Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Science News
First up to bat is this one: James Delingpole is no longer working for the UK Telegraph.He is now heading up Breitbart UK, where he is being paid more. S5

Anthony Watts has The Inside Scoop on all this.

Quote:I asked James directly, and in a nutshell it was three things.

1. They paid him poorly, ’nuff said.

2. They never seemed to appreciate the kind of traffic and exposure he’d brought. Remember, Delingpole was the first MSM columnist to break Climategate, and I’m pleased to say he got the scoop from WUWT. But, they didn’t really recognize the asset, even though he won an award for his Climategate coverage. When Delingpole’s column won the Bloggie award for “Best Weblog About Politics“, they didn’t even mention it in the print edition or in the online main page. Usually when a columnist or writer wins such an award, the paper crows about it.

3. Often, they didn’t like the content. As we know, James skewers the left and in particular greens. He reports he was getting increasing pressure over his environmental essays.

Usually when people are the most angry at someone for something they’ve said or written, it’s because what they’ve said or written has some truth in it. While Delingpole pulled no punches when it came to describing (with great flourish) the defective nature of some aspects of the environmental movement, some ‘proper’ folks found it hard to stomach.

And here's his very first article for Breitbart: 10 LEFTY LIES ABOUT THE FLOODS WHICH HAVE DEVASTATED BRITAIN.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
Fake science S13
Sodomia delenda est

(02-25-2014, 11:18 AM)mv Wrote: Fake science S13

The simple fact is that its the college standard system(think grades) that is leading to this general decay.

Declining College Standards: It's Not the Courses, It's the Grades.

Grade Inflation: It's Not Just an Issue for the Ivy League

Higher education: Not what it used to be

This is a constantly ongoing debate I keep having with some of my business associates. Its about quality, and why I go out of my way to be proud of my work. And it shows too. And the reason why is that I demand more of myself, and others, than others do.

The point is that if everyone fails to demand the very best from everyone, everyone will slowly produce ever declining results. And that is what is happening to science today and shoddy standards. And it all hinges with the beginning of the academic trail. Grades mean almost nothing worth hard work, so why work hard once those grades have been awarded?

This global warming fraud is a classic example of junk science, passed off to be the real deal. And just look at The Buzz. He actually believes this.....this......stuff, because it fits in with all this utopian heaven-on-earth thinking, and was never really required to posses a healthy sense of skepticism for everything.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Have a Gneiss Day!
And how many people still believe anything that scientists tell us--supposing that because they are scientists, they would never lie? What ever happened to the contention that scientists are zealous about seeking the truth, and welcome any evidence that contradicts some popularly-held theory? Aren't scientists supposed to be above everyone else, some kind of more highly evolved human being, who can always be relied on to deal with facts, only facts?
Junk science, or bad science, has been around for a long time. However, the official watering down of academic standards is recent, and can only lead to an even worse condition.
Have a Gneiss Day!
(02-25-2014, 12:53 PM)Ron Lambert Wrote: And how many people still believe anything that scientists tell us--supposing that because they are scientists, they would never lie?

New religion here. Lots of people believe anything their imam tells them too.
Sodomia delenda est

That's it, MV! Michael Mann is the "Imam of Global Warming"!
Hanson is an Imam, Mann is a Zealot.

The problem is that the educational system indoctrinates young with the belief in science.... rather similar to church-run schools back in the middle ages or madrassahs today.
Sodomia delenda est

Here is some good news for reducing dependency on oil.

This Car Runs On Air And Could Get An Astonishing 117 Miles Per Gallon
"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

(02-27-2014, 11:17 PM)Grizzly Wrote: Here is some good news for reducing dependency on oil.

This Car Runs On Air And Could Get An Astonishing 117 Miles Per Gallon

Yeah, let 's see a cost/benefit analysis. Looks to me that running that engine with all those computers is going to cost a whole hell of a lot. I guess Google & Facebook founders can park this new Peugeot when available next to their McLaren, Porsche, Bentley, Lamborghini & Ferrari vehicles but the cost of running on air is too expensive for most of us.
Must remember the Coefficient of Efficiency here. How much output will this automobile achieve, vs the input. The higher the coefficient the better. In other words, how much energy/cost goes into pumping that air container, so it can poot(pardon the pun) around town?

Don't get me wrong, I am always interested in developing technological possibilities. But it will have to make itself economically viable, and not have hundreds of millions of uninflated dollars thrown around by MacDaddy, or successors.
Have a Gneiss Day!
[Image: 6a00d8341bf67c53ef01a511779ab2970c-500wi]
This is pure madness as safety is concerned.
Hit a bump on the road, pierce the air tank and you car takes off. With an super-light model, you can find yourself on the roof.

