Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wonders of Carbon
It looks like carbon is proving to be the main ingredient in future advances in science technology.  I've touted the potential future of carbon application in the construction of space elevators.  But that is just the tip of the iceberg.  Carbon can be used to pass along a charge, store electricity.  It will almost certainly replace steel as a building material because it is much stronger, and lighter, which will enable builders to construct structures that are creative, elegant, and support huge weight.

Here is but one application for carbon, and it promises to make big changes on how energy is stored, and released.  It will almost certainly be used in the new generation of super conductors.

UCLA researchers develop new technique to scale up production of graphene micro-supercapacitors

Scalable fabrication of high-power graphene micro-supercapacitors for flexible and on-chip energy storage

[Image: UCLA-news-image-display.jpg]

ResearchGate: Graphene for batteries, supercapacitors and beyond
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Hillary Clinton Is Like Herpes, "She Wont Go Away" - Anna Paulina
What is Graphene?

Graphene: The Next Tech Revolution?

A new approach to water desalination

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here's more great news on the future of graphene.

Combining wonder material graphene with other stunning one-atom thick materials could create the next generation of solar cells and optoelectronic devices, scientists have revealed.

I just find the prospects of so many future uses for carbon to be fantastic. And we are still treating it as though it is a nuisance element.
When will the production lines be set up?
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
My guess is that is the sticking point. Mass producing the products will most likely take a while to work out. But clearly there are far more uses for carbon than practically anything else around. I'm guessing that almost everything we use in our everyday life will wind up being carbon based. Even out everyday plastics are carbon based, but I suspect these new products will eventually replace them too.

The fact that carbon can even be a good conductor of electricity really opens the door to untold possibilities.

I once talked about the future of spacesuits, where the fabric would be carbon. This would enable regular clothes to be open weaved, allowing ventilation. But in orbit, those same clothes when exposed to space could electronically send a signal to the cloth, causing the open weave to suddenly shut and become air tight. The need for lugging around heavy spacesuits would not be necessary with new suits made of new carbon fabric.
Here's a good article in the WSJ

In Defense Of Carbon Dioxide: The demonized chemical compound is a boon to plant life and has little correlation with global temperature

Or go here to this google search page, and click on the top link. It will take you to the entire article.
Here is the latest news about micro-storage batteries. And while it talks about the use of 3D printers, the one thing left out of the article is what makes these batteries so conductive and revolutionary. That thing is 'Carbon' in the form of carbon nanotubes and Graphene. Were it not for carbon, this field of science would not be possible.

3D printing tiny batteries

In the immediate future, batteries can be printed, or even painted, on any surface of an object rather than having to be installed. Neat, huh?
Next, 3D printing of tiny flashlights.

How many tiny batteries does it take to operate a laptop? Or, perhaps a tiny laptop.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Here's more news on graphine, amongst many others: Not-Weak Knots Bolster Carbon Fiber.  What caused this to catch my attention is the use of graphine for making smart clothing.  the weave of all clothing is made up of countless knots, in order to hold the fabric together.  If this graphine is much stronger, clothing could be made to be practically indestructible in the future.  And this really bodes well for space suits, or extreme weather gear.  

My guess is that somewhere in the near future clothing will be made of carbon, and eventually it will be able to do a multitude of things, such as self-regulate temperatures, and automatically seal itself.  It could also act as a built-in computer as well. Since carbon is a good conductor of electricity, this is entirely possible.  

Here's a thought: what about clothing that can change its personality/look on command.  Instead of summer golf gear, just change it to something more formal, without having to change clothes.  Or go from separate shirt and trousers to a one piece outfit for work conditions.  And also make the clothing self-cleaning as well.  The possibilities are endless, thanks to the wonders of carbon.

Or how about this for increased strength: 'Nanostitching' Could Strengthen Airplane Skins, More.

[Image: 090304131224.jpg]

Quote:MIT engineers are using carbon nanotubes only billionths of a meter thick to stitch together aerospace materials in work that could make airplane skins and other products some 10 times stronger at a nominal increase in cost.

Moreover, advanced composites reinforced with nanotubes are also more than one million times more electrically conductive than their counterparts without nanotubes, meaning aircraft built with such materials would have greater protection against damage from lightning, said Brian L. Wardle, the Charles Stark Draper Assistant Professor in the Department of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
Ok, here's more on that wonder material, graphene.  John Coleman reports:

Graphene the new plastic?

Graphene - The Strongest Material in the World

And just what is all of this from?   CARBON!!  No matter how maligned it is these days, it is the wonder material of the future.  Think Carbon!
I haven't posted in this thread for some time now, and I'm sure Paul has not had a chance to go through it yet. But to my thinking, the upcoming uses for the evil Carbon are limitless. Quite simply, it is the element of the future, for several reasons. First off, it is extremely abundant(4th most abundant element in this solar system alone), so it is literally everywhere, and easy to process. And secondly, there are bound to be countless applications, and made into a good many different types. And most important of all, its going to be the construction material of the future.

