Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Global cooling, er, I mean warming, er, wait...PT. 2
Global cooling, er, I mean warming, er, wait... to be continued. S22
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
Yeah, that other thread was getting too warm, er, I mean cool, er, wait...

S9
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Here's a certified tree hugger, who is going to live on an iceberg for a year, just to highlight the danger of...........you guessed it. But I suspect the only real danger will be to himself, since he is obviously lacking enough gray matter.

Man to live on melting iceberg for one year to urge climate change action

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
It doesn't prove a darn thing!

There have been times earlier in the interglacial period that the Arctic has far less summer ice,even at times NO ice at all. Now we have a much larger summer ice cap NOW than the majority of the time in the Interglacial period.

Here is an interesting hypothesis that might at least in part explains what is going on in the polar regions and why we have those D/O 1,500 year cycles,during the interglacial period.

LINK

The Long version is available that shed more information over what the Short version already does.
(08-24-2014, 04:57 PM)sunsettommy Wrote: It doesn't prove a darn thing!

There have been times earlier in the interglacial period that the Arctic has far less summer ice,even at times NO ice at all. Now we have a much larger summer ice cap NOW than the majority of the time in the Interglacial period.

Here is an interesting hypothesis that might at least in part explains what is going on in the polar regions and why we have those D/O 1,500 year cycles,during the interglacial period.

LINK

The Long version is available that shed more information over what the Short version already does.

Of course it doesn't prove a 'darn thing'. S13

Perhaps you might tell him before he starts out on this crazy quest. S6

I think it would be loads of run to see him waste so much of his valuable time. Of course, he may also be out to make a name for himself, regardless the association.
Have a Gneiss Day!
http://jennifermarohasy.com/2014/08/heat...e-records/

I've been talking about this for years.
Beach
(09-02-2014, 10:11 PM)SFX Wrote: http://jennifermarohasy.com/2014/08/heat...e-records/

I've been talking about this for years.

Is that an Aussie sort of thing, or universal?
Have a Gneiss Day!
The US situation is much worse. Can't speak for England, those fuckers are really tight with sharing data. But from the comments in the emails, it's pretty obvious they are doing the same shit.

Excuse my foul mouth, but it pisses me off something fierce. You can't do actual science if somebody is feeding you garbage data.
Beach
That's why one should visit Junk Science every so often. Knowing there are others who marvel at the need for bureaucrats to interfere with science makes seeing it less painful.
I'm ready to file a lawsuit against a couple of Berkeley researchers. And that's just the opening salvo.
Beach
(09-09-2014, 02:50 PM)SFX Wrote: I'm ready to file a lawsuit against a couple of Berkeley researchers. And that's just the opening salvo.

Against who, and what charge?
Have a Gneiss Day!
It's complicated, but it would be for scientific malfeasance. Of course, who the hell judges science?
Beach
(09-09-2014, 06:53 PM)SFX Wrote: It's complicated, but it would be for scientific malfeasance. Of course, who the hell judges science?

In the long run,.............science itself. The data must ultimately be verifiable, or it will fall by the wayside. That is why the Kooks are beating the drums so hard, while people are still listening. Its also why we are getting the "hot is cold, cold is hot" scenerio, etc, etc, etc. Its pretty much all they have anymore.
Have a Gneiss Day!
(09-09-2014, 07:44 PM)John L Wrote: In the long run,.............science itself. The data must ultimately be verifiable, or it will fall by the wayside. That is why the Kooks are beating the drums so hard, while people are still listening. Its also why we are getting the "hot is cold, cold is hot" scenerio, etc, etc, etc. Its pretty much all they have anymore.

Sometimes ... in the long run ... a concept has to crash and burn in spectacular fashion to completely lose relevance and credibility. In the late 19th and early 20th century, Eugenics was the Global Warming of the era. Scientists, Politicians, Celebrities, Socialites ... everybody who was anybody endorsed it. It was going to save humanity, purify and enhance humanity ... make humanity 'perfect'. Most people were appalled and disavowed it after seeing footage of the 'successful' implementation of the Third Reich ... there were 'projects' nearly every state in the U.S. ... peaking in the 20s and 30s ... but forced sterilizations persisted in many places even after WWII ... Oregon still had an active Eugenics board until the mid 1980s. Huxley managed to clue in a fair number people with Brave New World in 1931 ... but humanity at large are slow learners. The really frightening part is that, like collectivism, really bad ideas manage to reinvent themselves ... the technology has advanced by light years ... eugenics will be likely resurrected ... it will start with picking your child's eye color ... or sex ... and it will end very badly.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Yak,

You're right and I wish you weren't.
Actually SFX's question was a bit loaded Jack. I think what is going on here, as with 'Eugenics' is the application of Pseudo-Science, or Junk Science. So in reality, we really are stuck with two parts of this equation: the real science, and the moral issues.

When I think of badly applied science, I tend to think of Piltdown Man first, being an anthropologist. Once it was proven that the crainum and the mandible were not from the same creatures, the hoax quickly fell apart. But it took several decades to be discovered.

