Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Vostok, Please Come In!
Something strange is going on at Lake Vostok Station. Its been almost a week, and worried colleagues in the US are really beginning to grow concerned. The first thing to come to mind here is John Carpenter, and his rendition of John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There/The Thing". And sure enough, it is also raised in the article.

But there could be a logical explanation as The Daily Mail suggests.

Russian intrigue? Alien creatures? Catastrophic water pressure explosion? Or just some blown tubes in the Russian radio? Stay tuned.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
"Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it" - Jonathan Swift, 1710
(02-04-2012, 09:52 AM)John L Wrote: Something strange is going on at Lake Vostok Station. Its been almost a week, and worried colleagues in the US are really beginning to grow concerned. The first thing to come to mind here is John Carpenter, and his rendition of John W. Campbell's "Who Goes There/The Thing". And sure enough, it is also raised in the article.

But there could be a logical explanation as The Daily Mail suggests.

Russian intrigue? Alien creatures? Catastrophic water pressure explosion? Or just some blown tubes in the Russian radio? Stay tuned.

It is possible that the warm pool area was under pressure and exploded when they penetrated the lake area.

That's completely feasible. Then again, the Russians may have clamped down on information escaping. It could be anything, but would still make for a good SiFi horror plot
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Wouldn't all that liquid water two 1/2 miles down under the ice, be under a tremendous amount of pressure? The article said the scientists were concerned about possible explosive releases of oxygen and nitrogen. But what about immense hydraulic pressure from the water itself? Maybe the camp has given way to a huge fountain, gradually freezing into some kind of monstrous ice sculpture.
What about viruses that we're sealed off eons ago that might now be released?
[Image: 760.png]
If there is a geyser of pressurized water, I would think it would be big enough for it to be seen via satellite, don't you?

Anyway, there is something going on down there.
A high pressure geyser would make for some excellent snow.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Hmm...ice, water, and knowledge seekers wandering about. Sounds like a great setting for mysterious imagination in the tradition of modernized ancient myth as in "release the Kraken" or better yet discovery of "The Thing"!

Now not to raise any alarms but...be scared be very scared:

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn10...ef=dn10676
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former."

Albert Einstein
This is the same story line by line as Alien Against Predator, and not The Thing, I'm afraid.

They were also searching for somthing big and unkown under 2 miles of ice in the Antartica...
They spent weeks drilling just to see the next morning that the Predator spaceship had done the whole work, even larger, in one second with a laser beam...
(02-05-2012, 07:30 PM)Fredledingue Wrote: This is the same story line by line as Alien Against Predator, and not The Thing, I'm afraid.

They were also searching for somthing big and unkown under 2 miles of ice in the Antartica...
They spent weeks drilling just to see the next morning that the Predator spaceship had done the whole work, even larger, in one second with a laser beam...

Never seen "Alien Against Predator"(wasn't that one animated?), but it certainly reminds me of the John Carpenter movie.

That was Alien Vs. Predator, and it was a 2004 live action movie. Link: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/alien-vs-predator/

It had a box office take of $80,281,096.
(02-06-2012, 12:57 AM)Ron Lambert Wrote: That was Alien Vs. Predator, and it was a 2004 live action movie. Link: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/alien-vs-predator/

It had a box office take of $80,281,096.

I guess some people will watch anything; even crap.

It wasn't crap, and not animated, but you shouldn't take it as "possible" fiction.

But the similarity strikes me with the Vostok drilling.
They are not looking for a lake but for an ancient temple pre-dating all civilizations known to man.

You see the genre... S5

What,... I like these stuffs...
(02-04-2012, 04:40 PM)John L Wrote: If there is a geyser of pressurized water, I would think it would be big enough for it to be seen via satellite, don't you?

Anyway, there is something going on down there.

How many birds do we have in orbit that cover that area? Been a long time since I did the math but it takes more energy(money) over that area (pole to pole vs. equatorial orbits). That is why launches go west to east.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
They've broken through, it should be interesting to see what they find.
The true purpose of democracy is not to select the best leaders — a clearly debatable obligation — but to facilitate the prompt and peaceful removal of obviously bad ones. 
Awww shucks, I was hoping we would have a real life horror event. S11
They seem to have broken through. And they were counting on getting some flow of water upward, to prevent the lake from being contaminated by lubricants they were using with the drill. They said they expected the water to surge upward, then freeze, sealing contaminants away from the lake.

Quote:The team's ice-coring drill broke through the slushy layer of ice at the bottom of the massive ice sheet and reached fresh, liquid lake water on Feb. 5, at a depth of 12,366 feet (3,769 meters) according to the press release issued today by the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute.

. . . .

Sergei Lesenkov, a spokesman for Russia's Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute, based in St. Petersburg, told OurAmazingPlanet....that it appeared lake water had shot dozens of meters up into the long borehole, but that an announcement would likely come on Thursday morning, local time.

. . . .

The Russians have maintained that, because the Freon, kerosene and other hydrocarbons in the drill fluid are less dense than water, that they will be pushed up through the borehole and will never touch the lake. Today's press release states that this has indeed been the case, and that drill fluid was pushed up and away from the lake itself and into sealed containers.
Link: http://news.yahoo.com/success-russian-te...04371.html

Looks like Russia has some good engineers.
Indeed, they are positive that lake water went to the drilling pipe and then froze before pushing the lubricants toward the surface.

Unfortunately they had to leave the station before the end of the "summer".

What I don't know is how are they going to do with the whole thing full of ice? The water of the lake froze in the pipe, preventing contamination, ok, but now what? Are they going to drill again inside the pipe, heat it up, or something?
Perhaps the drill is hollow pipe, like any well-driller, and the water that surged up and froze did so on the outside of the drill. Even if the water did surge up into the drill pipe itself, it only rose up a few hundred feet.
They will pour vodka down the pipe, i.e old fashioned antifreeze.

Do these guys have a fishing license? Perhaps they will catch a trilobite or a sturgeon.
Jefferson: I place economy among the first and important virtues, and public debt as the greatest of dangers. To preserve our independence, we must not let our rulers load us with perpetual debt. We must make our choice between economy and liberty, or profusion and servitude. If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of caring for them, they will be happy.