Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Windows 10
Been using it on an old laptop for a few months. So far I am not impressed. So far I guess that about 90% of my friends agree.

I've told family and customers that there is no need to rush. I'm thinking of October. I do know of people using XP buying dirt cheap W7 machines to lock in the free upgrade then dedicate that machine as a media center.

Am I the only old fart here who was begging to give money away for the next version -at midnight- twenty years ago?

I'm old...
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
They've certainly taken a drubbing over their Nokia investment: Microsoft feels the pain of a failed mobile-phone business
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I am going to download it simply because I fear if I don't, the old platform won't be supported eventually.
I just completed the update to Windows 10, I didn't use Windows Update, I chose the other method. It went rather smoothly, and the update allows you to keep all your files and software.
(08-03-2015, 06:31 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: I just completed the update to Windows 10, I didn't use Windows Update, I chose the other method. It went rather smoothly, and the update allows you to keep all your files and software.

Is there more than one way to update it? I haven't tried anything yet.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

You can update via Windows Update or directly from Microsoft. I chose the latter because I was having a problem with Windows Update, seven attempts to update failed. I've been using Windows 10 for about 8 hours without any difficulties. I upgraded from Windows 7 so there is a bit of a learning curve, those upgrading from Windows 8.1 won't have that problem.
I haven't had a single problem with Windows 10 since taking advantage of the free upgrade yesterday, it's fast and all my software works perfectly.
That's great. Thanks Ronald. S22

Software unique to Toshiba computers was still on my computer and working after the upgrade.
Windows 10 has a really great recover feature, I had to use it this morning because I screw it up installing several Toshiba drivers.
Resetting lets you choose whether to keep your files or remove them, and then reinstalls Windows. To get started, go to Settings > Update & security > Reset this PC .
I'm glad with W10 too. Just mising wondows border. Some complicated tweak is necessary. I like the return of the start menu.
I had to unload W 10 because a specific app I have with videos would not run on 10. I am back to 7 and 8 respectively. Also, my printer would not print and the manufacturer did not have a driver to make it work.
How are you guys responding to the privacy issues associated with the "free upgrade" version? Apparently the 'feedback' features aren't supposed to be included in the "for sale" versions. I haven't done squat with it yet ... mostly because the stuff in the article makes my skin crawl. My read is that you give them permission to turn on your mike and listen in, copy your files, log your keystrokes, etc ... even turn on your camera to see what's going on. No thanks. You get what you pay for.

... if there are effective ways to shut this stuff down or effectively opt out I'd be interested in hearing about it. It could be as simple as un-checking a box, but I'd doubt MS would allow you to do that for their free download "feedback version".
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
I haven't tried it either Jack. I'm still completely satisfied with Win7 at this time.

Plus, I prefer the bugs get worked out before diving in.

After Windows 10 was reinstalled it left a file on my desktop showing which programs were uninstalled along with a link to the company's website so I can re-installed them.
Palladin Wrote:I had to unload W 10 because a specific app I have with videos
Which video app is it? No new version? Why don't you try another free video app?
But I understand that when you find a software that you like very much and is very easy to use for you, it's difficult to find something similar.
I stayed almost 20 years with the same image editor (it was quite a primitive one but realy easy to use). Then it was a real pain to find a similar program. Never found one as good as the one I had, for the use I had. Finaly I installed Gimp...

Palladin Wrote:Also, my printer would not print
Yes, this is a more boring problem because here you have something that you need to buy if you want to replace it. Had the same problem with an old scanner.

There is a problem with W10 and some softwares and drivers...

Mr Yak Wrote:How are you guys responding to the privacy issues associated with the "free upgrade" version?
"Privacy issues"... Oh realy? Oh my God! S2

... No I didn't noticed anything. And I don't care, to be honnest. What? They can spy on what I write on AI-Jane, it's public anyway...
If you worry about that, then stop using electronic devices (or even electric ones to be on the safe side).
(10-13-2015, 03:49 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: ... No I didn't noticed anything. And I don't care, to be honnest. What? They can spy on what I write on AI-Jane, it's public anyway...
If you worry about that, then stop using electronic devices (or even electric ones to be on the safe side).

Apparently you don't do much electronic banking. It's not meant for you to 'notice' fred, that would be 'intrusive'. Instead you've granted them the right to copy and upload your files, record your key presses, listen to your speech ... intended so they can "enhance your experience" ... as in you lament "wow, my ass really hurts today!" ... then you get instant popups for Preparation H and Tucks Pads, or turn on your camera to see what color your walls are painted ... so perhaps they can recommend a decorator? No harm, no foul ... right?
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Windows 10 keylogger can be turned off.
I'v been on W10 for over a month and didn't notice anything. IMO all these datas beeing collected is treated automaticaly. No real human is looking into them unless you are a listed terrorist or somebody famous.
(10-13-2015, 11:38 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: Windows 10 keylogger can be turned off.

Is this for the free or the purchased version? Also, can the the file downloading, voice recording, etc... be disabled as well?

... OK, sorry I read the article, it looks like you can turn off keylogging and voice recording ... although it looks like it references the paid version. I didn't see anything about their ability to upload your files ... and I'm not really interested in reading all 17,000 words of the user agreement.

fred Wrote:IMO all these datas beeing collected is treated automaticaly. No real human is looking into them unless you are a listed terrorist or somebody famous.

Of course it's being mined 'automatically' ... so is the stuff that NSA collects. Do you really suppose they have an individual assigned to every individual's electronic data?? ... that would involve cloning hundreds of millions of NSA agents and Microsoft employees ... Shock Which would be nuts ... if not unfeasable. At it's most innocent, it's like cookies on steroids that can hear you discuss your close relative's addiction problems in your living room ... and then conveniently sends you an email for subscribing treatment programs. Are you really all that cool with that??'
-- Henry Mencken

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is Windows Vista the New Windows Millenium? John L 47 12,369 07-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Last Post: John L