Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Archaeology News
After all this time, the folks working at Petra have concluded that there is a huge monument there that needs to be unearthed.

Petra, Jordan: Huge monument found 'hiding in plain sight'

[Image: 3591.jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&f...68b19c1f28]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
That's where Josephus said the fleeing "prominent citizens"( believers who paid attention to Jesus' warnings) were given haven in 70 AD. Looking at the image where they have outlined specific things, that about has to be an ancient temple, you can see the altar in one end if the image is accurate.
It's in plain sight or does it need to be unearthed? One should know...
Well, read the article. You can also do a goggle search for Petra news, and find other articles.

Incidentally, the Treasury Building, which is so famous, is but one of many elaborately carved buildings in the face of the cliffs. There's a bunch of them.

This is my favorite one: Ad Deir (The Monastery)

[Image: img_1689edbl.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
This is a neat find. Ancient folks were mesmerized by the stars cause they believed they were gods:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prehistoric-c...12868.html
[Image: chaussure_0.jpg?itok=2kVMIoKB]
2,000-Year-Old Roman Shoe Found in a Well in Germany
Does not seem to have a separate sole, but it has a well-crafted design. So it likely belonged to someone very wealthy.
My guess is that it was repaired to the point of no longer usable as a pair.   You can see one of the repairs where the little toe would be.  The leather had split.  

As for cost, punching air holes into the leather wouldn't be all that much more than just making the same thing without the ventilation.  I earned a Leather Working merit badge growing up as a scout, and I had no trouble doing those things, especially if one has a template to go by.   S22
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
I woke up this morning
Lucy is not aside...

And here is the reason why: Lucy got nominated for the Darwin Award! Why climbing on trees when the future is bipedism?
(08-29-2016, 05:29 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: I woke up this morning
Lucy is not aside...

And here is the reason why: Lucy got nominated for the Darwin Award! Why climbing on trees when the future is bipedism?

Fred, hominids didn't just suddenly step down from the trees and then never use them again.  It was a gradual process, and the climate probably played a vital part in this.  

Here's what I mean.  I am constantly talking about "Quaternary Science", or also the "Pleistocene"  Both began at pretty much the same time, and are still with us now.  We are still in the middle of an ongoing ice age: the Pleistocene Epoch.  If you look at the top chart on the right at the link, you can see that both the Quaternary and the Pleistocene began at the same time, and both are still going strong.  If you look at the top of the Pleistocene portion, you will see the Holocene imposed on to of it.  That is Pure Bullshit, and what the AGW wackos are trying to show everyone, because they think we are out of the ice age.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  The Holocene is nothing more than just the interglacial period we are currently within.  In graduate school, we were never taught such manure.   The Holocene is nothing more than a brief period of warm climate, just like numerous interglacials before it.

Now, if you look at the next chart, you can see all of the early hominid ancestors.  Lucy is considered a member of Australopithecus hominids, and it is right at the time when the Pleistocene ice age was getting ready to enter the scene.  In other words the world's climate was beginning to change to a savannah .  All of todays African grasslands were forested, and the climate was wetter.  As the climate cooled, it became dryer and trees began to thin out until they were mostly gone.  That is when Lucy lived, and hominids were forced to come out of the trees and use the available land as the Pleistocene took hold.  That is when hominids became truly bipedal.

That's what caused the change.  But at that time hominids were transitioning, and they stilled relied on trees for safety from large predators.  They would have also spent the night in trees, as a security measure.  So it is more than possible she fell out of a tree and was severely injured, and died from the injury.

One other thing, the term Homo Habilis is a relatively new designation, and was the result of Richard Leakey.  When I went through grad school, there was no Homo habilis, and there is really no difference between the two groups.  I consider it just another way to keep adding new groups and getting world wide recognition.  There is still a vigorous debate going on regarding this thing, and many paleontologists still call the two as one.
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
For over a year now I have been hearing about this technology, which is still being developed.  It all began with claims that there may be chambers hidden within King Tut's burial chambers, and possibly Queen Nefertiti is hidden there.  And not to be left alone there, this is filled with controversy.

But here's the latest developments, using different technology.
Two mysterious 'secret chambers' discovered inside Egypt's Great Pyramid using cosmic rays and space particles.

