Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleep Apnea
Thursday evening I attended a sleep apnea clinic. Last night I received a call advising there had been a cancellation and asked if I could be at the clinic within a couple of hours to go over my results and to complete further testing. I was advised that I have severe sleep apnea, I stop breathing over 90 times per hour and my oxygen levels were eighty-two percent. I spent the night on a breathing apparatus and probably got the best night's sleep I've had in decades. I should have my own machine delivered within 5 days; seventy percent of the cost is covered by provincial healthcare and the remaining twenty-five percent is covered by my private health care insurance. I have to use this breathing apparatus for the rest of my life.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Holy Cow!, I watched a program about that on Science Channel a couple of years ago. And the truth is that there are a whole lot more males with this problem than know about it.

I sorry to read this. S4
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
It wasn't very difficult to sleep wearing the breathing apparatus. I'm usually a restless sleeper, last night I hardly moved at all, I slept like a baby. I look forward to getting a good night's rest.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
What is your Respiratory Disturbance Index anyway?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
“Don’t confuse me with facts, my mind is made up” — Saint Al of the Gore -
I have several coworkers like this. Sleep deprivation is a growing problem. I am thankful I have avoided this one, I love sleeping!
(11-09-2012, 01:30 PM)John L Wrote: What is your Respiratory Disturbance Index anyway?

Beats me, I won't find out until until the final report is sent to my family doctor.
Jeez... I got narked on at work for getting drowsy - and got packed off to a sleep clinic in Vegas. The oriental nurse who rigged me up, woke me after a half hour and said, "You go home! You no die on my watch!" The CPAP unit works and does give a good night's sleep. The best thing is that it gives your spouse a more uninterrupted night's sleep as well. No waking up with fears you are dead, or explosive gasps that can raise the dead. No snoring.

It's a bother, but given the alternative...
My wife was constantly checking to see if I'm still breathing, and slept with earplugs. What type of machine and mask should I get?
When I got mine, the Respironics REMStar M-Series was considered to be pretty good - but that was several years ago. It is still going strong. When you go in for your counseling session, the supplier will go over what is best for you, and insurance should cover it. If you can, ask for a humidifier attachment and not the big water tank.
Thanks, a homecare provider should be contacting me within the next few days. Seventy percent is covered by Provincial Healthcare and 30% by my private health insurance. It won't cost me a cent.
Picked up my CPAC machine a few days ago, it's going to take a while to get used to sleeping with it.
If you get too congested, put some Tiger Balm on your nose. It won't burn the skin, but opens the sinuses nicely.
Thanks.
While we are on the subject of sleep, my sleep habits suggest that I'm going to eventually die around 11:00 am.
If I recall right, most actuarial tables indicate people usually die in the middle of the night (wee hours of the morning). Of course I don't know how that would apply to someone who works the night shift, and sleeps during the day.