Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Google Chrome Will No Longer Support Windows XP or Vista
For the past week, Google has been flashing a message at the top of its web browser screen that Google Chrome will soon no longer send updates for Windows XP and Vista, because they have decided to cease supporting them.

OK, Google, you just lost a customer. I switched over to Mozilla Firefox. They let me keep my old bookmarks (favorites) file. I wonder how much Google is getting under the table to try to make users buy new computers or upgrade to newer versions of Windows. I dare say Mozilla is on the side of the consumers/users.
How old is your computer Ron?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I don't remember when I bought it, exactly. It is a PowerSpec, bought at a local store. Device Manager (properties) says the ACPI x86 Computer driver is dated June 21, 2006. The monitor driver is also dated June 21, 2006. The Intel Celeron D CPU 3.46 GHz driver is dated June 21, 2006. Other device drivers are also dated June 21, 2006. So I guess my computer is almost ten years old. But Windows still sends me updates for the Vista operating system. It is possible to upgrade Vista to Windows 7 and still keep most of my other programs and files intact, but they say I would probably lose my email files (I use Windows Email). Vista has always seemed to work well enough for me. I know what to do if it does occasionally freeze up. Once in ten years I actually had to use one of the restore points.
First of all, Vista really does suck, compared to Win7, or WinXP. Seriously. I had it on one of my refurbished computers and replaced it with Win7 immediately.
Also, why are you still using Windows email client? I'm sure there are other great clients out there, but Thunderbird is my choice, even though I am an Opera person. You can always save your email files on the hard drive, or better yet, on a portable SD. I carry one around all the time on my key-chain. Some people actually have their Windows set up on one of them and take it with them everywhere. I try to save everything important on it, and keep exterior hard drives for the purpose of getting everything off my main drive.

My upstairs computer, which I am using right now, has a "C" drive, which is a 500G drive, and it still has 455Gs of empty space. And I like to keep it that way, because I purposefully store almost everything on a separate hard drive, just in case..................... I learned that the hard way. In fact, I am getting ready to buy some SSDs that are 120-250gigs. The prices are coming down quickly. That's all anyone needs for their main drive. Everything else, should be stored on a different drive for safekeeping.

Do you need a copy of Windows 7? I'm slowly moving up to Win10, but really love Win7. Oh, and don't even touch Win8. Its a dog, just like Vista. S5
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

What I have read is that installing Windows 7 may not save all programs and files from Vista, but updating Vista to Windows 7 will--except for email. I use Windows email because I want my email to be saved onto my hard drive, not be saved at the ISP end. If one of those other email services will recover my Windows email files, then I might look into them.

I can see how someone who did not have a background and training as a computer programmer might have a lot of problems with Vista. But so far I have been able to deal with whatever problem I might have with Vista. Like I said before, only once in ten years have I had to reset the computer using a restore point. At least I know how to do it.
(02-03-2016, 11:31 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: What I have read is that installing Windows 7 may not save all programs and files from Vista, but updating Vista to Windows 7 will--except for email. I use Windows email because I want my email to be saved onto my hard drive, not be saved at the ISP end. If one of those other email services will recover my Windows email files, then I might look into them.

I can see how someone who did not have a background and training as a computer programmer might have a lot of problems with Vista. But so far I have been able to deal with whatever problem I might have with Vista. Like I said before, only once in ten years have I had to reset the computer using a restore point. At least I know how to do it.

Thunderbird, and the other ones I know about are also saved to the hard drive. Also, I can save everything to another hard drive. I can import, export, and even publish the information if I wish.

As for the browser, you can save the bookmarks on any drive you choose. I have numerous updates on my SD drive and one of my 4TB Western Digital exterior drive. I'm almost paranoid about the possibility of a crash and accidental wipe.

(02-03-2016, 01:36 PM)John L Wrote: ...I'm almost paranoid about the possibility of a crash and accidental wipe.

