Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alzheimers: Coconut Oil, And Other Healthy Alternatives
.....................And Bad Science Cause Considerable Damage To Good Health.

I've always been bemused, frustrated, and yes angered, by how certain 'so called' science, and political correctness, manages to distort and even destroy the reputation of certain foods which are healthy.

Here's a true case in point: Coconut Oil

Perhaps the most healthful of all oils is coconut oil.  Yet it has been maligned for decades by such entities as the following:The Tragic Legacy of Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI

Even the NYTimes has finally thrown in the towel, and its about time too: Once a Villain, Coconut Oil Charms the Health Food World.

Here's another article on finally putting the lie to rest, hopefully.

Quote:Pulling the Curtains on Another CSPI Scare Campaign

Better seventeen years late than never. The New York Times on Tuesday pulled the curtains on Center for Science in the Public Interest's (CSPI) 1994 scare campaign that caused movie-theater popcorn sales to instantly plummet by as much as 50 percent. It wasn't the popcorn itself that CSPI demonized; its target was the saturated fat content that resulted from the coconut oil theaters used to pop it.

Celebrated this week by The Washington Post as "a showman who has come up with myriad headline-grabbing ways of demonizing food ingredients," CSPI Executive Director Michael Jacobson was widely quoted by media outlets in April 1994 doing just that to coconut oil, calling popcorn that used the oil a nutritional "Godzilla."

From the onset, CSPI's campaign to demonize movie-theater popcorn was devised to make Americans deathly afraid of something they likely never considered a health threat at the time—saturated fat. When a CSPI-funded laboratory study revealed that a medium-sized serving of popcorn contained a whopping 37 grams of saturated fat (exceeding the USDA's recommendation of 20 grams per day), CSPI knew it could strike fear in to moviegoers, wrote Chip and Dan Heath in their 2007 book Made to Stick:

CSPI sent bags of movie popcorn from a dozen theaters in three major cities to a lab for nutritional analysis. The results surprised everyone … the lab results showed, coconut oil was also brimming with saturated fat …

The challenge, [then-CSPI Director of Communications Art] Silverman realized, was that few people know what "37 grams of saturated fat" means. Most of us don't memorize the USDA's daily nutrition recommendations. Is 37 grams good or bad? And even if we have an intuition that it's bad. we'd wonder if was "bad bad" (like cigarettes) or "normal bad" (like a cookie or a milk shake) …

The amount of fat in this popcorn was, in some sense, not rational. It was ludicrous. The CSPI needed a way to shape the message in a way that fully communicated this ludicrousness. Silverman came up with a solution.

CSPI called a press conference on September 27, 1992. Here's the message it presented: "A medium-sized ‘butter' popcorn at a typical neighborhood movie theater contains more artery-clogging fat [Jesus wept] than a bacon-and-eggs breakfast, a Big Mac and fries for lunch, and a steak dinner with all the trimmings – combined!"

After nearly 17 years of CSPI scaring the public silly, scientists are beginning to recognize CSPI's long-running crusade against coconut oil as a box-office bust. Thomas Brenna, a Cornell nutrition science professor, told the Times that coconut oil might not be the "disgusting" villain as we've been led to believe:

Most of the studies involving coconut oil were done with partially hydrogenated coconut oil [that is high in trans fat—not saturated fat], which researchers used because they needed to raise the cholesterol levels of their rabbits in order to collect certain data. Virgin coconut oil, which has not been chemically treated, is a different thing in terms of a health risk perspective. And maybe it isn't so bad for you after all.

I think we in the nutrition field are beginning to say that saturated fats are not so bad, and the evidence that said they were is not so strong.

It's worth noting that the coconut oil movie theatres were using in 1994 was (frequently) partially hydrogenated, and contained trans fat. But in the 1990s CSPI was busily publishing newsletter copy like the now-famous "Trans, shmans." It was coconut oil's saturated fat—not its trans fat—that set Jacobson's finger wagging.

A decade earlier, CSPI had fought to get rid of beef fat in cooking oil, a move which forced food providers to switch to the only viable alternative: partially hydrogenated oil, which contained trans fats. CSPI proclaimed: "All told, the charges against trans fat just don't stand up."

CSPI later flip-flopped. Jacobson commenced a campaign of bashing trans fats and calling for restaurants to dump partially hydrogenated oils. He angrily insisted that trans fats were responsible for as many as 30,000 deaths per year (a highly questionable figure), but failed to mention that his organization was largely responsible for their heavier concentration in the American diet in the first place.

With hindsight, of course, CSPI's coconut-oil scare had some merit—but not for the reasons the group offered. Since the partially hydrogenated version contained trans fat, it's likely the group would have gotten around to attacking it eventually, once trans fat had evolved from hero to villain.

Today, however, it's easy to find coconut oil in a liquid form (one that's not partially hydrogenated). So we concur with the Times' suggestion to reacquaint ourselves with its "haunting, nutty, vanilla flavor." In moderation, of course.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I have read (and previously reported) that studies have shown that virgin coconut oil readily passes through the "blood-brain barrier" and directly feeds brain cells, and has shown especially beneficial results when used by people with developing problems such as senile dimensia. It is also said to improve memory for everyone.
Coconut oil is also a great fat burner.

