Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
War on Obesity
This looks like a step in the right direction. Its interesting how sometimes the 'off the wall' things can do the most good: UT Southwestern Doctors Make Obesity Breakthrough

Quote:Some North Texas researchers believe they have found a way to control obesity by manipulating molecules in the heart.

Researchers at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas have demonstrated, for the first time, that the heart can regulate energy balance.

“We discovered a protein that’s expressed in the heart, it’s a protein called MED 13, and it turns out that this protein regulates metabolism in the whole body,” explained Dr. Eric Olson, chairman of molecular biology at UT Southwestern.

Dr. Olson said researchers fed mice a high-fat diet, then ‘turned on’ the protein and were genuinely surprised.

“Of course we went back and said ‘wait a minute we better check this again’ and have done it many times,” Olson said, “It was really unexpected. We didn’t go into this looking for a way to treat obesity, it just was a serendipitous observation.”

Of the test Dr. Olson said researchers learned, “We can make them resistant to obesity,” but that wasn’t all, “We can also treat many of the other aspects of abnormal metabolism like the struggle to lower cholesterol and improve glucose handling in these animals.”

Researchers said despite their high-fat diet the mice stayed lean as long as the protein was ‘activated’. When the protein was removed the mice become obese.

Olson said they’re now using the protein to develop an obesity drug that might also be used to combat high cholesterol and Type 2 Diabetes. But researchers say that drug is still a long way from even being tested in humans.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

THIS is how the zombie apocalypse starts...
War on obesity? Yea, get out and move around more.

Perhaps this is a breakthrough, but I look at it as basically the expensive way of doing our best to keep people from having to exert themselves. Culture of convenience.
I just discovered a new weapon in the War on Obesity.

It's called the bicycle.
You sure it isn't sarcasm? Cuz it sounds like you think fat fuckers should go get a bike, and theyd no longer be fat fuckers. What if they are too fat for a bike, huh?

In. Your. Face.
I can't vouch for this discovery on how to effortlessly lose weight. But I can heartedly vouch for what a bicycle can do. Even if Tait is using some sarcasm, he is right on the money. I've lost between fifteen to seventeen pounds by using my bike. And yesterday returning home from across town, I saw a fellow using a mountain bike on the road, and he was a pretty big guy. Certainly bigger than me, and from the picture of you from the back, I'd say he was about your size. I could be wrong though. But a good mountain bike, or hybrid, is designed to take a lot of stress and strain, and is more rugged than a street bike. Mine is set up for street mostly, with the thin tires, and it supports me nicely. And I'm just a hair over 220.

There's only one thing better for someone trying to lose weight and get in shape, and that's swimming. The cop next door used to have a department bike, but is now a detective. He gets out and runs, and I advised him that if he wants to keep those joints in good shape when he gets my age, he needs to get back on a bike and stop jarring the hip and knee joints. He agreed, but only time will tell if he gets another bike.

I can't say enough good things about a bike. Its so much more fulfilling than running or walking. And it keeps you cooler too. The only bad thing is that you have to watch out for the kooks behind the wheel. Some of them will look right through you and never register that there is a biker ahead. But when I go somewhere where there is a lot of traffic, and no bike lane, I usually take the sidewalk.

I've noticed that when a person gets old, the use of the legs is the most important thing to keep that person healthy. When they can't use those legs properly, its just a matter of time before they get fitted out for a casket. And a bicycle keeps those legs strong.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

Do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?
(05-05-2012, 11:26 AM)ghoullio Wrote: Do you ever take it off any sweet jumps?

If you mean, do I ever try to go airborne, the answer is no. If you mean something else with "sweet jumps", you'll have to explain it better.

Ghoullio, don't be hater because you're a lard ass. If they're too fat for a bike, they need to stop eating first. Oh snap!

JohnL is right. I start my day with a four mile ride to campus from my house, and end it with a four mile ride back. I have an older mountain bike I bought off craigslist for $60 and put a further $100 in parts into it. It's great, I keep my wonderful physique, and it wakes me up and leaves me feeling good in the morning.

The best thing as John said? No tearing up of the knees and hips! Go on craigslist, and look around for a bike. The hardest step is getting started. Just imagine the gas money you'll save by riding everywhere.
I just looked on the local Craigslist and immediately came up with this steal. Cannondale bikes sell for well over $1000, and getting a good used one for $160 is really a bargain. I'm sure these bargains exist all over the country.

[Image: cannon1.gif]

(05-05-2012, 12:25 PM)Gunnen4u Wrote: Ghoullio, don't be hater because you're a lard ass. If they're too fat for a bike, they need to stop eating first. Oh snap!

JohnL is right. I start my day with a four mile ride to campus from my house, and end it with a four mile ride back. I have an older mountain bike I bought off craigslist for $60 and put a further $100 in parts into it. It's great, I keep my wonderful physique, and it wakes me up and leaves me feeling good in the morning.

