Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing Christianity to Islam
Here is an interesting Real Life example of how Islam thinks, versus how Christianity does.  And the question is, would Christian parents expect this of their children?

Afghanistan girl wearing suicide vest detained

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

And here is yet one more great example of being careful of what you may wish for, as shown on the MiddleEast Meltdown thread, where the comparison between Sadaam and the current situation, once we have intervened without considering the outcome.

Libyan Government Basing New Constitution on Shariah, Targeting Christians

This is a perfect example of why we really should mind our own business, and keep our noses out of others, by not listening to the likes of McDoofus and The Goober.

Quote:The Libyan General National Congress stated, "Islamic law is the source of legislation in Libya. All state institutions need to comply with this." This is a change from the policy under former Libyan dictator Muammar Qaddafi, who allowed Libya's 300,000 Coptic Christians, 5% of its population, to openly practice their faith.

Reports assert that a special committee is examining current laws to make sure they comply with Shariah. Patrick Sookhdeo, international director for human rights group The Barnabus Fund, told FoxNews.com, "Christians and others in the Middle East have every right to want a free, autocratic society. NATO went to war in Libya on the basis of a full democracy. But what we have ended up with is a fractured government in which religious extremism of the worst kind has now taken over the government. The concern is that this conflict has produced the exact opposite of a democratic government." Sookhdeo compared what is happening to Libya to what occurred in Egypt, where Mohammed Morsi's Islamic government also tried to make Shariah the law of the land, adding, "They [Christians] will not have full citizenship."

Libyan Christians have been targeted ever since Qaddafi was replaced in October 2011. Although reputedly all they did was carry images of the cross, four Egyptian missionaries were arrested in 2013 for proselytizing; a fifth Egyptian Christian, Ezzat Atallah, died in prison. A teacher of chemistry, Ronnie Smith, 33, of Texas, was shot to death in Benghazi on Dec. 5 while jogging; there were rumors he was killed because he spoke of his Christian faith with Muslims and his students. Smith was murdered after an Al Qaeda spokesman made a public statement ordering Libyans to attack U.S. interests everywhere.

It's not just Egypt and Libya. In March 2012, Jeremiah Small, a teacher from Washington state who taught in Iraq, was murdered by one of his students who had said he would kill Small for his religious views. Just after that, another American teacher, Joel Shrum, was murdered in Yemen by members of the Supporters of Sharia, which stated that the murder was a response to the campaign of Christian proselytizing that the West has launched against Muslims.

The Supporters of Sharia also function in Libya.

Now, about that fence..................
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

One should be careful about condemning Sharia-based law outright... It may or may not mean radical Islam.

(Sharia law to a degree a reflection of OT law with some creative additions. Just what goes into a particular legal system varies from country to country.)

As for
Quote:It's not just Egypt and Libya. In March 2012, Jeremiah Small, a teacher from Washington state who taught in Iraq, was murdered by one of his students who had said he would kill Small for his religious views. Just after that, another American teacher, Joel Shrum, was murdered in Yemen by members of the Supporters of Sharia, which stated that the murder was a response to the campaign of Christian proselytizing that the West has launched against Muslims.

Does not this belong to the Darwin thread?
Sodomia delenda est

(01-07-2014, 03:48 PM)mv Wrote: One should be careful about condemning Sharia-based law outright... It may or may not mean radical Islam.

(Sharia law to a degree a reflection of OT law with some creative additions. Just what goes into a particular legal system varies from country to country.)

As for
Quote:It's not just Egypt and Libya. In March 2012, Jeremiah Small, a teacher from Washington state who taught in Iraq, was murdered by one of his students who had said he would kill Small for his religious views. Just after that, another American teacher, Joel Shrum, was murdered in Yemen by members of the Supporters of Sharia, which stated that the murder was a response to the campaign of Christian proselytizing that the West has launched against Muslims.

Does not this belong to the Darwin thread?

Nothing like proving one's opponent correct, through one's actions.

This is very telling: The 10 Absolute Worst Places in the World to Be a Christian. Of those ten countries, nine are Islamic countries. Are you surprised?

I have a book I just finished about Iranians converting to Christianity. While the converts didn't discuss Muslim theology so much, what was consistent was their description of Islam being a religion that made impossible demands on them.