+ I don't believe compressed air can be used more than 5 minutes at slow speed. Whoever has worked with compressed air tools would agree.
(03-01-2014, 06:03 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: [Image: 6a00d8341bf67c53ef01a511779ab2970c-500wi]

Yeah the compressed air tank naturally should be adjacent to the exhaust system. Gah
(02-25-2014, 12:56 PM)John L Wrote: Junk science, or bad science, has been around for a long time. However, the official watering down of academic standards is recent, and can only lead to an even worse condition.

Au contraire, mon ami. Junk science even has its own website: Junk Science. But academic standards have been watered down since John Dewey set up the Federal system of education. His own writings are based on his ultimate philosophy, that relativism denies absolutes. You don't need to teach root languages, like Greek or Latin, because a factory worker doesn't need to reason out his life - only to follow preachments by his betters, and follow the thoughts which the elites espouse.
(03-01-2014, 11:12 PM)WmLambert Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 12:56 PM)John L Wrote: Junk science, or bad science, has been around for a long time. However, the official watering down of academic standards is recent, and can only lead to an even worse condition.

Au contraire, mon ami. Junk science even has its own website: Junk Science. But academic standards have been watered down since John Dewey set up the Federal system of education. His own writings are based on his ultimate philosophy, that relativism denies absolutes. You don't need to teach root languages, like Greek or Latin, because a factory worker doesn't need to reason out his life - only to follow preachments by his betters, and follow the thoughts which the elites espouse.

Hail Mary - Time Out - Flag on The Field | I am looking for a reference. It is in the back of my mind but I can pull no words from it. Banghead

One of you fine men perhaps know the event I am straining to remember. There was a student revolt in which the students, so dissatisfied with their instructors killed, tarred and feathered, stoned or defenestrated them. It could have been Greece BC but for some reason I am thinking Prussia, Austria or France during the Renaissance.

Does this student revolt regarding academic standards that I am trying to recall ring a bell with any of you?
Only vaguely. There used to be all sorts of student rebellions during the middle ages, and mostly in Italy. Is that what you are referring to?
Have a Gneiss Day!
(03-01-2014, 06:03 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: [Image: 6a00d8341bf67c53ef01a511779ab2970c-500wi]
Hit a bump on the road, pierce the air tank and you car takes off. With an super-light model, you can find yourself on the roof.

+ I don't believe compressed air can be used more than 5 minutes at slow speed. Whoever has worked with compressed air tools would agree.

Fist and foremost, Fred, how would all that built up air pressure be dangerous to you while you're actively using it? (45% Urban Driving and you're worried about how much air pressure is in the storage tank? How come you're not that worried with gasoline tanks; there is probably more danger with the gas tank than what you're looking at.) Secondly, the tank you're showing in your picture is a low pressure tank.

[Image: infographics-HybridAir-low-resolution.jpg] LINK
"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

I have to say, it's a novel approach. If it works, and works economically, I'm all for it. But if it requires more government subsidy, I'm not. I don't want government to be paying out anything that cannot make it on its own.
Have a Gneiss Day!
Grizzly,
If the tank is full, and breaks sudenly, the sudden air jet could propel the car upward, dangerousely destabilizing the vehicle, perhaps toppling it.
I can't imagine a system intended to fuel a car with only a small amount of compressed air, so the air power in the tank must be enough to cause a crash if there is a hole in it.

Now the technology is perhaps economical. But you have to keep in mind that air itself is not a propellant, only when it's compressed. And to compress air you need energy.
IMO their energy saving claims are exagerated.

JohnL
Too late. The article already said that the (french) governement was involved...
This conversation reminds me of the 'new innovation at UK gyms'. Gah So on powered treadmills they have installed alternators which feed back power into the gym's newly installed battery system. The idea is that people excising can see how much 'energy' they are producing and feeding back into the gym's facilities. BUT!!!! if you turn the powered freaking treadmills on with no people standing on them they are going to do the same freaking thing!!! Gah

Daily Mail Online 24/09/2013 Wrote:A British gym has become the first in the world to harness the energy of its users to generate its own electricity.Bikes, cross trainers and 'vario' machines at Cadbury House in Congresbury, near Bristol will each feed around 100w per hour back into the building's power supply.The new treadmills will also use 30 per cent less electricity and generate enough energy to power their own information screens.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth Science & Geology News John L 107 47,049 12-29-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: John L
  Best and Worst Science News sites John L 4 1,328 09-10-2017, 02:14 AM
Last Post: sunsettommy