Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amazon's Future
I buy a lot of things from Amazon, and have done so for several years now. I love not having to troop around, going from store to store, just to get what I am looking for. And naturally the internet makes this easy for me.

But Amazon is about to have some serious competitors in the next twelve months. Naturally, there's BestBuy, eBay, and lastly Wal-Mart. But Wal-Mart seems to have the inside track to become the Giant Amazon slayer soon. And they made a very wise move by acquiring an already established online retailer, which is already set up for hitting the ground running.

Amazon may finally have a formidable competitor

Quote:Wal-Mart Stores (WMT) is reportedly in talks to acquire online retailer Jet.com, a move that should have the executives at Amazon.com a little nervous.

This deal could potentially be a game changer for retail. While Wal-Mart is massive in the brick-and-mortar business, it is nowhere near is big as Amazon.com in the online retail space. In 2015, Wal-Mart’s e-commerce business generated about $13.7 billion in sales, which is a fraction of the $50.4 billion Amazon.com delivered during that same period.

“We think this has the ability to shift the e-commerce landscape,” Pacific Crest analysts said. “[W]e think that a combination of Wal-Mart’s best-in-class logistics and significant buying power ($482 billion in revenue in 2015) and Jet.com’s high-growth retail model would make the combined business a formidable competitor.”

Almost certainly, this will be a Win-Win for folks such as myself. I have a Wal-Mart supermarket about two miles from my home, and I go by it all the time. All I have to do is just have the items delivered there, and go pick them up. S22

Now, I wonder what BestBuy is getting ready to cook up as competition. Stirthepot
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
Good news for all of us. Competition is always good. I doubt we'll see drones delivering stuff, but who knows? Amazon is good because they have many, many merchandisers connected by their website. Big Box stores like Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and others have buyers who try to buy up the entire line of one product, so no other seller can compete with that same product. What ruined Kmart was the buyers took kickbacks and tried to sell ugly bowling shirts as Women's wear. With the big box stores, you can find all of their products on sale as a loss-leader item at a particular time of the year, in order to attract shoppers and then make money on the stuff note on sale. The sales drive traffic.

Whole different strategy selling online.