Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Significant Passings
I didn't know this, but Harry Morgan just died last week. His passing has taken away a part of my life, and reminds me that I too am not getting any younger. S4

[Image: harry-morgan-mash.jpg]
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

I first remember him as the next door neighbor in a 1950's sitcom.
'It's not who votes that matters, it's who counts the votes'  |  György Schwartz, Budapest, Hungary

I'll miss this guy. I had prayed he would be healed, but, it wasn't to be(I'm sure Chris would rag my ass over that if he was here right now).

One of the brightest intellects I ever saw.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/pagevie...g-opinions
Hitch had so many people praying for him he didn't have time to get upset.

He was the ultimate rebellious man. Always looking for something to fight against. And naturally Christianity represented part of the Western World's sense of order, so he naturally had to be against it on general principle.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"INSIDE EVERY PROGRESSIVE IS A TOTALITARIAN SCREAMING TO GET OUT" - David Horowitz

This is kind of what his little brother said. He just felt Chris was at war with God because at the bottom of it all, there He is. #1 object to rebel against.

I hate it for Chris and his family. I really meant it when I said I'd miss the guy, even his anti Christian rants because an atheist buddy of mine always got me involved in various debates where he would use Chris' logic and as weird as it sounds, I enjoyed the contest.

Back hand compliment, Chris was as effective as it gets along those lines. He had a great intellect, no doubt about that.
I'll miss him too Patrick.

I'm sure he is somewhere rebelling against something or other. S1

Wasn't he the lead singer for INXS and hadn't he died a long time ago...?
[Image: 760.png]
(12-16-2011, 12:45 PM)ghoullio Wrote: Wasn't he the lead singer for INXS and hadn't he died a long time ago...?

S13S13

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

After reading that, I tend to think if Chris was raised in India, he'd have railed on Hinduism as opposed to Christianity. He took that 100% secularist mentality, there is no chance that there is a superior being to humanity, it's unthinkable, so all faith with him in any God was an intellectual nonstarter.

Some of the anti Christian cohorts he associated with I do not respect because they are simply anti Christians with a religious axe to grind, they themselves are believers in pantheism(Sam Harris for example) or varied other ideas of God or gods, Chris was 100% determined and self confident atheist, with him there was 0 question about that issue.
Here's another famous person's passing: Vaclav Havel. Definitely one of the most significant figures responsible for bringing down the Iron Curtain.

[Image: 2011-12-18T113644Z_01_SIN907_RTRIDSP_3_CZECH-HAVEL.jpg]

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/opinio...yt&emc=rss
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-16239693

Well, I will be goddamnned. Ghoul Pool anyone?
I read this quote somewhere (maybe on this thread?) and very much agree with him, but I doubt if most people do.

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”
I loathe people who keep dogs. They are cowards who haven't got the guts to bite people themselves.
~August Strindberg
This could get interesting. His kid still hadn't consolidated his grip as the official heir to the throne. Might be a power struggle coming.
(12-19-2011, 07:19 AM)Georgie-Porgie Wrote: I read this quote somewhere (maybe on this thread?) and very much agree with him, but I doubt if most people do.

“The four most over-rated things in life are champagne, lobster, anal sex and picnics.”

At my age I tend to agree with all of them.

Oh, I'm going to try to merge this thread with the RIP thread. The process of merging threads on this software is difficult at best to get right.

Wesley Pruden compares Kim Jong-il to Havel, and [url=http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/dec/20/pruden-kim-jong-il-sharing-a-grave-with-"disgusting"-aplen/]makes a nice comparison[/url] of our two latest exits.

For some reason, Kim Jong-Il going over Jordan seems somewhat poignant. I dunno, it's strange that even when a rotten turd of a man is now gone, the world doesn't seem right. I suppose that happens with anyone of any real political significance.
After about 2-3 years of uncertainty, the fat son of Kim Il Jung will be in control, more sadistic than his father, and all you folks well experience a wave of gratitude, a sense of continuity in regard to the consistent despicability of NKO.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.
Fortunately the ROK is more than capable of handling the NKs if they choose to invade the south. The only thing the ROks are short on is a nuclear deterrent. My guess is that both ROK and Japan can have nuclear weapons in less than two years if the choose to do so.

Mourning Kim Jong il

[Image: 802764-111223-kim-jong-il-mourning.jpg]

[Image: 207332-north-korean-citizens-mourn-kim-jong-il.jpg]

Morning Vaclav Havel

[Image: A-man-reacts-as-pays-last-005.jpg]

[Image: People-jingle-keys-in-a-s-006.jpg]

Which is staged, and which is sincere?