Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EarWorms, And Getting Rid Of Them
Everybody has EarWorms, or those catchy songs that just keep popping back up in one's mind. Apparently they drive some crazy, but I have learned to live with them. First off, I am highly musical, so it is nothing for me to have music going on in my brain when I am awake. Two earworms that are part of my mental resume are "My Sharona"(The Knack) and "Need You Tonight"(INXS), and there are certainly others.

But how to get rid of them is what this article is all about. And anyone who has a Lady Gaga song stuck in their brain get what they deserve for just listening to such a perverted person. S5

Here is the question to members: which songs are stuck in your brain and keep repeating themselves? And if you really don't have any, why?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
Quote: And if you really don't have any, why?

I don't, but is it a good question? One can ask along these lines

Quote: And if you really don't have any internal parasites, why?

S6

Regardless, washing your ears with mebendazole or a related med might help.
Sanders 2020

Here are some other earworms that haunt me off and on. There are others, but also many of my favorites that don't play back in my brain. But these, and more, do. Go figure.

It's Only Love(Bryan Adams & Tina Turner) This is one of the most frequent. Its always with me, if you can believe it. I could listen to this till hell freezes over and not grow tired.

Good Times(The Cars)

Walk Of Life(Dire Straits)

Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For(U2)

Hold The Line(Toto)

Won't Get Fooled Again(The Who)

Only You Know And I Know(Delaney & Bonnie)

Jesus Is Just Alright(Doobies)

My Head's In Mississippi(Z Z Top)

Hotel California(Eagles)

School's Out(Alice Cooper)

I Think I'm In Love(Eddie Money)

Long Cool Woman(The Hollies)

Bungle In The Jungle(Jethro Tull) Yes I'm serious here. S5

City of the Angels, Just The Same Way(Journey)

Taking Care Of Business(BTO)

All Along The Watchtower(Jimmy Hendricks)

For Your Life & Nobody's Fault But Mine(Led Zeppelin) Yes, the least popular album they ever did has the two that plays the most in my mind.

Jailbreak(Thin Lizzy)

My Kind of Lover(Billy Squier)

Hey You(Pink Floyd)

Its A Heartache(Bonnie Tyler)

When I See You Smile(Bad English)

I want It All & We Will Rock You(Queen)

Jungle Love(Steve Miller)
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
The oompa loompa song is the only one that makes me want to eat a bullet.

OH GOD THERE IT GOES AGAIN!!!!
(03-25-2013, 01:38 PM)Pixiest Wrote: The oompa loompa song is the only one that makes me want to eat a bullet.

OH GOD THERE IT GOES AGAIN!!!!

I have nevva, Evva, heard that gem before. Course, I never watched that dreadful movie either.

After watching it on Youtube, there are a couple of things that I know. One, I really do feel compassion for you if this song keeps going through your head. And I can understand your dietary preference. And second, I am going to purposefully never listen to it again, in case it is contagious. S13S18
(03-25-2013, 02:03 PM)John L Wrote: I have nevva, Evva, heard that gem before. Course, I never watched that dreadful movie either.

After watching it on Youtube, there are a couple of things that I know. One, I really do feel compassion for you if this song keeps going through your head. And I can understand your dietary preference. And second, I am going to purposefully never listen to it again, in case it is contagious. S13S18

It only took one viewing of that movie as a child to infect me with that song...
Most songs like that pop up with some trigger. It is rare that one of mine get going unless something yanks the pull-cord, first. Mine are more based on lyrics then on just melody; which means Sinatra and blockbuster Broadway hits (which usually have understandable lyrics) are easily launched. I find that for me to end the cycling mind play is to get all the lyrics down correctly, then I can put it away.

The one that probably hit me the most often was Step to the Rear, a little-known blockbuster from a 60's musical, How Now, Dow Jones. In order to put a cap on these ear worms, I have an archive of lyrics of most of these - including the theme songs from TV shows:

There’s a hold-up in the Bronx,
Brooklyn’s broken out in fights.
There’s a traffic jam in Harlem
That’s backed up to Jackson Heights.
There’s a scout troop short a child,
Khrushchev’s due at Idlewild
Car 54, Where Are You?

1955 "Robin Hood" lyrics, Mayberry's "The Fishin' Hole whistle song, The "I Love Lucy" lyrics, Beverly Hillbillies, and especially the songs that have different sets of lyrics, like "Cheers" and "Bonanza." "The Ballad of Davey Crockett" is one that just keeps on giving, because there are so many verses used for different Disney episodes. Then the all-time favorites, like "Laverne and Shirley." How can any one not let "Schlemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated" take over your mind?