If you were really paranoid, you'd have all your equipment inside a Faraday cage.
Still waiting for the terrorists to set off their EMP, huh? Or North Koreans. Or Iranians. (Same difference.) What would it take to transform a house with aluminum siding into a Faraday cage? What would an EMP do to someone with a pacemaker?
(02-03-2016, 06:09 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: ...What would an EMP do to someone with a pacemaker?

Wouldn't be good. An airborne nuke over metropolitan areas would knock it back to the stone age. A very few thinkers have hardened their electronics against EMPs - and could possibly become leaders in reestablishing survival after a catalcysm. John could well be one of those leaders, with his chicken-wired Faraday cages protecting his electronics and his hydroponic food supply.
If you took pains to ground your aluminum siding, would that improve its ability to function as a Faraday cage? You still might need to add a galvanized steel roof. (Then you might want to add asphalt shingles over the galvanized steel to cut down on noise when it rains or hails.) Good news is your riding mower might still work after an EMP, if you keep it in a sheet metal shed. Of course, at that point, keeping your lawn mowed would be the least of your worries!
In that case, there will be no need to worry about the lack of support for your Vista. They'd automatically take care of themselves, correct? S6

All Faraday cages that I have seen are made of wire mesh or perforated sheet metal, with holes smaller than the wavelengths of the electrical radiation. I'm not sure of the similarity with microwave oven doors, but microwaves can penetrate solid metal, and mesh creates an interference which blocks the microwaves. The Russians used Faraday shielding in all their military vehicles and planes, and also used tubes instead of semiconductors. Their main fear was EMP weapons which may have been used by the West. When Reagan launched his strategic defense initiative, it used super-fast semi-conductors stealth technology that would make American tanks and planes invisible to all Russian weapons on the battle field and in the air.

The hawks in Russia were outflanked, and the economic leaders were able to oust them from political power, which led to Glasnost and Perestroika. Many weapons designers have tried to use our technology against us, figuring that our star wars technology is faster and smarter - but not as robust, so EMPs would beat us. Part of the strategic defense initiative was to harden our technology with Faraday cages, but people on the military committees keep telling us we are still vulnerable. Looks to me like the best answer is for public and private users to protect themselves.
Ron, you can do an "export" of all your e-mails. At worse you do a brutal copy paste of all the files storing your e-mails. But I recommand the export function. There is nothing on your hard drive that you can't duplicate.
(02-03-2016, 06:21 PM)WmLambert Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 06:09 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: ...What would an EMP do to someone with a pacemaker?

Wouldn't be good. An airborne nuke over metropolitan areas would knock it back to the stone age. A very few thinkers have hardened their electronics against EMPs - and could possibly become leaders in reestablishing survival after a catalcysm. John could well be one of those leaders, with his chicken-wired Faraday cages protecting his electronics and his hydroponic food supply.

John, the only one left with a workable computer after the apocalypse. LOL. But what would he do as the single user of facebook? "Like" himself? S1
(02-07-2016, 02:36 PM)Fredledingue Wrote:
(02-03-2016, 06:21 PM)WmLambert Wrote:

John, the only one left with a workable computer after the apocalypse. LOL. But what would he do as the single user of facebook? "Like" himself? S1

Actually, I would have several. I keep my older machines, as long as they are working. And I have two laptops, which are turned off when not in use. And too, there is my 10" Nook tablet, which has WiFi and internet capability.

I never buy new machines anymore. I prefer refurbished, or reconditioned, ones. They are much less expensive, and the reconditioned ones are proven already. They all come with up to date OSs and I really don't care about the size of my main hard drive, since I store everything on one or more external drives. My biggest one is a 4TB storage unit, and I am considering a 6TB for my next one, as long as the price is right.

Also, I receive daily mailers from Woot.com, Dealzon.com, and NewEgg.com Deals. So I can pick up some neat sales that are great on the pocketbook. S5

You know, just in case........................ S22

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Google Leveraging With Google Chrome John L 5 1,102 04-06-2012, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Fredledingue
  Google Chrome Apps John L 1 801 12-24-2010, 01:06 PM
Last Post: JohnWho
  Is Windows Vista the New Windows Millenium? John L 47 12,605 07-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Last Post: John L