Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Invasive Species Going Wild
I thought I would start a thread on the accidental, or intentional, introduction of invasive foreign species into the local flora and fauna. While this is occurring in many places throughout the world, Florida is feeling the effects more than any place else.

Here is what I mean: Florida State Record 87 Eggs in Largest Python from Everglades.

Quote:Scientists at the Florida Museum of Natural History on the UF campus examined the internal anatomy of the 164.5-pound snake on August 10. The animal was brought to the Florida Museum from Everglades National Park as part of a long-term project with the U.S. Department of the Interior to research methods for managing the state's invasive Burmese python problem. Following scientific investigation, the snake will be mounted for exhibition at the museum for about five years, and then returned for exhibition at Everglades National Park.

"This thing is monstrous, it's about a foot wide," said Florida Museum herpetology collection manager Kenneth Krysko. "It means these snakes are surviving a long time in the wild, there's nothing stopping them and the native wildlife are in trouble."

Krysko said the snake was in excellent health and its stomach contained feathers that will be identified by museum ornithologists. Burmese pythons are known to prey on native birds, deer, bobcats, alligators and other large animals.

I think I mentioned somewhere before that the best way to get rid of the problem is to find a way to make it a restaurant delicacy, and offer a bounty per pound of these critters. When they become a favorite at the dinner table, they can be easily eliminated from the wild.

But this is the most important part of the article, and bodes ill for native species which could be in danger of being eliminated, disrupting the ecosystem.

Quote:Florida has the world's worst invasive reptile and amphibian problem. Krysko led a 20-year study published in September 2011 in Zootaxa showing 137 non-native species were introduced to Florida between 1863 and 2010. The study verified the pet trade as the No. 1 cause of the species' introductions and the Burmese python was one of 56 non-native species determined to be reproducing and established in the state.

If you guys come across any new news of invasive species, please place them here on this thread.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Speaking of flora invaders, we need look no further than the lowly dandelion. It is not native to the American continent. It was deliberately imported from Europe as a salad herb (young leaves and flowers are edible). Nobody expected it would turn into such a prolific weed.

And then in more recent history there is Kudzu.
Is kudzu edible? I mean I know it can probably be eaten, but would it work well in a salad?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it.
H. L. Mencken
Another invasive species is the earth worm. Earth worms were wiped out during the Ice Age and didn't return until Europeans started bringing potted plants to North America. Read this at the local botanical gardens several years ago.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
(08-14-2012, 09:04 PM)WarBicycle Wrote: Another invasive species is the earth worm. Earth worms were wiped out during the Ice Age and didn't return until Europeans started bringing potted plants to North America. Read this at the local botanical gardens several years ago.

I just learned something new. Here's more on the subject.
H. L. Mencken
We think Earthworms are absolutely essential, and even put them in flower or plant pots. Our European worms are under attack by a predatory flatworm from New Zealand, not so good because it doesn't eat and recycle dead plant matter. As for plants, your Kudzu is certainly bad, and now wait for Blackthorn and Bramble from Europe. Two invincible plants as well, and grow on any soil. Blackthorn forms impassable hedges due to it's savage thorns, but is a bone hard and beautiful wood when polished, and excellent for fireplaces. Bramble is thorny as well, and if you manage to entangle yourself in its thickets, it'll take your cloth and skin off.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Here's the video of the capture of that record breaking Burmese Python.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...co5y7TQfn0
H. L. Mencken

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invasive Species John L 4 2,725 11-26-2016, 10:41 PM
Last Post: WmLambert