[Image: Pyramid-scan-egypt_0273.jpg]
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
And in the "Waste not, Want not" news, there is this little tidbit from Science: Rodents may have been on the menu in ancient Scotland.

Quote:Ancient villagers on the U.K. archipelago of Orkney likely dined on food items we’d consider luxuries today: venison, oysters, crab, mussels, cod, and … voles? A group of researchers says it’s possible that these resourceful Neolithic people did not turn up their noses when roasted rodent was on the menu. Their finding—based on pits full of singed vole carcasses in the ancient village of Skara Brae (above) unearthed in the late 1970s—would make this the first evidence for rodent-eating in Neolithic Europe, scientists report this week in Royal Society Open Science.
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
This brings to my mind this prophecy in Isaiah:

"Those who sanctify and purify themselves to go into the gardens, following the one in the center, eating the flesh of pigs, vermin, and rodents, shall come to an end together, says the LORD." (Isaiah 66: 17; NRSV)
Sounds like something from Leviticus, which in general, was just a compilation of do's and don'ts that were around for centuries. Laundry lists of things that have been known to cause disease and health problems - until we learned to cook pork thoroughly. Seems to most observers that if God wanted to keep his people healthy he could have mentioned the need to cook foods to get rid of parasites.

I still wonder who was the first to eat lobsters. Someone had to be first, but boyo - he musta really been hungry.
William,

I asked you years ago to substantiate this claim and you declined, any chance you could now?

BTW, why would God need to tell Jews to cook their food? You think humanity hadn't been around a long time before Moses?

Jews are the youngest people group in history, not the oldest. They knew how to wipe their asses and start a fire already.
You need to study historians, not just pop-history. Some historians spout the Progressive line in public - but confirm real history with other historians.

There were many lists of dietary warnings passed down orally for centuries. These lists made the shamans and medicine men authority figures. Many pre-Bible religions contained these lists. I read some historian who claimed some in Leviticus were copied verbatim.
Just for the record, the problem was never with "cooking" of food, but PROPER cooking of that food. And since there are so many humans who love their meat cooked rare, or medium, killing ALL of the little critters is impossible. Consequently, the Old Testament, and other older documents just bent to the baseline and forbade ALL those dangerous foods, including pork.

Hey, its the only way to be sure, right?

--- SCHiST Happens! ---
This is the most perfectly preserved dinosaur ever discovered. It was discovered in 2011, and has taken years to bring out of the rock.

The Amazing Dinosaur Found (Accidentally) by Miners in Canada
Known as a nodosaur, this 110 million-year-old, armored plant-eater is the best preserved fossil of its kind ever found.

[Image: Nodosaur_silo_FLAT_3_IPAD.adapt.590.1.jpg]
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
What's with the backward-reaching horn coming from just above its front leg? What good would it do for the animal? Maybe if an Allosaur grabbed it by the midsection, the Nodosaur could bend and drive the horn through the head of the Allosaur.
If you analyze the animal foods listed as unclean in Leviticus 11, you will find that they all consist of omnivores, scavengers, or carnivores--all of which would tend to concentrate toxins in the environment. The animal foods listed as clean were all herbivores, which would pick up the least contaminants in the environment.

Certainly similar observations could be made in other cultures. There was nothing secret about the distinctions between clean and unclean animals--the Genesis account of the Flood says that it was only unclean animals that went into Noah's Ark by twos--clean animals went into the Ark by sevens. (See Genesis 7:2.) Why seven? Because after the Flood, Noah sacrificed one of each clean animal as a thank offering to God. Leaving three mated pairs each.

It is not merely a matter of cooking the pork well enough to kill all the parasites. They had fire back then, too. Pork is especially problematical because of pigs' tendency to eat anything.

Quote:1) A pig is a real garbage gut. It will eat anything including urine, excrement, dirt, decaying animal flesh, maggots, or decaying vegetables. They will even eat the cancerous growths off other pigs or animals.

2) The meat and fat of a pig absorbs toxins like a sponge. Their meat can be 30 times more toxic than beef or venison.
Link: https://www.quora.com/Is-there-any-authe...for-humans