This global warming fraud is also just that; a fraud, and real science will eventually prove it wrong. But unfortunately not before the fraud has extracted billions of fraudulent dollars.

As for the 'Eugenics' thing, morally it was beyond the pale. But the idea of future genetic engineering is not going to go away. And again, that is where the morality issue will be raised. As you know, I am a huge "conquest of space" person, and I also know that certain genetic manipulations would greatly assist humans to cut down on some of the dangers of such things as 'vacuum' and ' intense solar radiation'. If it is possible to give humans a 'leg up' on those two issues alone, then genetic engineering would also pass the morality test, because it would save lives. If human parts exposed to the two above mentioned issues could be made so as to slow down cellular decompression, or irradiation, then being exposed to outer space would not be an almost instant death sentence.

Anyway, I still believe that science will, in the long run, almost always defeat junk science. But like Winston Churchill once stated about a lie getting half way around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on, he was on to something profound. S5
Have a Gneiss Day!
Seems like splitting hairs John. In one case ... lying about data to usurp science toward a political end. In the other using scientific methods toward morally reprehensible goals. Lying ... to pad people like Al Gore's pockets ... manufacturing poverty and privation ... vs murdering or sterilizing masses of people under the guise of science to create a 'purer' race? Both at least peripherally involve usurping 'science' ... I really don't see a dichotomy. Bad ideas are bad ideas. I'll give you the fact that genocide isn't exactly "junk science" ... when you kill off a blood line it's really gone.

Anyway, it was just an example John. Eugenics was all the rage until people saw what it was really about ... and then they disavowed it ... changed the subject ... 'forgot' they supported it ... pretended it never happened ... or at least they had the luxury of mostly 'forgetting' what was done in this country. If global temperatures decline to anywhere near the historical "bad times" ... the simple rhetorical switch from "global warming" to "climate change" isn't going to cut it. Most will simply forget and avoid the subject ... but true believers, profiteers and other 'salesmen'? ... like Gore? It will stick to his skin like hardened shit ... pretty much forever ... a new version of Dr. Josef Mengele ... I believe he fancied himself a 'scientist'.

If you have read the book or see the movie Unbroken ... at one point the 'authorities' were considering institutionalizing Louis Zamperini and cutting his balls off because he was a delinquent (or at least his family feared it). That was the essence of American Eugenics ... but it 'seemed' like a good idea at the time. Zamperini's fellow veterans from WWII were treated to lobotomies and electroshock therapy to treat PTSD ... also 'seemed' like a good idea at the time with widespread support among the 'science' community. 'Reliable' panaceas have a long history of becoming disasters.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Ha, anytime humans play God, bad stuff happens. Good intentions don't mean anything.
On the Global Cooling front ... first snow of the season is predicted here tomorrow a.m. ... my garden is officially screwed. S4

... managed to get four potted pepper plants into the garage ... covered a few of the tomato plants. The rest is probably toast ... or in this case ... a frozen pop-tart.
-- Henry Mencken
(09-11-2014, 10:45 PM)mr_yak Wrote: On the Global Cooling front ... first snow of the season is predicted here tomorrow a.m. ... my garden is officially screwed. S4

... managed to get four potted pepper plants into the garage ... covered a few of the tomato plants. The rest is probably toast ... or in this case ... a frozen pop-tart.

Not sure how big your garden is. But the snow is really not the main problem. In fact, snow is an insulator against cold, I mean really cold. I've been lazy in posting on the coming cold this winter, and will post on it on the other thread.

Is there any way you can cover everything with a huge sheet of plastic? Lowes and Home Depot sells those sheets at a reasonable price. If you cover the garden completely, the plastic will trap the heat underneath and keep it warmer than the surrounding property.

Just a thought. But here's another thought. Have you considered building a greenhouse that is practical and economical? Do you live in a neighborhood with restrictions? And are you going to continue planting gardens after this?

Also, have you considered PMing The Buzz and getting his well-informed, pro-Big Government, solutions to all this warming? He still signs in and hovers around, in spite of his being relegated to the Sand Box. I'll bet he has all sorts of recommendations.
Have a Gneiss Day!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Disaster Addiction And Global Warming John L 45 6,442 06-08-2019, 01:11 PM
Last Post: John L
  Positive News about Global Warming. John L 78 28,129 05-17-2015, 09:55 AM
Last Post: JohnWho
  Why Global Warming Isn't Consistant Buzz 39 23,479 10-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SFX
  Global cooling, er, I mean warming, er, wait... Lisa 1,668 667,011 08-23-2014, 06:13 PM
  Global Warming Nazis John L 134 51,405 07-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Paul In Sweden
  Science Fraud And Con Men: Diederik Stapel and Global Warming John L 0 1,549 04-30-2013, 08:58 PM
  Global Warming Debate, Split From ANWR Drilling Thread Matrix 113 47,189 12-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Last Post: sunsettommy
  Death By Global Warming John L 12 8,623 01-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Last Post: jt
  global warming to cause an extraterrestial attack mv 10 6,010 08-20-2011, 03:06 PM
  Catholic church warns of global warming quadrat 9 5,822 05-22-2011, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Palladin