aging is not very likely.exercise.

Since science has already proved the reversal of ageing in mammals, it seems highly likely.

Quote:"Obviously, mice are not humans and we know it will be much more complex to rejuvenate a person. But this study shows that ageing is a very dynamic and plastic process, and therefore will be more amenable to therapeutic interventions than what we previously thought."
Have any of these mammals (mice) who supposedly had their aging reversed truly been made young again, so they never died?
Quote:Using a new technique which takes adult cells back to their embryonic form, US researchers at the Salk Institute in California, showed it was possible to reverse ageing in mice, allowing the animals to not only look younger, but live for 30 per cent longer.

The technique involves stimulating four genes which are particularly active during development in the womb. It was also found to work to turn the clock back on human skin cells in the lab, making them look and behave younger.
"30 per cent longer" lifespan is desirable, but does not constitute a real renewal of life, where the aging process is totally reversed, and the biological clock is reset all the way back to zero. There is no potential immortality here.

The Bible records the lifespans of people before the Genesis Flood routinely reaching 600 to almost a thousand years, with a sudden dropoff coming after the Flood. Those of us who accept these ages suspect one of the things that made the difference was the sudden lessening of air pressure at the surface of the earth, as a result of the "waters above the expanse" being precipitated down during the Flood. (Creationist scientists have speculated that the surface air pressure before the Flood was about twice what it is now, verified by bubbles trapped in amber. Also supporting this are actuarial tables that indicate the average lifespans of people who live in mile-high Denver are about ten years shorter than those who live close to sea level, such as in Florida.) Another obviously was the common adoption of animal foods as part of the diet after the Flood. Though according to government studies, vegans only live an average of 12 years longer than those who use animal-based foods.

I have been calling for tests of the air pressure idea for over 50 years, using a pressurized terrarium, but I have not heard of anyone trying it. Engineering such strength would be expensive. A second terrarium to serve as a non-pressurized control would also be needed.

The ultimate answer to lifespan extension would be renewed access to the Tree of Life, which is the teaching of the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. The Bible says God is not willing for there to be immortal sinners. That is why He removed the Tree of Life from us. It, along with the Garden of Eden itself, are believed to have been removed from earth and taken to Heaven, to serve as the Central Park of the New Jerusalem, which will be inhabited by the faithful Redeemed.
No, the answer is to get Prolong from Beowulf and administer it early.

Seriously. What this proves is that gene manipulation is the next step up in medical science.
(12-20-2016, 02:43 PM)WmLambert Wrote: No, the answer is to get Prolong from Beowulf and administer it early.

Seriously. What this proves is that gene manipulation is the next step up in medical science.

Just for your information, I think I will butt in.  The correct spelling here is "Beowulf" if you are using the Honorverse as an example.   Just thought I'd mention that.  Spiteful
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Some people refuse to eat GMO foods. Will we get to the point where some refuse to marry GMO people? Will it be questioned whether GMO people are entitled to human rights? S5
If God gave mankind the knowledge and use of the physical laws of the Universe, why should there be limits?

BTW: Thnx John, I was too lazy to double check the spelling, and I actually wondered about it. I hope this doesn't enter Fake news.
It is a pretty sure bet that God will not allow us to travel back in time so that we could change anything. He reserves to Himself mastery of Time, which He created. In regards to atomic bombs, God did impose limits, by making them hard to build, requiring expensive materials and precise technology.
(12-20-2016, 06:56 PM)WmLambert Wrote: If God gave mankind the knowledge and use of the physical laws of the Universe, why should there be limits?

BTW: Thnx John, I was too lazy to double check the spelling, and I actually wondered about it. I hope this doesn't enter Fake news.

I'll let you change the title.  Just go back to your original post, and hit the "Edit" button.  Then hit the "Full Edit" button and the title can also be Edited.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
(12-21-2016, 09:55 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: It is a pretty sure bet that God will not allow us to travel back in time so that we could change anything. He reserves to Himself mastery of Time, which He created. In regards to atomic bombs, God did impose limits, by making them hard to build, requiring expensive materials and precise technology.

Nobody is presuming to move back in time - although maybe we will sometime if science permits. Fighting ageing is not blasphemy.
Fighting aging in relative terms is OK. Trying to gain immortality for ourselves by our own endeavors would be blasphemy.
(12-23-2016, 04:50 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: Fighting aging in relative terms is OK. Trying to gain immortality for ourselves by our own endeavors would be blasphemy.

Howso? Christianity is infused with the idea that God gave us knowledge of the physical laws of the universe so that learning how things work shows how great He is. Why should anyone self-limit what was given for us to learn and accomplish? One of the sole differences between faith in the Christian God and the god(s) of Rome and Ancient Greece is that they were whimsical and did things as they pleased, so Mankind could never have trust.
God said explicitly that He would not allow human beings to become immortal sinners.

Quote:Then the Lord God said, "Behold, the man has become like one of Us, knowing good and evil; and now, lest he stretch out his hand, and take also from the tree of life, and eat, and live forever"--therefore the Lord God sent him out from the garden of Eden, to cultivate the ground from which he was taken. So He drove the man out; and at the east of the garden of Eden He stationed the cherubim, and the flaming sword which turned every direction, to guard the way to the tree of life. (Genesis 3:22-24; NIV)

Supposing that we can science our way to immortality is a secularized form of salvation by works. There is salvation--eternal life--only in Jesus Christ.
Fighting ageing is not immortality. However; if God-given science allows that, then that is his gift. Perhaps a test that we are worthy.

Remember: first generation of Mankind to begin to populate the stars AND to combat ageing. Two reinforcing ideas whose time has come. It's not in the future, it is here now. The red line in the sand had been crossed. God is not Obama. He wants us to.
Jesus Christ has already obtained true immortality for all humans. He is the new Head of the human race, the new Adam, and in Him all humanity has been perfected and made worthy of eternal life. The only "work" required of us is that we choose to rely on what He has already accomplished for us. Trying to obtain these things by other means would amount to rejecting the only immortality God has made available to us. There is the condition that sinful man must become transformed, to be capable of fellowship with sinless beings on the other worlds that populate the universe. This transformation of our own spirit we are not capable of doing; but the Spirit of our Creator can transform us, and it is Christ who has obtained the right for us to receive this gift of spiritual transformation by the Holy Spirit working in us and with us, as we freely choose to allow ourselves to be transformed step by step. The Gospel of salvation in Christ is easy. We only have to rely on God in Christ. The struggle to obtain immortality or any form of agelessness apart from the one provision God has made in Christ, is endlessly difficult, because it is in fact impossible. Natural Law does not create life. Nor can it convey immortal life by any means. God alone is the Source of all life. He alone is inherently immortal (see 1 Timothy 6:15, 16). So He alone can confer immortality on His creatures.
If increased life is outside Heaven, then don't sweat it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pill to prolong the inevitable John L 5 2,245 02-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Last Post: John L