For example, carbon nanotubes, graphene, and obviously newer discoveries, will enter the construction market, being able to easily replace iron/steel in framing and outer finish. In other words, skyscrapers, automobiles, homes, and countless construction structures will be made of carbon. And it will be countless times stronger, and countless times lighter. Just imagine being able to create tall buildings that are graceful, flowing, and totally impossible to achieve today with the use of steel. And they will be countless times stronger too.

Space elevators will be numerous, being constructed with carbon nanotubes. If space debris punches a hole in the cable, it will quickly fix itself automatically. And the cable will be exceptionally strong, allowing elevators to move up and down the elongated cable in both directions, providing vast movement into space. And most important of all, it will be almost as cheap as moving things across the ocean.

Agriculture, manufacturing, and all heavy industry can be performed economically in earth orbit. In fact space craft will be made from carbon, which will have a decided advantage. The space craft will have much less mass, and be much stronger. Getting the vessel from earth to mars will be much quicker, economically advantageous, and doable.

Clothing will be made out of carbon. And it will conduct electricity, allowing its weave to open, or close, depending on the surrounding temperature. Even clothing would be able to become a spacesuit, should there be an accident. Clothing will have a built-in computer, regulating everything. A flexible graphene helmet can be folded into an opening collar, along with gloves within the sleeve. All it would take would be a few seconds to seal up and be able to survive in space. And all with just one set of clothing, which can change colour offering many combinations. The sky is the limit.

We have gone from the Industrial Revolution, to the Technological Revolution. And the next big revolution will either be the BioEngineering, or Carbon Revolution. Both these two advances are going to totally transfer our society, and get humans into space in a Very Big Way!

I'm totally convinced that in the near future, the use of steel will become only a niche industry, with almost everything being done by carbon. And the Neo-Luddites think carbon is bad for us? Give me a break. Its going to be one tremendous boon, and not a bane, that's for sure.
Seeing that carbon is a good conductor of electricity, it would be nice to see it applied to storing electricity to make cars run.
"The end of democracy and the defeat of the American Revolution will occur when government falls into the hands of lending institutions and moneyed incorporations." `Thomas Jefferson

Robert, if you will take the time and watch these videos, you will be astonished at the possibilities open to us. Its just amazing everything there. Just think, you can take that graphene and actually spray paint in on to a frame, and use it as a battery. The battery can be located all over the car and can be charged in no time at all. This is simply staggering!

Just think of the possibilities for clothing. You can wear the same clothing on the equator, in the arctic, and even in space, and the built in computer will be able to tailor itself to the wearer. It will provide battery storage, computer, and regulate clothing for all types of weather conditions.

And that is just the beginning of things. I'm telling you, in another fifty years we won't recognize things. And all due to that evil Carbon atom, that is supposedly harming the planet. Go figure that one. S5

I've seen the opportunities of carbon for some time now, and sometimes at night, before going to sleep, I think of all the possibilities, and they are staggering.

Mostly I think about our move into space with all this technology, and there isn't a single science fiction writer even remotely discussing this to anyone,....period. Its as though they are all stuck on stupid here. Am I the only person clearly seeing all the ramifications here?
This just came out today, about three hours ago: Stanford makes flexible carbon nanotube circuits more reliable and power efficient. This is neat because the article states that the NNTs(Carbon NanoTubes) can be used in an inkjet printer and be precisely set in a circuit. And also they will work for "P" and also "N" type semiconductors. This can open up a huge new world of flexible applications.

Its hard to keep up with all the new developments in carbon technology, because new things are being discovered on a daily basis. Its really exciting. Just think, instead of just a regular smartphone, in the future you can have one that will open out and allow you to have as large of a screen as you may wish. That tiny screen of today could be larger than that of a notebook, and all in a tiny package.

Or, you could have a huge monitor on your wall, which shows your movies. You can just go to the wall, roll up the screen and take it to another room, unroll it and hang it on that new wall, with no trouble at all. Neat, eh?
Boy, I'm really behind the times here, because we now have a new carbon champion here: carbyne. And we have known about this little fellow for some time now, because we found it meteorites and interstellar dust. But now we are able to create it in the lab. Interesting.

Carbyne: A new form of carbon that’s stronger than graphene

My guess is that we are at the leading edge of new carbon types. We probably won't have enough different names to call them, and have them start with 'Carb-' when this is all over and the dust finally settles. I can picture over a dozen different types of super-strong carbon applications, some able to conduct electricity as a superconductor, some as electricity storage, and others for a host of applications. And one or two may be able to do pretty much everything very well. This is going to change everything.

