Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spinal Cord Regeneration
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...LnegrzbBBk#!

Quote:A group of paralyzed dogs is walking again thanks to some help from their own noses.

Scientists at Cambridge University injected cells grown from the lining of the dogs’ noses into their spines as a way to regenerate damaged areas, BBC News reported.

Researchers are cautiously optimistic the treatment could eventually be used on human patients.

In the study, funded by the Medical Research Council and published in the neurology journal Brain, scientists took olfactory ensheathing cells from the noses of the paralyzed dogs and injected them into 23 dogs, The Telegraph reported.

According to the BBC, the olfactory system is the only site where adults continue to develop nerve fibres.

A neutral control substance was injected into 11 other dogs.

The latter group saw no improvement, but many of the 23 transplant dogs were able to walk again with the help of a harness on a treadmill.

One of the transplant dogs, a dachshund named Jasper, was described by its owner as “whizzing around the house” after undergoing the treatment, The Daily Mail reported.

Source

It's highly probably that we will see this procedure being used on humans within the next fifteen to twenty years.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
That really is miraculous.

I didn't see anywhere in the article just how bad the spinal cord damage was to the recovered dogs. I'd like to know that one.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
According to the news item I heard about this on the radio, the dog in question had been injured in an accident so it could only drag its hind legs on a treadmill. Seems like a cruel thing to do to paraplegic dog--put it on a treadmill. They even played what they said was the sound of the dog dragging its hind quarters. Then the dog was said to be able to run on all fours again, after the treatment. I guess it forgave them for the treadmill.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regeneration WmLambert 7 1,932 02-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Last Post: John L
  Regeneration of body parts. jt 6 1,229 05-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Last Post: Armadillo