And even the Oz agrees with that.

Unrefined Coconut Oil and What Dr Oz says about the health benefits of this superfood! Part 1. Part 2 immediately follows this one.

But most important of all, for all of us "Old Farts", Coconut Oil does far more. It produced keytones that help combat Alzheimers.

Coconut Oil As an Alzheimer's Treatment - Dr. Mary Newport

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

And Coconut Oil is Touted as an Alzheimer's Remedy. Also, Doctor Newport's description of Alzheimers as being a form of diabetes of the brain is an excellent one.

Coconut Oil Touted as Alzheimer's Remedy

I'm going to start cooking everything with either extra virgin olive oil, or coconut oil.   And forget all the other stuff.

Those Progressive Kooks over at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, ought to be sterilized, so they cannot pass their genes to the next generation, after all the harm they have already caused.

Any excuse for a pina colada.
Here's Dr. Mary Newport's original six part interview, where she explains how she came about using coconut oil and its wonderful reversal effects on her husband Steve. I just finished watching all of them, and she discusses a lot of interesting facts about ketones and how the medium chain triglycerides lead to their production in the human body.

Because of this, I am going to start taking two tablespoons a day as a preventative. Apparently Alzheimer's is at work from ten to twenty years before it manifests itself with onset dementia. And as much as I love the extra virgin olive oil with my popcorn, I am starting to use the coconut oil for the added health benefits.

Here is Part I of six parts, which add up to about an hour. But it is well worth the time, especially if you are forty years or older. This could be a lifesaver in more ways than one. Each following segment is located at the top right hand list of videos. You can highlight it and it will give you the number of the next video.

Highly recommended. S5

Is this really going to be the next food craze: Ramen Burgers?  

I'll admit it does look enticing.  However, lots of refined and useless carbs, and no healthy benefits to it.  

However, this offers a great opportunity for some creative cooking.  I am in the process of ordering five gallons(40 pounds) of unrefined coconut oil.  If I take sweet potatoes and shred them, I can fry them in the coconut oil and have sweet potato hash browns.  And if I use a round metal frying containment, I can come out with exactly the same size hash brown.  

Season it nicely, place it on the hamburger, and Voila!, I have something even better.  And if my jaw will not open all that much, I can just place it on my plate and eat it en lieu French fries.  All sorts of possibilities here. S5

Alzheimers == Diabetes?.
Sodomia delenda est

(12-02-2013, 12:46 AM)mv Wrote: Alzheimers == Diabetes?.

Clearly they are related. If you will watch this video on the benefits of coconut oil in combating diabetes, the good doctor states this and shows how ketones can get around the problem. The entire video is worth watching, but she describes the diabetes thing at the 45 second point in the video.

I'm totally sold on coconut oil, and have quit cooking and frying with anything BUT coconut oil. I don't even use my extra virgin olive oil any more, if I can help it. I am now eating a lot of sweet potato French fries, and use one of those small deep fryers at 325 degrees F, so as not to burn the oil. The FFs are wonderful in taste and very good for you.

Its cheaper to order coconut oil by the gallon, and use it on as many foods as possible, so as to get more ketones in the body. This helps the brain cells work more efficiently.

Here's more information on the link between diabetes and Alzheimer's: Are Alzheimer's and diabetes the same disease?

Also, pdf Alzheimer's Disease and Type 2 Diabetes: What Is the Link?

This is also encouraging: Simple dietary supplements could help stave off AIDS. Its nice to see just how much we are beginning to learn about diseases and health.

Here's more information on Alzheimers, and possible causes: Cholesterol(LDL) linked to brain changes that cause Alzheimer's disease.

In that case, coconut oil is again a winner, because plant-based foods contain no cholesterol of any kind. Only animal products contain cholesterol. My cardiologist had me taking Atorvastatin every day, to lower my blood cholesterol level. But by eating a largely vegan diet (no diary as well as no meat) I was able to bring my cholesterol level way down, to less than half of the recommended maximum. So my doctor said I could stop taking the Atorvastatin.
It seems like drinking coffee and putting Coconut oil on my popcorn is the way to stave off Alzheimer's.
At the very least, you will enjoy a wide-awake dimentia. S1
I've been doing a search to find statistics on Pacific Island populations and the incidence of alzheimer's. There really isn't much, but I came upon this 2011 article in the Huffington Post. Its quite good, and worth reading. Dr. Mercola mentions much more than just the alzheimer's angle.

Quote:The Tropics' Best Kept Secret

The truth about coconut oil is obvious to anyone who has studied the health of those who live in native tropical cultures, where coconut has been a primary dietary staple for thousands of years.

Back in the 1930s, Dr. Weston Price found South Pacific Islanders whose diets were high in coconut to be healthy and trim, despite high dietary fat, and heart disease was virtually non-existent. Similarly, in 1981, researchers studying two Polynesian communities for whom coconut was the primary caloric energy source found them to have excellent cardiovascular health and fitness. (2)

Where were all the clogged arteries and heart attacks from eating all of this ""disgusting"" saturated fat?