The best thing as John said? No tearing up of the knees and hips! Go on craigslist, and look around for a bike. The hardest step is getting started. Just imagine the gas money you'll save by riding everywhere.

If I were a student I don't doubt that I would have plenty of time to ride around on a bicycle. But as I am a working father my time is spent between working 60 hours a week and raising two boys. Gas prices aren't a concern for me, I make plenty of of money selling more advanced forms of transportation.

I don't know how old your boys are, but if all of you had a bike, it would be a great way to spend time together. When I am exercising with the bike, I usually go to a nice sub-division and hit all the streets and cul-de-sacs, which are hilly and make me work harder. But its safer.

I also bike to the grocery store, and carry a back pack, which I fill up with food and bike back home with it. It really burns up the calories.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

(05-05-2012, 09:17 AM)John L Wrote: But a good mountain bike, or hybrid, is designed to take a lot of stress and strain, and is more rugged than a street bike. Mine is set up for street mostly, with the thin tires, and it supports me nicely. And I'm just a hair over 220.

No it isn't, nothing is stiffer than a carbon-fibre racing bike. Which has a weight of about 15lbs and goes easily 25mph+ on the flats, while SUV-like mountain bikes come with 30lbs+, and can't go faster than 15mph. The one on the pic isn't bad, but the frame is too narrow and can get more easily distorted than one where the upper tube is horizontal. A large frame is better than to pull the seat out too far, its tube can bend and break. The handlebar is quite narrow, a wider one gives more control. Breaks more easily though, that happened to me last year. Very spectacular fall. The cables for brake and gears are above the upper tube, should be underneath or on the inside. Sweat is mighty corrosive, and eats the cable brackets in no time. The fatter the frame the more weight it can support, I wouldn't try this Canondale with more 220 lbs. Good buy for the price, nonetheless.
"You know, Paul, Reagan proved that deficits don't matter." Dick Cheney
Well thank you for splitting hairs for all of us "Q". If you will go back and re-read, or most likely read, my earlier post, I used that as an example of how good deals can be had. Naturally Kris is not going to travel all the way across the country just to purchase a bike. But thanks anyway. S17

No, I'm not going to go anywhere to buy a bike. My diet gives me everything I need to maintain my weight loss.
Another way to fight the war on obesity is to stop shoving tons of corn and grain products in your mouth.
Hey, be nice ok?

What?

It's true -- ask Ghoullio -- his health was mightily improved by ceasing to ingest corn syrup, corn products, and tons of grain. Ever notice how the food pyramid just says to eat more and more grains? Ever notice how EVERYTHING has some grain syrup or product of some sort? I cut back on my intake immensely (but I still like to have some here and there).
Yeah, I know he's losing. I really need to get back on the bike so I can take off more myself. I really do.

As for all that 'grain' shit, I stick to protein and fat mostly. I rarely eat breads and never have pasta, period! I only rarely have rice, and almost always make my stir fry without rice. I stay away from all those "disgusting" carbs.

I eat a good bit of legumes. I get them dried and go from there. Most are pinto beans, which I make into refried beans, mixed with extra virgin olive oil and just a little bit of ground beef for structure. Lots of seasoning and they go on practically anything. Mmmm, good.

But I do fall off the wagon, like I did today. I had some of those chocolate donut holes. I'm ashamed of myself too. S7

Corn is not the issue here, dude...

Seriously though, you are what you eat. If you eat like a cow you will look like a cow. We went and saw Avengers tonight and I had a bucket of popcorn for the first time in months. By the time I left I swear I was sweating pure butter from my pores. I felt disgusted with myself. I'm going to make up for my impulsive shitty decision by eating a half pound of bacon for breakfast tomorrow morning.

As per biking, I totally would but a.) don't have time and b.) I live in the ghetto with no sidewalks and there's no way in hell I'm going to trust riding in the street with the way these A-holes drive. I used to bike like a mother fucker, in fact a large reason for my knee pain is a result of stopping after riding for so many years. We, as a family, rode about 10 miles a day, at least. We were some biking fools. Last bicycle I owned a few years ago I crumpled after a few months. I bent the shit out of the forks and tore up the rim. It wasn't made to handle my weight I think. A bicycle is on the list of Shit I Want to get, but after shooting a 1911 last weekend, a pistol has snuck it's way up to the top of the Shit I Want list.

Oh, and fuck corn syrup. Fuck it right in it's "disgusting" shitty asshole. That stuff is nothing but pure poison and it's being pumped down our kid's gullets. Nothing makes me angrier than reading the monthly menu from my kid's schools. I don't know what planet these people are from, but french fries are not a fucking vegetable. My oldest will eat right, but they've screwed the palette of my youngest one. He isn't down for food unless its processed, freeze-dried, and completely devoid of any natural nutritional value.