Kamil might have a different view though, Iran's religious culture could be totally different than Turkey's.

They felt like you couldn't win, Allah was distant and demanding and you couldn't ever get a clue that you could know you felt like you were "in like Flynn" so to speak. They all talked about constant "mourning for the dead Imams", singing these dirges, etc.

Some of the stories are really interesting. 1 was a girl who had been one of those "Shiite" girls dedicated to Allah, sort of = to a Catholic nun. She was a fanatic of fanatics and couldn't ever get a clue that she had ever done enough.

Bottom line, the impression they gave me was it's a religion that sort of depresses you. The Koran states Mohammad himself wasn't sure of his eternal status. How can ya win if he wasn't convinced ?

That probably leads to some of this stuff you alluded to above. I honestly think this explains why some of them are prepared for this martyrdom killing stuff. From their view, this is the ultimate sacrifice one could make for Allah. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

BTW, one of the girls claimed only about 10% of Iran's Shia are seriously religious anymore. The revolution aftermath has had a devastating effect on Iran's people.

Many said most Iranians they speak with are open to Christianity, even in Isfahan. The state still tries to tamp down on evangelization, but, it continues.
Here is something one can find daily, when closely scrutinizing world Christianity. Too bad Islamic groups are mimicking their Christian neighbors, right? S5

Blaze Exclusive: Terrorist Group Issues Fatwa to Kill Journalists and Spies

Monkey see, monkey do, eh?

[Image: ScreenSnapz041-474x620.jpg]

I don't think we should take all murders of US citizens in muslim countries as religiousely motivated.
Maybe one got shot because he didn't want to pay for protection or engaged in a business despite being told no to do so...
And those walking down the streets with a bible in their hand, talking about Jesus Christ... well, they deserve it for being that stupid. Of course that you get killed if you proletize. But it's not targeting christians neither. If you promote one form of Islam instead of another they kill you even faster.
(01-14-2014, 04:06 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: I don't think we should take all murders of US citizens in muslim countries as religiousely motivated.
Maybe one got shot because he didn't want to pay for protection or engaged in a business despite being told no to do so...
And those walking down the streets with a bible in their hand, talking about Jesus Christ... well, they deserve it for being that stupid. Of course that you get killed if you proletize. But it's not targeting christians neither. If you promote one form of Islam instead of another they kill you even faster.

You really believe this is deserved Fred? Do you really? How can you morally justify this anyway?

They wouldn't "deserve it", he's wrong there. It would be stupid though and the Christians there are well aware of it. They're discreet when possible, they have videos about Christ, etc. Bibles may be bought in some areas and shops.

Iran is repressive relative to us, but, it isn't Stalinist. Don't buy the US pr about others. I could live in Iran before I could live in Moscow in 1950, Christians and Jews have lived in Iran for millenia now. It's isn't Maoist or Stalinist. Not even since 1978. It just sucks relative to here.
Quote:Iran is repressive relative to us, but, it isn't Stalinist. Don't buy the US pr about others. I could live in Iran before I could live in Moscow in 1950, Christians and Jews have lived in Iran for millenia now. It's isn't Maoist or Stalinist. Not even since 1978. It just sucks relative to here.

I really wonder where does this kind of stuff comes from.... is it from personal experience of living in Tehran or Moscow of 1950?

I understand the escapism fully: it does seem lately that the current US society has become so degenerate that anything is preferable to it... what I don't understand is judging other setups based on minimal information collected from a few biased sources (all sources are biased). The truth is that every society is wonderful for some segments of the population, less so for others, and it is very difficult to pass a balanced judgement.

For a pervert, US of 2014 is far superior place than either Tehran or Moscow at any point in History.

For a Christian, it is difficult to rate the locales objectively. Iran until 1978 was reasonably religion-tolerant...but Iran of 1950 was still quite an unstable mess post-WWII...not clear if anyone would like it. Russia in 1950 was quite tolerant toward Christianity... and linking Stalinism to suppression of Christianity is quite bizarre given that Stalin exterminated original violently-anti-religious communists rather completely and legalized Orthodox Christianity de-facto circa 1942.

Personally, I'd rate either Moscow or Tehran of 1950 much higher than the US of 2014, simply because both were societies on an uphill trajectory, this alone is enough. But then so was the US of 1950.

