Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Innovative Products
I just noticed that there is no thread dedicated to scientific innovative products, which make our life easier. So I am starting one, and making it a 'sticky' thread for easy access in the future.

Here is something that is near and dear to my heart: waterproof products. I'm not certain just how persistent it is, but if it does not wear off easily, this thing is right up my alley.

The above product is apparently the spray-on application. Below is the bulk liquid product, which is currently quite expensive in this form.

I can well remember years ago reading "The Mote In G-d's Eye" for the first time. And the one thing that stuck to me, more than anything else, was the description of the 'frictionless surface' of the commode. I was totally absorbed in this concept and wondered how long it would take for someone to market this type of product. Well, here it is in its rudimentary form.

Now, if only they can make it permanent, and not wear out.................

Here's a fairly good explanation of the product. And you can see how expensive it is if you purchase it in bulk form..........for now anyway.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hillary Clinton Is Like Herpes, "She Wont Go Away" - Anna Paulina
They have had non-stick cookware for a long time. Doesn't that count? Teflon® also makes a great "lubricant" in joints under high pressure, like the turning couples on trains.
This is almost certainly different. The teflon finish has to be a thick application, which would not work with clothing, shoes/boots, or other surfaces that are flexible.

And too, the trflon related products are not really close to frictionless. They still have to be scraped or peeled away, to remove all the unwanted material. This stuff actually provides no surface area for objects to adhere.

My only concern is that it is not tough enough to protect the surface indefinitely(or close to that). That would be the key to success to my mind.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
http://elysiumspace.com/pages/the-experience

Do you want to be buried in space? I think I do.
(06-26-2013, 07:44 AM)John L Wrote: I just noticed that there is no thread dedicated to scientific innovative products, which make our life easier. So I am starting one, and making it a 'sticky' thread for easy access in the future.

Here is something that is near and dear to my heart: waterproof products. I'm not certain just how persistent it is, but if it does not wear off easily, this thing is right up my alley.

The above product is apparently the spray-on application. Below is the bulk liquid product, which is currently quite expensive in this form.

I can well remember years ago reading "The Mote In G-d's Eye" for the first time. And the one thing that stuck to me, more than anything else, was the description of the 'frictionless surface' of the commode. I was totally absorbed in this concept and wondered how long it would take for someone to market this type of product. Well, here it is in its rudimentary form.

Now, if only they can make it permanent, and not wear out.................

Here's a fairly good explanation of the product. And you can see how expensive it is if you purchase it in bulk form..........for now anyway.

I'd love to coat the bottom of my boat with this stuff, I leave it in the water for 6 months, when I take the boat out in the fall it's covered with crap.
(08-15-2013, 06:12 PM)Gunnen4u Wrote: http://elysiumspace.com/pages/the-experience

Do you want to be buried in space? I think I do.

I like the idea of you returning back to earth as a shooting star(meteor), as the advertisement says. Neat.

Ronald, that NeverWet is supposed to be showing up at Home Depot, or Lowes, any day now.
And speaking of innovations, this is perhaps the most gratifying one of all. I was astounded when I first saw this today, because of its simplicity, and how it will affect millions in a very positive way. My first thought was that this inventor should be given a Nobel prize, or some sort of high honour, along with a cash prize.

Alfredo Moser: Bottle light inventor proud to be poor

[Image: _69254976_change_montage.jpg]

I'm surprised no one has thought of this before.

This looks like a Win-Win for golfers. I'll bet it would be used in other things too.

Not certain where to put this one: here or in the biology thread. But since it is so innovative, I'll place it here.

'TomTato' tomato and potato plant unveiled in UK

Quote:A plant that produces both tomatoes and potatoes, called the TomTato, has been developed for the UK market.

Ipswich-based horticultural firm Thompson and Morgan said the hybrid plants were not genetically modified.

Similar plants have been created in the UK, but the firm said it was thought to be the first time they had been produced on a commercial scale.

[Image: article-2432094-1841D5B400000578-89_634x821.jpg]

Guy Barter, of the Royal Horticultural Society (RHS), said it was looking at the plant with "real interest".

Mr Barter said many of these plants - created by a technique known as grafting - had been created before but taste had previously been a problem.

"We're looking at it with real interest because Thompson and Morgan are a really reputable firm with a lot to lose, but I wouldn't rule out that it could be a very valuable plant to them," said Mr Barter, who is a contributor to BBC Gardener's World.

"In the past we've never had any faith in the plants - they've not been very good - but grafting has come on leaps and bounds in recent years.

[Image: article-2432094-1844277C00000578-283_634x310.jpg]

The rest of the article can be read at the link above.

Insect Flower is about to become a viable product for the Third World: Flour Made From Insects Will Feed Underfed Populations. This may sound a bit gross, but is highly practical because insects are very protein rich critters. Ranger school only provides for two 'Cs' a day, and the rest of food pallet has to be made up with opportunism on the part of the students. Anything is worth going into the stomach.

Anyway, grasshoppers would make the perfect medium for this product since they reproduce so easily and are usually native to the Third World.

[Image: GTY_grasshoppers_oaxaca_jtm_130927_16x9_992.jpg]
Yummy.

Almost looks like crawfish.

Crunchy too, I would suspect.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Those who go by the guideline in Leviticus 11 for foods that are considered unclean, usually regard locusts as clean. Lev. 11:22, 23 explicitly says: "These of them you may eat: the locust in its kinds, and the devastating locust in its kinds, and the cricket in its kinds, and the grasshopper in its kinds. But all other winged insects which are four-footed are detestable to you." (NASB) That would seem to rule out butterflies and moths. But it would seem that we have God's permission to eat grasshoppers. And since locusts so often devastate crops, it would seem like a good plan to eat them.
*goes off looking for kosher grasshoppers at local grocery store*
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!
Carob is also called "Honey-locust." You can find that in health food stores. There is some confusion about whether John the Baptist when he was living in the wilderness fed on carob or on grasshoppers and honey. Matthew 3:4 says of him: "And John himself was clothed in camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey." (NKJV)

I wonder how Taliban would react to several hundred heavily armed robots coming at them?
Yeah, I had forgotten about that robot. Its innovative in that the elbows/knees are all facing inward, just like a dog's. If you look at your own limbs, you will see the same thing, which is standard with mammals. Once the limbs are oriented correctly, it is very easy to make a four limbed robot work well.
Coming soon, to a vehicle near you?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/1051...story.html.
Here is a great list of products that are worth looking through. Every one should be able to find something that strikes one's fancy.

Beer soap for your man cave.
Reinventing the bicycle wheel: Part One