Obviously, coconut oil was doing nothing to harm the health of these islanders.

It may be surprising for you to learn that the naturally occurring saturated fat in coconut oil is actually good for you and provides a number of profound health benefits, such as:

• Improving your heart health.(3)
• Boosting your thyroid. (4)
• Increasing your metabolism.
• Promoting a lean body and weight loss if needed.
• Supporting your immune system. (5)

Coconut oil even benefits your skin when applied topically and has been found to have anti-aging, regenerative effects.

So, what are coconut oil's secrets to success?

Totally agree. Coconut oil is worth making a dietary staple. I also suggest adding pineapple and banana to the mix. They work well together and are also standard fare for South Pacific Islanders.

I'm currently eating breakfast: Honey Bunches of Oats with sliced banana and coconut milk.

That and Kona coffee are the best anti-Alzheimer's regimen i know of. I've got meatloaf with pineapple glaze in the fridge. ...and piña colada yogurt.
Here's some more important information about Alzheimer's that had missed my attention earlier. This article from May of this year does a good job of pointing out that nearly twice as many diagnosed Alzheimers cases involve women instead of men.

Alzheimer's Affects Far More Women Than Men, and Here's Why

[Image: alzheimers-topper.jpg]

Quote:Researchers have determined that a single gene variant is responsible to giving aging women a much higher risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, compared to men of the same age.

The Alzheimer's Association's latest facts and figures have revealed that as things stand, nearly two-thirds of all patients (at a staggering 5.1 million) suffering from the debilitating disease are women. And more stunningly still, the disease kills more people each year than breast cancer and prostate cancer combined.

Interestingly, the report also explains that women in their 60s are nearly twice as likely to develop early symptoms of Alzheimer's than they are breast cancer, even when most medical attention is given to the latter when addressing women's' health.

And that should come as something of a surprise, especially because recent research has determined that women are more resistant to conventional memory loss (due to old age) compared to men.

So if you experience memory loss as a male, it is less important concerning Alzheimer's. That's nice to know, since I know that I am not experiencing short term memory loss more. I think of things I need to do, and quickly lose track of what that is supposed to be, only a few minutes later.

This article at the Stanford Medicine section, takes this a bit further, and goes into more detail about all this. Its well worth the read, but here is just some of it, concerning ApoE4.

Quote:Protein recipe

The ApoE gene is a recipe for a protein important for shuttling fatty substances throughout the body. This is particularly important in the central nervous system, as brain function depends on rapid rearrangement of such fatty substances along and among nerve cell membranes. The ApoE gene comes in three varieties — ApoE2, ApoE3 and ApoE4 — depending on inherited variations in the gene’s sequence. As result, the protein that the gene specifies also comes in three versions, whose structures and fatty-substance-shuttling performance differ.

Most people carry two copies of the ApoE3 gene variant (one from each parent). But about one in five people carries at least one copy of ApoE4, and a small percentage have two ApoE4 copies. Numerous studies going back to the early 1990s have confirmed that ApoE4 is a key risk factor for Alzheimer’s disease, with a single copy of ApoE4 increasing that risk twofold or fourfold. Carrying two copies confers 10 times the risk of Alzheimer’s.

One of those many studies, published in 1997 in The Journal of the American Medical Association, suggested that female ApoE4 carriers are more at risk for Alzheimer’s than male carriers are. But for various reasons, that study wasn’t followed up, and both clinicians and scientists designing clinical trials tend to dismiss this distinction to this day, Greicius said. “I’d been practicing for five years before I ever heard of this paper, which had essentially been ignored for 10 years already,” he said.

But on unearthing the 1997 paper, Greicius became curious. In 2012, an imaging study by his group showed provocative differences in brain function in female versus male ApoE4 carriers even when they were still completely asymptomatic. “Brain connectivity in the ApoE4 men didn’t differ much from normal. But connectivity in the ApoE4 women did,” he said. “That convinced me that this is a real phenomenon.”

http://www.rationaloptimist.com/blog/cho...r-you.aspx
I've been bringing this thread up to date today, because most of us are in the 50+ age range, myself being 71. I've noticed that my ability to bring up little facts and names that have always been easy, have become harder to do. I eventually come up with them after about 5-10 seconds, but it interrupts my thinking.

Now, I've always been someone who would forget his head were it not attached, but I am certain that it is because I have so many things going on at the same time. And I type an awful lot because I get to broaden my vocabulary and create more complex sentence structures. But of late, I am having a little bit of trouble bringing up the little things that are in my long term recall capabilities.

So now, I am going through (ingesting) around 45-50 ozs of coconut oil every week, with the majority being from popcorn and cooking. Not bad so far, and I will probably be increasing my intake.

Anyway, this is one thread that we older folks really do need to keep current and be willing to discuss, because it just may bear directly on our mental, as well as physical health.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coconut oil best treatment for Alzheimer's Ron Lambert 1 1,347 10-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Last Post: Ron Lambert