Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robots to replace Migrant farm Workers?
Robots?

Maybe a solution to one immigration violation? The valid point is that the farmers could see a profit from robotic picking and weeding that would counter the claim that big business requires illegals to make money.

BTW: this could've gone in 3 different topics.
George Friedman claimed this in his book, "The Next 100 Years", but that it wouldn't begin in earnest until decades in the future - the 2060s.
Actually robots began in earnest a good while ago. Production lines use robots like crazy. All one has to do is just look at the automobile industry.

[Image: AdvancedTech-Cobots.png]

Just think of all the jobs they replaced over time. But in the future, they will be replacing and transforming obsolete industries like crazy.

Let's do a comparison with the events leading up to the Civil War. The one single invention that fortified slavery was the invention of the cotton gin, by Eli Whitney. This opened up tremendous demand for cotton produced goods. But unfortunately, the machines that automatically planted cotton plants, and also harvested cotton, hadn't been developed. Had they too been invented before 1861, or before the cotton gin, the question of slavery, and the following war, would never have occurred. Slavery would have become economically obsolete.

It was one of the opening salvos of the coming industrial revolution, and the almost total displacement of the small, family farm, forcing millions to go to the city seeking work. It has been stated that by the next fifteen years, half of all jobs will be eliminated by machines. If we cannot find a way to smoothly transition, we will be faced with yet one more Progressive heyday, that may be even worse than the one that began in the late 19th century.

That's just a warning.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hillary Clinton Is Like Herpes, "She Wont Go Away" - Anna Paulina
I look forward to robots or AIs replacing mainstream media journalists.
(08-22-2015, 04:36 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: I look forward to robots or AIs replacing mainstream media journalists.

Ron, that would be nice, but somehow I doubt it. S18
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
What would be worse? Leftwing media types, or left wing computer geeks programming robot media?
Just for clarification,

are those robots in the country legally?

Or are they here only so their off-spring will be born here?

S9
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
(08-23-2015, 10:08 AM)JohnWho Wrote: Just for clarification,

are those robots in the country legally?

Or are they here only so their off-spring will be born here?

S9

I was thinking the very same thing JW. S13
(08-22-2015, 04:36 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: I look forward to robots or AIs replacing mainstream media journalists.

It's already begun (sort of) in academia.

The really hilarious thing is that these journals that are supposed to rely on "peer review" are reportedly relying on counter measures programs to identify bogus SciGen papers ... as opposed to having a qualified reviewer simply read them to identify the gibberish the "old fashioned" way.

These were scientific papers submitted to IEEE and Nature who apparently have a hard time identifying garbage. Imagine how easy if would be to have a machine fabricate the news ... instead of relying on guys like Dan Rather for the same task.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
It would also be nice to have robots or AIs replace umpires in the routine calling of balls and strikes.
(08-23-2015, 01:25 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: It would also be nice to have robots or AIs replace umpires in the routine calling of balls and strikes.

They're already being used for "quality control" ....
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
the study shows the calls are off 15% of the time, which doesn't tell the important part of the story. Catchers are graded on their ability to "Frame" a bad pitch and get a favorable call. What bothers me, having been a catcher, is that if one team gets more favorable calls than the other team, then the umpire is controlling who wins or loses. I watched a game a few days ago, where the strike-tracker was used quite a lot by the commentators, and the same umpire was calling pitches six inches off the plate as strikes for one team, but not for the other team. Framing can't do that so consistently. If an umpire doesn't call the same strike-zone for both teams, he doesn't deserve his salary.

It has always been that the best hitters are given more shadow of a doubt than others. Part is human nature. They are so good, partly because they have a discriminating eye that knows good from bad, that umpires tend to give them the close call. It was always known that great hitters like Ted Williams or Miguel Cabrera would seldom get called out on strikes. Another part is also human nature. The umpires know the game is more exciting and pleasing for the fans if the good hitters get a chance to hit. (Except for Yogi Berra, who was famous for swinging at bad pitches and hitting them anyway.)

Instead of strike-trackers replacing the umpire completely, I'd love to see a holographic display at the edges of the strike zone to help the umpire. It is hard to always be accurate. Umps are as susceptible to being fooled by curves and breaking pitches as anyone, and having something like that can help the pitchers and batters as much as the umpires.
Next stop, robot athletes. What a great idea. Just like in SciFi stories. No need to worry about people sustaining serious injury either. All sorts of possibilities here. S22
(08-23-2015, 03:56 PM)John L Wrote: Next stop, robot athletes...

Seriously, automated sports is not what anyone really wants, because you'd end up with nerdish programmers competing against other nerdish programmers. We have that now with BattleBots.

Robots will enever replace migrants: Migrants will keep on coming anyway.
(08-24-2015, 03:50 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Robots will enever replace migrants: Migrants will keep on coming anyway.

Incorrect! Technology moves on, and stoop labor was never economical. That is one reason slave labor in the South was on the way out even before the Civil War. The Cotton Gin brought ease to part of the Cotton picking process, but also made the price for it harder to justify. You don't need 100% robotic replacements for stoop labor, but you can build simple machines and tools to obviate the need for it. Even apple pickers can use a simple extension pole with a small net on a hoop at the end to do away with ladders.

If one person can now do the job of five stoop laborers, and get paid twice what each used to earn, that is a huge salary increase and far greater reduction in numbers needed. Some may argue that Buggy Whip makers or Railroad fire stokers need government subsidies to keep their old outmoded jobs, but that is hooey. I thank God that computers overcame the need for keylining. I've got some Xacto blades and gallons of Rubber cement that haven't been used since the eighties.

The thing is, that capital investment is necessary to make manual labor economical. Some jobs will always need the human eye to assess and select what to do - but doing it is made easier every day... and someone needs to design and manufacture those new tools.
(08-24-2015, 03:50 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: Robots will enever replace migrants: Migrants will keep on coming anyway.

They won't get far once they've encountered Robo Border Patrol. Think along the lines of Dudge Dredd ... only with a much less charming disposition.
-- Henry Mencken
I hope one of the candidates use some of the points made by numerous radio hosts. The Mexican Constitution says that any baby born anywhere on Earth by Mexican parents is Mexican. Period.
They won't put robots to stop migrants because (so far) there is a net financial benefit for the governement.
According to a very serious european organisation, each migrant would bring €3500 per year (link in french) to the governement coffers. I asked on facebook that if the governement earn that money, what do we, poeple, get from this?

Now if you want to know how I feel, just imagine that all the Mixicanos who are crossing into the US are muslims...
(08-28-2015, 05:08 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: They won't put robots to stop migrants because (so far) there is a net financial benefit for the government...
That's in the near future only. It will take a while for technology to infiltrate and replace most stoop labor, but it will come. But stoop labor is not the draw that makes illegals come across our borders. Once here they will look for work, but it is the hope of free money for no work at all that draws the whole family.