Now, when Palladin early advocated moving to the Ottoman Empire of the 16th century, I could understand this... finding an employment in a harem is a good reason... but the latest "I could live" do not seem to be based on any sound reasons. [Image: p037.gif]
Sodomia delenda est

"Russia in 1950 was quite tolerant toward Christianity... and linking Stalinism to suppression of Christianity is quite bizarre given that Stalin exterminated original violently-anti-religious communists rather completely and legalized Orthodox Christianity de-facto circa 1942".

Stalin "defacto legalized the Orthodox church circa 1942". That was nice of him and demonstrates Stalin was definitely quite tolerant doesn't it? Or, it demonstrates what everyone here knows, Stalin was so desperate for help in 1942 he even made up with the apostate sector of the Russian Orthodox Church.

Believe it, he did not make up with those Christians unwilling to compromise with the devil in Moscow. Nor did any Marxist leaders back then anywhere.

Saying so is akin to an anti semitic parrot claiming Hitler was quite tolerant towards Jews cause he waited a few years before starting the holocaust. Hitler also had some apostate Jews who served him and dis served their fellow Jews as the Russian Christians Stalin liked harmed the loyal Christians in the land severely.

I've read about both parties and it should occur to you Marx's ideas never would have lived a day in Russia if the Russian Orthodox Church Stalin tolerated temporarily in 1942 wasn't 100% apostate. Just like American blacks never fell for those lies and they were perfect for them, they weren't apostate like those Russians were back then anyway.
And just what do you mean by apostate? Definitions differ, but here is a simple one:

Quote:To fully identify and combat apostasy, it is important that Christians understand its various forms and the traits that characterize its doctrines and teachers. As to the forms of apostasy, there are two main types: (1) a falling away from key and true doctrines of the Bible into heretical teachings that proclaim to be “the real” Christian doctrine, and (2) a complete renunciation of the Christian faith, which results in a full abandonment of Christ.

I do not see how either one applies here. Historically, Churches loved accusing each other of apostasy (Catholics and Orthodox spent centuries doing just this), but true examples of apostasy seem very few because they need large doctrinal changes, something on the order of Islam or modern mainstream Protestant churches .. perhaps additional examples can be found. To accuse Russian Orthodox church of apostasy would require finding a doctrinal difference, and acceptance of Marxism as a state ideology is not one for more than one reason.

Now, if you simply use "apostasy" as a synonym to "something I don't like", I have no problem. S13
Sodomia delenda est

Christianity, as it exists in Western society, having helped foster it, is failing.

Here is my comparison: what will exist in the next 100yrs? Islam will for sure, but Christianity as we once knew it? Not so much.

And no, the conversion of a buncha Africans from pagan voodoo to Christian themed voodoo does not constitute a positive growth of Christianity.

Maybe lately I am falling away from my faith or something, but I really don't believe in the power of the church or much of Christianity's doctrines anymore.
Self-imposed cynicism has it drawbacks, doesn't it?

I tried being optimistic, but then I realized it was merely painting a turd with rose-colored paint. You can only be optimistic about a failing culture and people for so long, John.

I pretty much want everything to fail now and get it over with so things can begin anew.
(01-15-2014, 07:17 PM)Gunnen4u Wrote: I tried being optimistic, but then I realized it was merely painting a turd with rose-colored paint.

This kind of thing should be left to professionals..professional optimists.
Sodomia delenda est

That shirt almost beats out one with a moon and howling wolves, or a dream catcher.

[Image: 51ANCwQnIjL.jpg]
[Image: dreamcatcher.jpg]
(01-15-2014, 07:27 PM)mv Wrote:
(01-15-2014, 07:17 PM)Gunnen4u Wrote: I tried being optimistic, but then I realized it was merely painting a turd with rose-colored paint.

This kind of thing should be left to professionals..professional optimists.

I believe this may interest Tait a bit more. S5

or this, perhaps? S13

[Image: 1720934]
Sodomia delenda est

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Issac Newton, Apocalypse 2060: The Final Battle Between Christianity And Islam WarBicycle 1 617 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
Last Post: WarBicycle
  Comparing Radical Islam to the Beast scpg02 6 1,231 01-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Last Post: Palladin