Here's more on carbyne.

Carbon's new champion: Carbyne, a simple chain of carbon atoms, strongest material of all?

Quote:arbyne will be the strongest of a new class of microscopic materials if and when anyone can make it in bulk.

If they do, they'll find carbyne nanorods or nanoropes have a host of remarkable and useful properties, as described in a new paper by Rice University theoretical physicist Boris Yakobson and his group. The paper appears this week in the American Chemical Society journal ACS Nano.

Carbyne is a chain of carbon atoms held together by either double or alternating single and triple atomic bonds. That makes it a true one-dimensional material, unlike atom-thin sheets of graphene that have a top and a bottom or hollow nanotubes that have an inside and outside.

According to the portrait drawn from calculations by Yakobson and his group:

* Carbyne's tensile strength -- the ability to withstand stretching -- surpasses "that of any other known material" and is double that of graphene. (Scientists had already calculated it would take an elephant on a pencil to break through a sheet of graphene.)

* It has twice the tensile stiffness of graphene and carbon nanotubes and nearly three times that of diamond.

* Stretching carbyne as little as 10 percent alters its electronic band gap significantly.

* If outfitted with molecular handles at the ends, it can also be twisted to alter its band gap. With a 90-degree end-to-end rotation, it becomes a magnetic semiconductor.

* Carbyne chains can take on side molecules that may make the chains suitable for energy storage.

* The material is stable at room temperature, largely resisting crosslinks with nearby chains.

That's a remarkable set of qualities for a simple string of carbon atoms, Yakobson said.

Make your own graphene Super-Capacitor. More are now climbing on board the carbon trail.

[Image: FBMCGQMHVFL99D6.MEDIUM.jpg]
Here's another update. Many nights I have trouble going to sleep because my mind is racing along. And the past couple of nights, I hit on something about mining carbon in space. Where would be the best place to gather huge quantities of carbon, without having to travel all that distance beyond mars to the asteroid belt?

For some reason, I was thinking about space industries, and its future. My mind somehow settled in on Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle's masterpiece "The Mote In God's Eye". And in it the ships constantly refueled themselves by orbiting a gas giant and dropping a long hose into the atmosphere and pumping out the hydrogen for fuel. And that got me to thinking about venus. But Wait!, Venus has an atmosphere that is much denser than ours, and it is almost exclusively made up of carbon dioxide.

So I jumped up and went to my computer, typed in "Venus atmosphere", and began reading:

Quote:The atmosphere of Venus is mostly carbon dioxide, 96.5% by volume. Most of the remaining 3.5% is nitrogen. Early evidence pointed to the sulfuric acid content in the atmosphere, but we now know that that is a rather minor constituent of the atmosphere.

The mass of the Venus atmosphere is about 90 times that of the Earth's atmosphere. 90% of the Earth's atmosphere is within 10 km of the surface, whereas you have to go to 50 km to capture 90% of the atmosphere of Venus. The clouds of Venus may extend from about 50 to 70 km and may be divided into three distinct layers. Below the clouds is a layer of haze down to about 30 km and below that it is clear.

Above the clouds there is a high-speed "jet stream" which blows from west to east at about 300-400 km/h. This wind is fastest at the equator and slows toward the poles, often giving a "V" type pattern in the visible cloud cover. At the surface there is almost no prevailing wind, with measured surface wind speeds typically less than 2 m/s.

Wow! All of that CO2 in one place and just waiting to be tapped. Just think, set up a large refueling station in polar orbit where the atmospheric winds are least active, and drop a tube into the atmosphere in order to suck out large gulps of CO2. Then break down the gas into carbon and oxygen, and there would not only be huge amounts of carbon for building habitats, space ships, and other things, but there would be huge storage capacity of O2 for humans to breathe. The quantity there would be virtually unlimited. And if we tapped enough, the atmosphere just may be easier to turn into a more livable place, at least in the polar regions. It would be a Win-Win for humans.

Anyway, Venus would be the perfect place for us to come up with all the carbon and O2 we would ever need in this solar system, that's for sure. Just one more thought from an idle mind. S5
And speaking about capturing carbon for future use, check out the ways that I saw a few minutes ago.

8 future technologies for carbon capture
Here's more use of carbon applied to the trucking industry.  This is just the leading edge, which will really be taking off in the near future.  Saving 4,000 pounds on a trailer is stunning, and will save considerable money in fuel expenses.

Carbon-fiber concept trailer from Great Dane cuts weight by 4000 lb

[Image: 13507_20143.jpg]
This 'Carbyne' is really interesting. And on top of this, it is now being mass produced.

World’s strongest material: Scientists create 'wonder substance' carbyne in large amounts for the first time

World's Strongest Material- Carbyne Documentary 2016 NOVA