Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mars
Do you think Curiosity will make it down OK?

Going to watch the landing live tonight, or tomorrow depending where you live?

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ -seems to be down Banghead
May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
(08-05-2012, 02:25 PM)veritas Wrote: Do you think Curiosity will make it down OK?

Going to watch the landing live tonight, or tomorrow depending where you live?

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/ -seems to be down Banghead

Try this one ... http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/ I'm probably going to be snoozing. Should be exciting though.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
let's hope so. If it is able to come up to the actual accomplishment of the prior two, it will have been a huge success.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
(08-05-2012, 03:57 PM)John L Wrote: let's hope so. If it is able to come up to the actual accomplishment of the prior two, it will have been a huge success.

Lots of really complicated stuff happening very quickly ... all completely on autopilot. What could possibly go wrong? I hope everybody kept their decimal points straight this time.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."
-- Henry Mencken
Curiosity lands at 9:30 my time. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
[Image: 760.png]
Touch down. This is a very ambitious project. I think my kids will see a man walk on Mars.
(08-06-2012, 01:43 AM)ghoullio Wrote: Touch down. This is a very ambitious project. I think my kids will see a man walk on Mars.

I was struck by the underwhelming amount of fanfare. I don't generally view the MSM ... maybe they picked it up. It was on the outlets that I peruse, but seems like it was treated like a page 3 story. Should have gotten more notice for such an accomplishment.
-- Henry Mencken
Who cares. Let Rome burn. I watched from mission control for about an hour before the actual landing. It was really inspiring to see so many intelligent people working together for a common cause. The landing was about as perfect as you can get, 300 some odd million miles and lands within 10 feet of where they were aiming. Extraordinary. I'm actually really glad that NASA scrapped the shuttle program and decided to spend some money and research into mars. I think in 15 years we could land a man on mars. What exciting times! I can only imagine my kids will feel the same as my parents did when they watched man walk on the moon for the first time.

Now they just have to drop a payload 10 times heavier than Curiousity and develop a return platform to get the astronaut back. I wonder with this precision if they could Pre launch the return vessel and have it set up for when the astronauts land. It's 9 month from here to mars so a return journey is probably a two year ordeal, if all the planets align for trajectory and what not.

I could care less that this was met with unenthusiasm by the MSM. When have they ever gotten anything right? My wife was laughing at me staring into my iPad watching curiousity land. Then when she got to work several people commented on watching it, I think she realized what an awesome feat it really was. I'm proud of all those nerds in that mission control center. I hope they enjoy their youth and celebrated like crazy last night.
Colorado was well represented. It doesn't get much press, but we have a fair amount of aerospace here.

ghoullio Wrote:Now they just have to drop a payload 10 times heavier than Curiousity and develop a return platform to get the astronaut back.

I think a lot of the intent of the intricate detail ... where part of the spacecraft ascends after 'landing' ... was lost on most people.
-- Henry Mencken
Yes, returning men from Mars is much more difficult than sending them there.
That's why the "mission" Mars One (see other thread) plans to only send poeple on Mars with no hope of coming back (and expect thousands of candidate for this very special suicide mission).

A return module will hae to be landed safely as Curiosity was, but it will be several times larger and heavier.
Larger than the Moon module because gravitation is stronger on Mars.
Then the return module will have to dock the orbiting return vessel in which the astronaut will make their journey back to Earth.

First we need to do an unmanned flight experiment. Then sent real human there.

But it will take more than 15 years, I'm afraid.
Space exploration is going slowlier and slowlier as targets get farther and farther.

Sending poeple in a quasi suicide mission with 50% of coming back alive may be possible earlier. The problem is safety.
That's why we ned to make an unmanned rehearsal.
The radiation problems in space are nontrivial and present a strong danger on a long trip (8+ months to Mars). The lack of weight is also destructive to humans, but presumably this could be corrected by centrifugal force.

Don't forget the extra weight food and water require. Each extra pound requires a considerable increase in rocket power or fuel. Since chemical rockets are maxed out, this means a huge increase in fuel mass.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
I don't understand why we can't place a supply dump on mars before we get there.
(08-08-2012, 10:52 PM)ghoullio Wrote: I don't understand why we can't place a supply dump on mars before we get there.

Good heavens don't call such a thing a 'dump'. You'll put the enviro-psychos into full arsonist mode! Call it an Inter-planetary healing center or something like that ...
-- Henry Mencken
(08-08-2012, 11:08 PM)mr_yak Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 10:52 PM)ghoullio Wrote: I don't understand why we can't place a supply dump on mars before we get there.

Good heavens don't call such a thing a 'dump'. You'll put the enviro-psychos into full arsonist mode! Call it an Inter-planetary healing center or something like that ...

You're beginning to sound like a full-time Jackass. S13
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
All the more reason to get the hell off this planet.
[Image: 000086f5_big.jpeg]
--- SCHiST Happens! ---
jt, IMO to be 100% safe of any glitch which could make the space essel miss its target or fail docking or fail to land or fail whatever extremely perilious operation is way more difficult to solve than radiations or wieghtlessness.
One failure and the whole crew is dead.

A Mars traveler can be happy if he comes back to Earth with "only" a cancer and on a wheelchair.
(08-09-2012, 12:02 AM)John L Wrote:
(08-08-2012, 11:08 PM)mr_yak Wrote:

You're beginning to sound like a full-time Jackass. S13

What the hell?? There is a big difference between trying to keep the mental patients calm and letting them run the asylum. These are freakin' deranged dangerous destructive crazy people John. Here in Colorado they burned down a resort that they didn't like because it was built in a (dry, combustible) forest. I don't like tip toeing around a lunatic anymore than the next guy, but if you can do something as benign as changing a 'label' in order to keep them on their Prozac ... why not?
-- Henry Mencken
(08-09-2012, 05:04 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: jt, IMO to be 100% safe of any glitch which could make the space essel miss its target or fail docking or fail to land or fail whatever extremely perilious operation is way more difficult to solve than radiations or wieghtlessness.
One failure and the whole crew is dead.

A Mars traveler can be happy if he comes back to Earth with "only" a cancer and on a wheelchair.

A requirement of "100% safe" is an absolute guarantee that it will never be attempted. The moon landings were accomplished with less computing power than that of a modern bread maker. I don't think the nature of 'Exploration' is really appreciated. If it were left to today's expected level of "acceptable risk", Columbus would never have left Italy ... let alone Spain.
-- Henry Mencken
People are willing to take that risk. Exploration is a human need. The long term survival of our species relates directly to colonizing other planets.