Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biblical Mysteries Explained
I've watched this three part series off and on for a while now. And I think I mentioned it somewhere, but can't remember where. What is interesting here is that there is a better wedding of science and ancient text that tend to show a positive relationship to each. It pretty much goes along with my interpretation of why, and how, real events were used as cautionary tales to teach moral and religious lessons.

The oldest one, the Sodom and Gomorrah tale, was of particular interest to me, because it clearly deals with the occurrence of an asteroid explosion within the atmosphere.

The Second in the series is that of Moses' Exodus. And here too, all of the biblical descriptions have a logical explanation, based on actual possibilities. The only thing is that the possibility of all these thing occurring at once are quite improbable.

Like the Sodom and Gomorrah story, this cautionary tale would have been written later, and the actual event would be highlighted with many different occurrences that could have happened at different times.

The the last in the series deals with the many lost gospels that were purposefully excluded at the original Council of Nicaea in 325AD. As more of them are discovered, science is trying to relate them to the ones accepted into the bible, and why some were included and most others were not. I found this intriguing, to say the least.

Overall a great series that shows just how accurate the bible is, in a general sense, even if much was added to the stories in order to turn events into a moral lesson.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

This guy thinks it was a comet, not an asteroid.

Was Sodom and Gomorrah Wiped Out by a Comet?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

John,

I watched a documentary once on the Exodus and believe it or not, lots of the "plagues" make perfectly good logic in those days and follow one upon another.

For example, "water into blood" is a phenomenon observed recently in Cameroon
(http://www.neatorama.com/2007/05/21/the-...ry/#!CQQ7k).

it was a massive leak of CO2 into a lake that caused the iron to turn the water red, which in turn naturally would kill every frog in the lake, which in turn would create a massive, abnormal lice and/or fly explosion carrying diseases that could kill livestock and on and on to the point that the CO2 laying low to the ground would have killed the first born and not older folks as the Egyptian son slept on the floors next to their father's.

It all seemingly followed each previous plague as a natural occurrence.
(04-05-2014, 11:34 AM)Palladin Wrote: John,

I watched a documentary once on the Exodus and believe it or not, lots of the "plagues" make perfectly good logic in those days and follow one upon another.

For example, "water into blood" is a phenomenon observed recently in Cameroon
(http://www.neatorama.com/2007/05/21/the-...ry/#!CQQ7k).

it was a massive leak of CO2 into a lake that caused the iron to turn the water red, which in turn naturally would kill every frog in the lake, which in turn would create a massive, abnormal lice and/or fly explosion carrying diseases that could kill livestock and on and on to the point that the CO2 laying low to the ground would have killed the first born and not older folks as the Egyptian son slept on the floors next to their father's.

It all seemingly followed each previous plague as a natural occurrence.

I have no problem with the many different plagues mentioned in the bible. They almost certainly had one or more occurrences in ancient times. But only the micro-managing of a Creator would line them all up, one after another. I just find this hard to put down as accurate.

The generalized story is most likely accurate, but not the tiny little details, which were written in hindsight. Consequently they were able to do some creative editing, just as with the Noah's Flood story, which was clearly copied from the Gilgamesh tales. Gilgamesh was put down in writing far earlier than the bible being written.

Patrick, did you watch the video on Sodom and Gomorrah interpretation?

All this playing fast and loose with historical facts vs. the Bible accounts ignores the documented accuracy of the Bible in every single historical fact it has claimed that has been verified. Skeptics used to claim that the "Hittites" mentioned in the Bible never existed--then archaeological evidence was found confirming that they did exist. Skeptics used to claim that King Nebuchadnezzer never built Babylon, then archaeologists found all these tiles from the walls of Babylon that had Nebuchadnezar's name inscribed on them. The Egyptian historian Manetho, whose chronology skeptics have favored over the Bible chronology, has been proven to be a propagandizing liar, claiming hundreds of years for the reigns of some of the earlier Pharoahs. The Bible has always been shown to give perfectly accurate accounts, even when those accounts are embarassing to those who are supposed to be the faithful. Nor are the patriarchs presented as flawless super heroes--their mistakes (such as the polygamy of Abraham) and their consequences are shown honestly. Even King David is shown to be a man who sinned with Bathsheba and arranged to have her husband killed so David could claim her, and though he later admitted his sin and apparently give evidence of genuine repentance, still suffered the consequences for years later in the dysfunction of his family--where one son raped his sister, another son murdered that son, and yet another son staged a coup and tried to overthrow King David. Where else can scholars find any source of historical information that is so reliable in every case where it has been tested? When it comes to the study of history, we are largely dependent upon the rules of evidence and the assessment of the reliability of witnesses that are intrinsic to a count of law. Until someone invents a timescan device so we can see what actually happened, we must continue to base our conclusions about the past upon the Source that has proven most reliable. Moreover, when such a Source is proven to be entirely accurate in its predictions for the entire future of the planet, this attests to the Divine influence in its composition and preservation.
So, I assume you are not going to be watching any of the videos, correct? S22

(04-05-2014, 05:44 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: The Egyptian historian Manetho, whose chronology skeptics have favored over the Bible chronology, has been proven to be a propagandizing liar, claiming hundreds of years for the reigns of some of the earlier Pharoahs.

You are being too harsh on Manetho here.

Firstly, we don't even know what he claimed, we have no originals, only quotes.

Secondly, he is not inconsistent with the Biblical sources.

Quote: Now, if you care to compare these figures with Hebrew chronology, you will find that they are in perfect harmony. Egypt is called Mestraïm9 by the Hebrews; and Mestraïm lived <not> long after the Flood. For after the Flood, Cham (or Ham), son of Noah, begat Aegyptus or Mestraïm, who was the first to set out to establish himself in Egypt, at the time when the tribes began to disperse this way and that. Now the whole time from Adam to the Flood was, according to the Hebrews, 2242 years.

http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Ro...pt/1*.html
Sodomia delenda est

John,

Yes, I watched it and it tends to "fit" for me. I wouldn't be surprised at all if that wasn't what occurred.

Concerning "the flood". There may be older versions than Gilgamesh's. There are 2 biblical "weirdo" things even over here(the Americas) from ancient days.

A flood of epic proportions and giants in common with the bible narrative. I don't think it makes sense that we all dreamed those ideas up for either mythical or metaphorical causes. I think they are reality(like the "Noah's flood" book you sent me explains) and we all have our varying explanations for them.

For example, everyone BUT the ancient Jews had the giants as "super heroic"(Gilgamesh is a perfect example, he was a giant). The Jews have giants as super "disgusting" opponents of God.